Thread: pre accu-trigger sear adjustment

Basic Member

pre accu-trigger sear adjustment

I picked up a 116 in 30-06 the other day at the local pawnshop,it has a Simmons 44 mag scope.I think I got a decent deal at $300 out the door..It shoots really well,but the trigger felt like a stiff shotgun trigger,no creep just stiff..I took the stock off,with the intention of adjusting the trigger tention spring..I was surprised to find the adjusting screw was already turned way down..I adjusted the sear screw,and that did the trick..The trigger feels really lite,but I still has no creep which normaly wouldn't bother me,but it does due to the fact that the previous owner tinkered with it..Do I need to take it back apart and adjust anything else,or is it safe in your opinion..

Basic Member
    How much sear engagement do you have? On a three screw .015 is the minimum, I think.
    I'm not sure if this info is accurate with the new Savage trigger (w/coil spring)
    This may be helpful: http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html

Basic Member
    I don't know how much sear engagement I have.The sear adjustment screw was turned out so far that it didn't stick up thru it's hole.It was about flush.I gave it one complete turn in,and it wouldn't engage,so I backed it off about half a turn..Im gonna take it back apart,and reset it using the link you posted as a guide..Thanks

Basic Member
    As long as the rifle passes the bump test you are good to go.

SidecarFlip
    Gotta love the 'bump test'....lol

I just accurized and trigger set an early model Savage 300 WM, cleaned the barrel (got rid of the front sight and plugged the hole and mounted a set of Bruce Talley rings) with a vintage Leupold 1" tube 4-16 fixed parallelax scope he wanted on it. The pre-accutrigger was, lets say rough. needed some careful stoning to remove the 'notch' and I set it as light as I could without failing the bump test.... Showing 2.5 on my digital trigger pull gauge. Went through the bolt and set the pin protrusion..

No, I didn't fire it. I left that chore for him. It has the old style basically solid butt plate snot stock and no brake and I'm not a sucker for punishment. I loaded up some 185 Bergers in Lapua Brass with Federal primers and jumped the Bergers 35 off the lands (which is about as long as will feed in the blind magazine) (I consider that too short but I'm not installing a Wyatt box too, it's a bang around rifle) and a mild load of H1000 and let him touch it off.... Not bad 1" group at 100 yards but got worse as his shoulder gave out after 5 rounds...........

Old dog. Make sure you have a little preload on the trigger return spring.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

I have and had a few pre-accutrigger Savages and none of them had any creep, just a a heavy pull weight.