Thread: Are Blazer 40gn .22LR and CCI Mini-Mag 40gn .22LR the Same?

Josh Smith

Are Blazer 40gn .22LR and CCI Mini-Mag 40gn .22LR the Same?

Hello,

I got to looking at the specs on these two cartridges. Both are 40gn @ 1235fps, and both are headstamped CCI.

I would like to use the Blazers to practice and the CCI to hunt. However, I don't want to be contaminating the CCI lube with Blazer lube or vice versa. Therefore, does anyone know if they use the same stuff? I don't want to sight in one only to find out that the POI has shifted and end up having to shoot 20 just to get the barrel re-seasoned.

The CCI Mini-Mags let me hit small game at 100yds; the Blazer is not 100% consistent beyond 50yds or so. In other words, given a 1" PB for the vitals, I'm confident of hitting it with the Mini-Mags, not so much the Blazers.

I do form both in D Rock's tool, but Blazers just have more variation from cartridge to cartridge when powder charges and bullet weights are concerned.

Thanks,

Josh

Basic Member

Re: Are Blazer 40gn .22LR and CCI Mini-Mag 40gn .22LR the Same?

Get at least 10 boxes of different .22 rf in the velocities and bullet design you want, pick a calm day, set up a 25 yard target, set up sandbags or a rest on a solid bench and shoot 10 shot groups at 10 different 1/2 inch dots on your target. It will amaze you to see the difference in the groups for each ammo type. Your rifle will tell you which ammo to buy and use. I have one rifle that loves wolf target, another that loves the Federal Game Shock (or whatever its called). If none of the first 10 ammos are winners, get 5 more types. You will find what your rifle likes.
    Just my 2 cents
    rc