Thread: First Savage

First Savage

I just joined the forum a day or so ago because I just got my first Savage today. It is a 12 VLP .223 with 9 inch twist.

I am an old guy and have owned many firearms but never a Savage. I ordered this one because I want accuracy from a bench for 100 to 300 yards and my last efforts with other brands were disappointing. I thought Savages were not known for looks but their reputation for accuracy is strong so I ordered one. Well, this particular rifle is nothing less than beautiful.

I don't know yet if it is accurate but I get to go to the range tomorrow and, if it is not too crowded, I will find out then. I do have a question though. The LGS guy said he was surprised that the barrel was not crowned. It is recessed and I thought that was one type of crowning. Is that normal for the 12 VLP?

Welcome to the forum from one old guy to another.

Basic Member
    Strange LGS dude... Savage recesses most of the varmint barrels, if not all, as far as I know.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thank you both.

Basic Member
    My son has a 12FV in 223. With our handloads it is a one hole shooter. Extremely accurate.. We use 52 Sierra match bullets. and 335.

Banned
    I don't know technically how they break it down, but to me a recess is a form of crown (which is really silly if you think about it, a crown should go up not down)

So its a form, Target crown has 11 degree slope (if I recall that right) recessed and a couple of other forms.

Recessed is more rougher field protection , why 11 degree target I don't know or the other forms but all have smooth edges at the rifling for a good even bullet exit.

this seems to cover it.

http://riflestocks.tripod.com/targetcrown.html

Thanks, I think the opinions vary on which type of crown is best, but I also thought a recess was one accepted version. Anyhow, I got to the range today and it shows great promise as is.

Zilla, do you know what your twist rate is?

The 12 FV in 223 are 9 twist, this model is a Cabelas "exclusive", I've got one and mine shows lots of promise in the accuracy dept as well.

I've been fighting with a RAR for the past few months, and now that I've got it usable, I can move on to my other "projects", such as my 2 FV 12's in 223 & 204.

Basic Member
    An 11deg target crown displays the gases escaping the barrel groves and assures the shooter has no damage to the crown. When inspecting the muzzle after firing, there should be a little "fan" at each groove, meaning the gasses are escaping evenly around the bore. Some purist like to keep it "in the white".