Thread: Selling gun at show our local shop?

soutthpaw

Selling gun at show our local shop?

I have never sold a gun at any kind of shop or at a gun show. So my question is, what sort of price sold be expected compared to selling in person to another private party? I know if you take general merchandise to a pawn shop, they want to give you 10 cents on the dollar, which is ridiculous. Which would be the best place to sell for the most money? I have plenty of gun stores locally (Reno, NV) Was thinking of selling my 116FLSS just to buy a newer version with detachable magazine and Accustock. Craigslist does not allow gun sales. Not sure if there is a good way to advertise locally. Plus there is not a big market for Left Handed guns.
    Thanks.

Basic Member
    Gunbroker.com charges about 5%
    Armslist.com is free

Buyer pays you directly, you ship to an FFL of their choice. Easy and affordable.

Basic Member
    Also, there is a big demand for left handed rifles. You are likely to get more for it than a righty. Trick is to advertise nationally.

I have sold a few on Armslist with good results. But be prepared for alot of weird trade offers. But by far the best results I have had selling a gun are right here in the classifieds.

soutthpaw
    I will go and talk with the folks at Sparks Black Rifle where I bought my last gun and see if they handle that shipping and what it costs.

Quote Originally Posted by soutthpaw View Post
    I will go and talk with the folks at Sparks Black Rifle where I bought my last gun and see if they handle that shipping and what it costs.
    With few exceptions you can ship a rifle straight to a FFL holder personally. No need to send it from a FFL unless the receiving FFL refuses to accept from a non-FFL holder.

Now, if it just makes you feel more comfortable then by all means send from your local FFL. Just be aware that there is no federal requirement to do so. It only has to be shipped to a FFL.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

It's been my experience that small local dealers have zero interest in left-hand guns and won't even make an offer to buy or take in on trade. Might have some luck in a larger market, but I would imagine any price offered would be significantly lower than actual value due to the risk that it's going to tie up their money for a long, long time sitting on their shelf. Same reason why most gun shops never stock any LH firearms requiring you to special order them and pay for them up front.

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_W View Post
    With few exceptions you can ship a rifle straight to a FFL holder personally. No need to send it from a FFL unless the receiving FFL refuses to accept from a non-FFL holder.

Now, if it just makes you feel more comfortable then by all means send from your local FFL. Just be aware that there is no federal requirement to do so. It only has to be shipped to a FFL.
    That's good to know, I have a commercial UPS account. So i need to do anything special when I ship it? Declare contents, can it go standard ground?

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    It's been my experience that small local dealers have zero interest in left-hand guns and won't even make an offer to buy or take in on trade. Might have some luck in a larger market, but I would imagine any price offered would be significantly lower than actual value due to the risk that it's going to tie up their money for a long, long time sitting on their shelf. Same reason why most gun shops never stock any LH firearms requiring you to special order them and pay for them up front.
    That was my thinking. If there was a big demand, more shops would stick them as well as manufacturers would also make more of them.

Guns must be shipped from a UPS Customer Center (no UPS Stores).

Packing and Labeling Requirements for Firearms
    All firearms must be shipped in new corrugated packaging which meets the UPS Single Wall Box Strength Guidelines.

All firearms are to be packaged in accordance with UPS Packaging Guideline Specifications. Ammunition must be shipped separately from packages that contain firearms (including handguns).

Packages containing handguns must be separated from other packages tendered to UPS for delivery.

The shipper must use Delivery Confirmation Adult Signature Required service for each package containing a firearm, including a handgun or a firearm suppressor, and affix a UPS label requesting an adult signature upon delivery.

The labeling and outer box markings on all firearms shipments should not identify the contents as containing a firearm. Labeling, including the shipper's and consignee's abbreviated names on the shipping label or air shipping document, must be non-descriptive.

For more: UPS
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

Basic Member
    I've done both, sell guns to pawn shops and privately. If you want the most amount of cash for a gun, I recommend selling privately. If the pawn shop has a gun you're interested in, then I would see what they'll offer for your gun(s). I recently traded several 22 short rifles and a 30-30 that was beat up and wouldn't cycle too well for a new smith 629 5". It cost me $250 out of pocket for the gun.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    You can also ship USPS and no special marking or packaging is needed. I have done it and no big deal.
    On the sale, gunbroker is easy. Whatever you do, be sure to take your time and take good pics. You may have a local ad bulletin/bulletin board type paper if your state allows face to face sale.
    Armslist.com is state wide, and you might find someone very close.
    I definitely would not wholesale it to a local dealer or pawn shop.

You may be able to find a local lefty even easier than using Armslist.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by WV1951 View Post
    You can also ship USPS and no special marking or packaging is needed. I have done it and no big deal.
    On the sale, gunbroker is easy. Whatever you do, be sure to take your time and take good pics. You may have a local ad bulletin/bulletin board type paper if your state allows face to face sale.
    Armslist.com is state wide, and you might find someone very close.
    I definitely would not wholesale it to a local dealer or pawn shop.
    Yep, NV is face to face, no paperwork needed for private sale. Unlike the People's Republic of Kalifornia 20 miles due west. Sold a couple guns to a friend that way.

Basic Member
    I said earlier there is a big demand for left handed guns. I should have said there are very few left handed guns readily available for sale, and therefore those who want them will pay more for yours than they would otherwise. That's why I say advertise nationally, like on Gunbroker, so those looking for one will find you. Once they do, they will likely pay more for it than a righty might for the same gun that is right handed. Also, in my experience, the post office is a good, easy shipper, and most towns have one fairly close-by.

Local shops around will sell your guns on consignment for a fee,had good luck doing that.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    You may be able to find a local lefty even easier than using Armslist.
    Hint.

Check my location, and check your PM inbox.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

soutthpaw
    Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Hint.

Check my location, and check your PM inbox.
    Mailbox was full, emptied and sent u a pm

Basic Member
    i have used "backpage.com" many times to list firearms for sale, you pay to advertise like the old newspapers but it's cheaper. you can select what areas you want to place your ad.

Bruce
    Holy Crap!!

BredWest
    Basically, from what I've seen, it's just the selling of overpriced weapons, ammo and gear. I quit going to shows a while ago.