Thread: Donor for .223 build?

Basic Member

Donor for .223 build?

As I load a ton of 223 as it is, I figured that having a bolt rifle in 223 would be a fun time. My AR's are fun, and sometimes the 308 bolt gun is more than I feel like shooting, so 223 it is.

Im looking for a rifle, new or used, for a 223 build. Any pointers on what I should look for? Id prefer top bolt release, with DBM if possible. Top bolt release because I can find more stocks. DBM, because I found that adding the DBM later might be a more expensive proposition than just finding a rifle with once you buy the DBM and a couple mags.

Ill probably go the same route I did on my 308, replace everything except the action and bolt, and pillar and bed it.

New is fine, providing its comes with DBM and mags. Used is fine, if the price right, even if I have to add the DBM and mags. I dont want to build on an Axis!

Thanks!

Basic Member
    Get a short action of course.

Gunbroker.com for used guns. But, look at Dicks SG for a 24 inch heavy barrel .223, with nice looking but flimsy stock. Has DBM. Would be good gun to start shooting today and upgrade as you go.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    The tough part will be finding DBM with top bolt release. They aren't made that way anymore, as far as I know.

Might be better off getting a Hog Hunter or Cabela's 12fv (both are top bolt release, blind mag) and then buying factory DBM bottom metal for top bolt release. I might be able to come up with a s/n for an older gun that came that way from the factory so you can get the parts you need.

scuzzy
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    The tough part will be finding DBM with top bolt release. They aren't made that way anymore, as far as I know.

Might be better off getting a Hog Hunter or Cabela's 12fv (both are top bolt release, blind mag) and then buying factory DBM bottom metal for top bolt release. I might be able to come up with a s/n for an older gun that came that way from the factory so you can get the parts you need.
    i agree with the savage 12fv from cabelas. you could get the 12vt from dick's with dbm, but will cost too much, imo. they both have the nice varmint/'tactical accutrigger.

i have some savage factory bottom metal for a model 10/11/12 that I no longer have use for, and could be parted with it for the right offer. Either way, good luck with the search. if you want to build, you will be better off buying the 12fv to start with. i searched for years, and it is, by FAR, the best value for any savage short action out there. the word is out, people are buying used ones for too much money for builds nowadays.

Basic Member
    Cabelas has a 10 percent off, making the 12fv just over 400 OTD.

Basic Member
    Thanks for the ideas. Ive looked at Cabelas and in stock stuff usually is usually plastic mags and DBM. Id prefer to have metal mags and DBM. Im not opposed to buying the DBM and mags, its just that if Im going that route, I just want to start with a beater short action top release like I did with my 308 to drive the price down on the overall project.

So the best option is just to look for a short action rifle, top bolt release most likely. Then purchase the DBM, mags, and trigger guard from Savage similar to what I did for my 308 build. Im assuming taking a 308 and just changing the bolt head will work correct? Then add barrel/stock/etc as I see fit?

Here is the link to my 308 build:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...10-308-Rebuild

Basic Member
    ^ this :-) ^

Basic Member
    Look at it online, order it to the store. The Cabelas 12fv is internal mag, top bolt release. No better deal right now for a gun that reputably shoots out of the box...

I've watched gun broker for a while, looking for something in .223 to build or buy. After purchase price, shipping, and FFL, I am out at least $325 for beater actions in any caliber. And, I rarely saw .223 that went for less than $400.

Because you are looking at .223, the 12fv gets you a new gun shooting right now. If i hadn't just bought the HB Axis, in .223, I'd buy it now myself.

The only other usual option for a beater donor is LGS or pawn shop.

Last edited by hereinaz; 09-16-2016 at 01:30 PM. Reason: Added additional info on my own search for .223 Savage.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Look at it online, order it to the store. The Cabelas 12fv is internal mag, top bolt release. No better deal right now for a gun that reputably shoots out of the box...

Looks like a good deal. Also considering looking at the Model 10 FCP-SR as I wouldnt mind having the 10 round mag for 308. Its also top bolt release, but Id want to look at the DBM and see if its steel or plastic. If the DBM is steel, then Id be willing to spring the extra cash for it. Time will tell, need to do my research and just buy once.

Is the 223 DBM the same as the 308 DBM? Im just assuming its a different mag?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaldor View Post
    Looks like a good deal. Also considering looking at the Model 10 FCP-SR as I wouldnt mind having the 10 round mag for 308. Its also top bolt release, but Id want to look at the DBM and see if its steel or plastic. If the DBM is steel, then Id be willing to spring the extra cash for it. Time will tell, need to do my research and just buy once.

Is the 223 DBM the same as the 308 DBM? Im just assuming its a different mag?
    Dang, this is making me wish I'd have seen the 12fv before I got the Axis... And, I dont mind building off of Axis at all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hereinaz View Post
    Dang, this is making me wish I'd have seen the 12fv before I got the Axis... And, I dont mind building off of Axis at all.

Nothing against the Axis but I prefer a Model 10 style action. Better support and parts selection overall. Ive been looking thru Armslist and such for awhile now. I bought my first donor for $300 with 100 rounds of 308 with it, was a great deal. Need to find another like that.

Basic Member
    I received an email today from Cabelas that they have a 10% off firearms and ammo sale right now.
    Last edited by WV1951; 09-17-2016 at 08:32 AM.

Basic Member
    Cabellas 12FV when on sale with the Savage rebate is pretty hard to beat. Pretty easy to get into an action for less than 200 if you sell the stock and barrel.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iowa Fox View Post
    Cabellas 12FV when on sale with the Savage rebate is pretty hard to beat. Pretty easy to get into an action for less than 200 if you sell the stock and barrel.
    +1