Thread: New barrel arrived dirty??

Basic Member

New barrel arrived dirty??

Bought a NIB .243 HB Axis HB from a Gunbroker vendor(also a brick and mortar store). The bore is really dirty, looks like heavy fouling, have not cleaned it yet. Anyone experience the same, is this the result of the manufacturing process, a protective coating, or..... ? All else is as it should be for a nib gun.

thanks, Brian

Team Savage
    They are test fired before shipping

Basic Member
    I guess the bean counters think running a patch after shooting would ruin the price point. Does anyone know the powder used in the test? Frigging dirty for one shot.

Brian

Pastprime
    It should clean up nicely when you do the barrel break-in routine.

SidecarFlip
    So, clean it....

My 460 Performance Center long barrel wheelgun came copper fouled. No biggie. S&W test fires each pistol (more than once) prior to shipping I cleaned it and carried on....

Basic Member
    Pretty sure it is 5 shots to test for function. And Savage isn't the only one, had a Ruger American that was filthy before it was ever shot by me.

I would guess these gun manufactures must purchase a lot of ammo for test firing. In todays price competitive environment and companies cost cutting measures I would assume they buy cheaper low cost ammo. I have been impressed with the lower priced Privi ammo and how it shoots but man a couple of shots down the barrel and it is filthy. I just think its the sign of the times. No harm. Clean, shoot and enjoy.

Savage uses mostly Federal and Winchester ammunition for all of their centerfire testing (mostly Federal since they're owned by the same parent company). Savage first shoot a proof round through the barreled action, then after final assembly it has a full magazine run though it to test function.

Basic Member
    always clean the bore of a new gun before shooting it!!!

Missouriblue
    How much did you pay if you don't mind me asking? I'm looking for a axis hb in .308. Thanks

Team Savage
    All of my new factory Savage come dirty, both inside and out. It looks almost like a brownish rust when the new gun is wiped with a white rag. I believe it is cosmoline, or another type of metal preservative used by gun manufactures to prevent metal damage while in storage. The manufacture don't know how long, or under what environmental conditions the factory boxed rifles will be stored by the distributor and retailer before sale. It is easily removed with a good cleaning.

My new Axis was plenty dirty when I opened the box. Of course. I expected to clean it as I would clean any gun that is new to me. There is a "Zen" thing with gun cleaning that I enjoy. I say that as I sit here sipping coffee, preparing to clean three of them from my time in the woods yesterday.

That's pretty well the norm. I always clean new barrels, even my own. Just a good safe practice. It doesn't bother me, nor does it stop my process.

JMO, D
    [B][SIZE=3]Dennis[/SIZE][/B]