Thread: RL-17 and the 7mm-08

uad7116

RL-17 and the 7mm-08

has anyone used RL-17 for the 7mm-08, if so could you please share your load data, I'm looking to use some 140gr sierra prohunters I got today and cant really find any data for the 140's. Also looking to see if anyone has data using Hybrid 100v in this cartridge? I have a email out to the powder people and sierra but dont want to wait till next week for the data, thanks Kris

TechHunter

Re: RL-17 and the 7mm-08

Am not a reloading expert but, my understanding is that R17 shines with the heavier bullet weights. I did use some r17 on my 7mm-08 (McGowen 24" barrel) with 140 grain bullets. I've since lost all the data in my laptop and do not recall the specific charges but if I remember correctly, once I approached 2900 FPS I started to get signs of over pressure like flattened primers and ejector marks on the base of the brass. I did reload some of that brass one more time and it was apparent that the primer pockets had enlarged as some of the primers became loose in my receiver upon firing them. If you would, please post your data if you ever get around to it. Am curious to see if I should give it another try.

Regards

fastgixxerlv

I'd like to know your results with this powder also. Grated I'm using it for a .308 with Berger 185gr. Sure I'm getting more velocity but the accuracy is absolutely horrible. I have tried them jammed, off the lands, different cases, different primers and still no luck. ???

uad7116

I haven't had much time to do much with the RL-17 and 7mm-08, but today I shot some 140gr sierra prohunters over 45grs of RL-17 and I didn't have the chrony with me so I don't know the speed but the accuracy was better than expected, I shot three 5 shot groups at 100yds and the biggest was around 7/8 inch and the smallest 5/8 inch with no signs of over pressure in my gun.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.