Thread: Savage Long range hunter--Accuracy?

vet2371

Savage Long range hunter--Accuracy?

I have a LRH in 6.5x284 on the way. How accurate can i expect this rifle to be out of the box? I am hoping for a 1/2 MOA gun. What are you guys seeing as far as accuracy?

Team Savage

Re: Savage Long range hunter--Accuracy?

If you handload, that may not be completely outside the realm of posibilities... If you can find the right recipe. I would expect 3/4 moa or better.
    Stu

Basic Member

I have 4 savages, I have got all 4 to get .25" @ 100 yards, I spent allot time testing, but I got it there, That gun should be easier than others since it has allot of good features to get you there quick, I seen the TV program GunNuts on Outdoor channel, they tested factory, 4 different factory ammo, and 3 got in a dime! It will shoot dont worry ! My friend has the same gun on the way, he see's my Savages shoot and that is why he bought it, he also waned the 6.5x284

Basic Member

I have 2 savages and a rem 308 the savages are .223 a 10fp and a model 12 F-Class 6mm br all 3 guns shoot about the same .3 moa from 100 to 300 and then at 600 .6 moa.
    If you reload you can do it, I had no problem, I did find that the savage do best .005 out of lands all i did was put a bullet in a empty case close bolt pushing bullet in case (no primer in case) then useing a hornady bullet comparator $34, set bullet depth .005 from bolt close results add 30 gr of varget for 6mm br and 25.5 for 223 all useing sierra match king bullets, thats it

longpoker

Thats great to hear you are getting the same gun that I have had on order for awhile. I am hoping that it is as accurate as the one on The Gun Nuts T.V. show. I am an old hand loader so that,s what I going to feed it.I have several boxes of bullets ready to load,139 gr.Laupa, Sierra 142gr.,123Sierra and Berger 140gr. and lots of H4831sc and Reloader 22 and IMR4350, I hoping for some great groups. What do you guys think about barrel break in?. If my barrel has any chatter marks I might fire lap it to smooth out the bore for less fouling.
    I have always liked the .284 case and have had several in 6mm x 284,it is really accurate.

Basic Member

I broke mine in according to savage requirments clean after every round for first 20 then after that after next 20 or until you see no brass or copper, go to Krieger barrel they have a good article on break in