Thread: To sell or not to sell, that i sthe question...

To sell or not to sell, that i sthe question...

I have an older Savage large-shank, long action, flat back action chambered in 7mm RUM in a Bell & Carlson Medalist stock (iirc). It has the three-screw trigger and sporter barrel.

I haven't shot this rifle in years.

I don't find it painful, just no where or reason to shoot it.

I have two types of guns/actions that I would really like to buy - a heavy barrel, magazine-fed PRS-style bolt action rifle and a heavy barrel BPCR silhouette-style rifle.

The money from the Savage wouldn't come close to paying for either type of rifle I'm wanting to buy, but it would help.

I don't know about anyone else, but I have this problem with being able to separate myself from a gun that I own even if it has no sentimental value and I don't currently use it.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    I have sold a lot of guns over the years. Some I miss, some I don't. It's an individual thing, in my mind. Your current action will not fill the bill, obviously, even if you tried to build one. About all you'd get from a sale would be enough to buy a decent tang sight for the BPCR (maybe).

LOL so I'm not the only one. I have some old hens teeth locked up that haven't been out of the corral for ages including a 116 lefty flsak in 300 RUM.
    That thing has been sitting forever and I haven't had any of those pesky garden rhinoceros show up lately.
    I found out long ago that it's a whole lot too much gun for southern whitetails and I'm really not into paying RUM price for reduced 30-06 or win mag velocity power level ammo.
    I'm sure someone else would probably enjoy it much more as a shooter or as a stainless left handed edge repeater project,
    but It would take some pretty sincere temptation to get me to loosen the reins and let her go.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    I have sold a lot of guns over the years. Some I miss, some I don't. It's an individual thing, in my mind. Your current action will not fill the bill, obviously, even if you tried to build one. About all you'd get from a sale would be enough to buy a decent tang sight for the BPCR (maybe).
    Yeah, I'm not sure what it's even worth.

I think it would take more money for me to set this action up to shoot what I want to shoot than if I start with another action.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    LOL so I'm not the only one. I have some old hens teeth locked up that haven't been out of the corral for ages including a 116 lefty flsak in 300 RUM.
    That thing has been sitting forever and I haven't had any of those pesky garden rhinoceros show up lately.
    I found out long ago that it's a whole lot too much gun for southern whitetails and I'm really not into paying RUM price for reduced 30-06 or win mag velocity power level ammo.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    I'm sure someone else would probably enjoy it much more as a shooter or as a stainless left handed edge repeater project,
    but It would take some pretty sincere temptation to get me to loosen the reins and let her go.
    I used to have delusions of grandeur about building an EDGE. But again, nowhere or reason to shoot it.

I've not looked up prices on the gun, yet. I fear that offers for it would be substantially less than what it's worth. I realize it's not a thousand dollar rifle, but I'm not going to just give it away.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Basic Member
    Haven't looked at used prices for a long time, but my guess is somewhere south of $300.
    The 3 screw triggers are nice, I have one. Before you sell it, make sure there isn't some std caliber that you might want to have, and then work towards your other dream guns.

Dog Walker
    when I was younger I often sold things to buy the next thing then often regretting selling the first thing , now I don't sell any of my things, and have no regrets all my things are still here , but I still have the regrets of the old things that I sold to buy the new things and often I went back and repurchased at a hire price the old things that I had sold, wisdom has shown me it best not to sell your things

Quote Originally Posted by handirifle View Post
    Haven't looked at used prices for a long time, but my guess is somewhere south of $300.
    I'd pay that all day long for a complete Ultra Mag rifle in a Bell&Carlson.
    The OP should be able to fetch $700-800 for it easily, possibly more.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    beware, once you build a custom bolt rifle, none of your other rifles will ever be the same...

Boy do I know this feeling. I have 4-5 Savages in the safe that never come out and have been thinking of selling all of them to finance a custom for short range b r .
    I'll probably make up my mind after I get my action back from Sharp Shooter, t & t and a trigger, see how it does then decide.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rjtfroggy View Post
    Boy do I know this feeling. I have 4-5 Savages in the safe that never come out and have been thinking of selling all of them to finance a custom for short range b r .
    I'll probably make up my mind after I get my action back from Sharp Shooter, t & t and a trigger, see how it does then decide.
    Have him chamber about 6 different barrels to try also before your final decision lol.

Yobuck I gave at least 3 barrels sitting here also, a;; SS select match grade.
    There is just something about a cnc hand polished action that has me thinking( that can be dangerous), but then there is another stock($$$$), trigger, scope and bases and rings, plus a barrel, the list just goes on & on. Sitting here thinking about it I would need to sell more of them plus a few shot guns and maybe a hand gun or two.
    Oh well scratch that idea.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    Well not including the purpose the action serves to some competetors like Lonewolf, once the round is chambered in a trued action with a good trigger, assuming of coarse an accurate load, what else affects accuracy other than the barrel, and obviously the shooter?
    Sharpshooter has set records, were they with custom actions, or factory versions he tuned himself?
    Mind you I think life is short, and we should have and do what makes us happy if at all possible.
    But does what makes us happy also make us better at what we do?
    At least for most of us, how much difference will we find between good and very good or even the so called best?

The only round that I could honestly use, that I could use the LA receiver to build, is a 6.5x55 Swede.

Sure, I'd love to have a .375 H&H or similar, just because. But I can't rationalize a build on a caliber I can't realistically use for hunting or target shooting.

And I still have the Stevens 200 short action.

I've not put a price on it, but I'd never let this rifle go for anything near $300.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    The only round that I could honestly use, that I could use the LA receiver to build, is a 6.5x55 Swede.

Sure, I'd love to have a .375 H&H or similar, just because. But I can't rationalize a build on a caliber I can't realistically use for hunting or target shooting.

And I still have the Stevens 200 short action.

I've not put a price on it, but I'd never let this rifle go for anything near $300.
    Hunting season is upon us, the 7 rum is a very good as well as a popular cartridge.
    If you have no need for it, id personaly be sending it on to someone who does.
    Ive sold a few guns at substantial losses because they didn't fit as I had originaly thought they would, and I wanted to move on.
    At some point in life, owning more than we use or need can be a burden. That includes the things we enjoy also.