Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good Thumb Hole Target Stock

Banned

Good Thumb Hole Target Stock

This is a longer term decisions, I am still working up to speed on my first project.

The shooting is all bench rest, front and rear sandbag supported. 308 Varmint and a Bull barrel and 30-06 Bull and for now (I just like 30-06, fits in with the mil surplus collection and my dads restored 1903 Sporter). I know I am not likely to compete (though possible if I can ever retire), I do want to get down into the sub 1/2 MOA and at a reasonable cost.

Range currently is 100 yds, I want to do the 300 yd range when I get to the point I am happy with results, and possible to make a special trip occasionally to a 1000 yard range.

The donner for the 30-06 was a 111 BTH, I thought I would like that style Thumbhole and I do, nice looking as well and I am partial to wood and expect the laminate should be more stable. Will see how that stock does, I do want a good one for the 12FV (and possibly shift the 30-06 barrel over to it for single load shooting)

I am not into bedding though I have a brother who is and can go that route longer term. .

So, what would be a solid but best priced Laminated Thumbhole stock that has a good slid chassis or steel insert that would support the 12FV action for this style shooting? If there is such a thing.

Pre pillared? I am not into futzing with wood (or laminates!) any more than I have to (the BTH is getting the channel worked down for the bull barrels but that's a pretty easy job).

Team Savage
    If and when you get the bug to install pillars (very much recommended), look at the Richard's Micro-Fit line of stocks. Not drop in by any means but with the price and selection, one of the better deals out there. They come pretty rough at times and sometimes pretty nice so be prepared to do some work on the outside for fit and finish. Know ahead of time that there will be work needed but everything you do to it makes it "yours".
    I have or have had maybe 10 or 12 but I'am no expert, just appreciate the selection and cost of a nice stock for the $$.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I don't know of any with a metal bedding block pre installed, that is with laminates.
    Personally for what you want to do I would stay away from a Boyd's, but give the Stocky's a look to me they seem to be a little heavier. They have a link on the sponsors page and are running a clearance sale right now some thumbhole laminates as low as $150. Usually drop in fitment.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    And, if you "really" get into it, think about a Whidden V Block. Metal to metal mounting and actions can be swapped from one stock to another. More work to install the V Block but you end up with a solid mount and no worries about it shifting, ever.

Banned
    That's an interesting device and thank you all for replies, any more ideas are welcome.

Any idea why center feed does not work? My 111 is 2003-2006 or so and has it, as I single feed its not an issue I would think to just leave the guts out of the magazine though you would drop rounds in there form time to time I would think.

IIRC center feed mag wells are slightly smaller 1/8th or so And less in width.
    I would think an enterprising person could make it work.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Boyd's has a huge variety of stocks, quick delivery, and very good prices. For the price difference between Boys's and most other stocks, you could get your stock and buy one for your brother too with the understanding that he would epoxy bed and pillar bed both of them and still come out ahead.
    One of my F-class competition guns has a Boyd's stock and the other a McMillen costing 6 times as much. I prefer the Boyd's............. by a good margin too.

Basic Member
    Going back to your original requirement, 1/2" at 100yds, I get that kind of accuracy from a Boyd's laminate thumb hole, and a Stocky's Laminate thumbhole. The next best step up is a B&C with a metal bedding block. It's about $100 more, but as far as action beding, it's the "bee's knees". You can spend thousands more, but you can't do any better as far as action beding is concerned. ;-))

Basic Member
    This Thumbhole stock comes with pillars installed. I am shooting one now in a 12FV, quality is very good. http://www.eabco.net/Savage-Thumbhol...k_p_14233.html

Banned
    That does look interesting. Pardon my ignorance, but how does the pillar bedding part work?

Pictures anywhere or site showing the type they use?

Team Savage
    The pillars fit in the stock where the action screws come up thru the forearm. They are glued in place. The action mounts on top of them. Metal to metal or in some cases action to plastic. They keep the stock from being crushed when the action screws are tightened. After the pillars are mounted, the action is bedded to the stock.

Basic Member
    I would give Manners a hard look. Costly but will give you what you want.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Banned
    Its on the maybe list, I like the looks of wood, laminates full fill that though I know they are not traditional wood stocks.

Cost is a factor as well and how much to spend vs my capabilities.

Good to hear the Boyds can shoot as that was part of the 111 BTH selection (used) , I liked the setup I got as for that gun it saved the cost of a stock (and I got the acu trigger I wanted as well as the barrel nut that did not need to come off). If it shoots good enough for that gun I am good.

I have the 308 with the cheap plastic stock I want to upgrade.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    That does look interesting. Pardon my ignorance, but how does the pillar bedding part work?

Pictures anywhere or site showing the type they use?

Pillars are steel tubes mounted into the stock thru which the action screws attach the action to the stock. This eliminates typical screw torque variances due to wood stock swelling or contracting due to moisture content, or splitting of stock wood along laminate lines. This model stock uses pillars that appear to be identical to Savage parts. It's a drop-in fit, the only thing I did extra was epoxy bed the action using Devcon 10110, but you don't have to do that to get good performance.

Banned
    Thank you, I am 99% sure that's the way I will go, seems to meet all my needs and I am not ever going to be competition grade.

Team Savage
    As far as single feeding a center feed stock, Sharp Shooter Supply makes a single feed adaptor so the mag isn't needed. Makes the action a solid bottom so no chance of loosing rounds into an open hole.

One thing about Boyd's, if you're considering one, is that their wait time is now over two months since their factory redo.

Team Savage
    And with any gun stock OR smithing work, take a number and wait in line. Patience IS a virtue. I place my order and try to forget about it. When it shows up, it's CHRISTMAS!!!

Banned
    I put in the order for the Wood Laminated from the EABCO company

Price was good, color choice ok, has the Pillars, I think it will be good for what I want.

Nice bonus free shipping

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Nor Cal Mikie View Post
    And with any gun stock OR smithing work, take a number and wait in line. Patience IS a virtue. I place my order and try to forget about it. When it shows up, it's CHRISTMAS!!!

Shades of being on Alaska in the 50s and early 60s, order and forget it.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    ................. I am not ever going to be competition grade.
    Don't bet on it. It sounds like you enjoy chasing accuracy. Once you get your rig built and tuned up and your hand loads dialed in, don't be surprised if you start looking around for a friendly F Class match. You can have lots of fun with a 1/2 MOA @ 100 yds rifle and expect to take home some gold, or at least silver, with a .400 or .350 MOA gun. F class has a lot to do with reading the wind. The folks who do it are only half crazy, as opposed to fully certifiable nuts as they are in some target shooting classes. They're generally nice too. If you have a close by 600 yd range which hosts F class matches, give it a try. But be warned, you might get hooked.

Banned
    The though has crossed my mind when I shot a .250 group, then it uncrossed it when I shot a 1 inch group!

Its in the back of my mind after I retire, sadly that's some years in the future.

I can't say I have an wind reading in me, so I am at least not F class nuts, but I am not sure how sane I am regardless. I do like nice nuts though.

I think you have to get on military base for any match shooting though being a citizen in good standing I can do that (they let me cut xmas tree out there each year so....)

Banned
    I got my EABCO stock, very nice. Beautifully done. Fit is spot on. Good solid, meets full expectations.

They don't ship free to Alaska, very nice young lady explained it to me, I tried to joke with her we were part of the US but she was having none of it, totally committed to getting me the stock ($11 more) or allowing to cancel. I had to appreciate here sincerity. We are used to it, Ak and Hawaii are not part of the union (I think we should get the same rates as everyone else but.....)

My trigger guard did not fit but that was a mater of opening up the slot a bit more and grinding down the old one at the front.

The Varmint barrel cutout (Savage heavy) is free floating. It will get a bull and I will need to do a bit of opening up at the front but I wanted the stock and its work I have done on the 111 BTH so its not an issue, I get to work with it now rather than wait for the bull cut. Sometimes a mod at the factory is worse than doing it yourself.

The Pilar system looks to work as intended and all went together with no issues. I had thought about leaving out the magazine as I single load but it is spaced to use the clip lip as part of the pillar so put that in.

I have a long weekend coming up and will shoot it Friday or Saturday or Saturday and Maybe Sunday.

I got my EABCO stock, very nice. Beautifully done. Fit is spot on. Good solid, meets full expectations.
    I really wish they offered that one in a 4.27. Thats a lot of stock for the money.

Was the recoil pad nicer than the standard pad from Boyds?

Banned
    I have an older BTH on my long action and its a hard plastic and I have not see the current so I don't' know if they stack up (and mine is an original Savage BTH and don't know if Boyds has better or different now on after market). Ok for a hunting rifle which my donor was. Not something that is good to shoot a lot, ok, for 100 rounds and then starts to hurt. I just put my slip on now and its fine.

This one looks decent if not good (have to shoot it). It has the open cell system so it looks like it should do a good job. For sure on 308, probably 06 levels, probably not Magnums but I would want a Limb saver if I ever got nutty enough to get one of those again (I had a 7mm Rugger , sold it when I quit hunting and won't be hunting again)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast