Thread: Savage 212 feeding issue

NEIAHillbilly

Savage 212 feeding issue

I've got a Savage 212 that won't feed 2 3/4 inch shells. It will feed 3 inchers all day long but really hates the shorter shells. Watching it as the shell comes up the long shells stay at an up angle. The shorter shells will start to come up and once in awhile feed correctly. Usually the front of the shell will drop down and hit way under the chamber. I've tried different weights of shells, tried some light loads thinking the shell weight may make a difference, it didn't. I bought a new magazine and that also didn't make a difference. Like I said it loads the long shells fine, I'd just like to be able to try the shorter ones. Anyone have any experience in this. I emailed Savage direct but haven't heard from them yet. Thanks for any help.

I can't offer any guidance as both the 212 and 220 that I tested in the past fed the shorter shells from the magazine just fine. Normally with problems like this I would say try tweaking the magazine feed lips a little, but since these are ply mags that's not really an option.

NEIAHillbilly
    I messed with it a little more and found..... how to take apart the magazines. I tried stretching the springs a little but that didn't seem to help. What I did find is if you try and chamber a round like you normally would with the gun horizontal, there's feeding issues with the short shells. If you hold the gun pointing up it will chamber a round just about every time with the short shells. The short rounds are a bit lighter than the long rounds so to me it shouldn't be an issue with a weak magazine spring. Or does it have more to do with the shell angle and pointing it up allows for a better feed angle? I can't see anything else inside the gun that could cause an issue. Does anyone out there know if you can order replacement or stronger springs for a magazine? Thanks

Definitely wouldn't be a follower spring issue for the very reason you stated. Most likely what's happening is that when the rim of the shorter shell clears the magazine feed lips it allows the nose of the shell to drop and catch on the breech of the barrel. It doesn't happen with the longer shells because by the time the rim clears the magazine the nose of the shell has started into the chamber.

NEIAHillbilly
    What you described is what I'm seeing when it doesn't feed correctly. I was thinking the front was dropping/dragging for some reason, not that the back was coming up. I tried spreading the spring again and it worked for 3 times thru the gun and then started acting up again. The magazine spring is a series of ovals the length of the magazine and ends on the front end of the magazine. So to me that's will give the least force on that end. The spring can only go onto the baseplate one way so it can't be reversed. I've looked online a bit and didn't find any replacement springs for it. It sounds like this is not a regular issue, so I guess when I'm out of 3 inch shells I'll get another magazine to see if that will feed correctly. Thanks for the help!

NEIAHillbilly

Update

Well if finally have answers. I contacted Savage and was told to send it in. However I was concerned with our deer season coming up and getting the gun back and sighted in, in time. So I used some Federal Copper slugs 3" for deer season and had success with it. A fyi, the shells worked fine, recovered one slug, it had mushroomed great on one side the other was flat, it hit the shoulder, passed thru and embedded on the far side cavity, at around 100 yds. After season I contacted Savage again and sent the gun in. It was returned after about 4 weeks with no charges. So they must of found a manufacture's defect in it. There wasn't any kind of paperwork or explanation with it, so I don't know what they found. BUT the important thing is now it cycles the 2 3/4" shells and 3" shells smoother than it ever loaded shells before. Overall I'm happy with Savage's customer service. Just thought I'd give an update if anyone else has this type of issue.

Scott Schwab
    Quote Originally Posted by NEIAHillbilly View Post
    Well if finally have answers. I contacted Savage and was told to send it in. However I was concerned with our deer season coming up and getting the gun back and sighted in, in time. So I used some Federal Copper slugs 3" for deer season and had success with it. A fyi, the shells worked fine, recovered one slug, it had mushroomed great on one side the other was flat, it hit the shoulder, passed thru and embedded on the far side cavity, at around 100 yds. After season I contacted Savage again and sent the gun in. It was returned after about 4 weeks with no charges. So they must of found a manufacture's defect in it. There wasn't any kind of paperwork or explanation with it, so I don't know what they found. BUT the important thing is now it cycles the 2 3/4" shells and 3" shells smoother than it ever loaded shells before. Overall I'm happy with Savage's customer service. Just thought I'd give an update if anyone else has this type of issue.
    Sorry to revive an old flame here, but I just got a 212 and having the same issue! Did you ever figure out what they did to the gun to make it better? I just bought my 212 a month ago and it's pissing me off. Many other forums state they are having feeding issues with the 212 as well. When you got your gun back, did you notice what they did to remedy the feeding issue? Thanks!

-Scott