Thread: Savage Model 19 NRA

tulskii

Savage Model 19 NRA

Need some help on the Savage model 19 NRA in regards to the deluxe. Has anyone seen one to know if they actually exist. I have seen deluxe models of the 22,23A and 23AA but cant find anything mentioning the NRA being in a deluxe version. Any information I can get will be appreciated.

There is nothing wrong with shooting as long as the right people get shot - Dirty Harry

No such animal that I've ever heard of.

tulskii
    Well I have one checkered in the same pattern as the 22 and 23's I have seen but had never heard of it either. I have no clue whether any of them are authentic. I also have all 4 of the 19's you want pics of but I haven't taken pics at this time.

So it's a 19 NRA with the military style stock and it's checkered?

Could be a later model 19 without the military stock.

They did make a deluxe model for a couple years that was chambered in 22 mag in memory serves.
    Savage- "never say never".

tulskii
    Its the military stock and a very early gun 1643 serial number. Its correct in every way, but at one time had the Unertl type scope blocks and the holes were filled with screws and cut off. Very neat job of it as I didnt notice them for a long time. Now has the original single hole receiver sight. I"ll post pics tomorrow.

Basic Member
    A few years ago I saw pictures of an early 1919 NRA that was checkered, it also had wood with more figure than standard. The consensus was that it was not factory but I saw only one detail that might rule that out - the forearm was grooved with checkering through the groove, that was one detail that suggested the checkering was after market. The serial numbers on the receiver, stock and butt-plate all matched which is never the case with these, in fact it's the only one I have ever heard of with matching numbers, which I think is a detail that adds to the possibility of it being factory.

Do all the numbers match on yours?

added - Found the old posting of the 1919 NRA with checkering - http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthr.../New_Savage_19
    Last edited by Sav22; 09-19-2016 at 10:02 AM. Reason: added link

tulskii
    Sorry I didnt get these posted yesterday. After looking at the Gun digest price book I figure the checkered ones are all done custom by either Stevens or after market. They say the stocks were all plain.

http://www.carbinesforcollectors.com/savage.html