Thread: Rear sight on new 64F moves all over the place! #$%@

Basic Member

Rear sight on new 64F moves all over the place! #$%@

The first 2 times I shot my new 64F with factory iron sights I was fine (not good yet, but fine).
    The 3rd time out I could not hit barn a barn door. Could not hit a 12" paper target at 50 ft! Put back in the bag and plinked with other guns.

So just now I go it out to stare at it and found rear factory sight moves all over the place with very little pressure. Windage of the back plate AND the riser move all overr. So just simple act of bagging the gun at the end of my 2nd time messed up the positions of the rear sight. Yuck.

This can't be normal. What have you folks found?

Basic Member

Set it back to Savage = solved.

A gun-counter guy at Cabela's (where I got my 64F on sale for $99) tried to re-clamp the rear sight so it would remain stable. No go. They set it back to Savage for me at no charge... Yea. Took a month. Now it is as solid as a rock. Yea!
    Last edited by DaveInDenver; 10-05-2017 at 03:35 AM. Reason: typo

Rjrufntuf
    Recently bought a mod 64 and have put about 400 rounds thru it. I have had quite a few issues with it. First , the rear sight was so loose i could not sight it in , and then the rear sight just fell out and was lost. I put a cheap 4x scope on it . Then i was having some light strike problems . It works most of the time so i am just living with it . The next issue is the tiny little knob on the slide , cant hardly get my finger on it and its really hard to pull it all the way back. With the scope on, it is even harder. Some really poor Design issues. The final issue is the loading of the clip , wow , i think it is the most diffacult clip to reload i have ever encountered in my life. Talk about sore fingers ! And as far as i can determine , there are no speed loaders available for this gun whatsoever. These issues are simple fixes , why hasent savage fixed these problems? Although i like the little rifle, i am going to get rid of it , mostly because of the extream difaculty in reloading the clips.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rjrufntuf View Post
    Recently bought a mod 64 and have put about 400 rounds thru it. I have had quite a few issues with it. First , the rear sight was so loose i could not sight it in , and then the rear sight just fell out and was lost. I put a cheap 4x scope on it . Then i was having some light strike problems . It works most of the time so i am just living with it . The next issue is the tiny little knob on the slide , cant hardly get my finger on it and its really hard to pull it all the way back. With the scope on, it is even harder. Some really poor Design issues. The final issue is the loading of the clip , wow , i think it is the most diffacult clip to reload i have ever encountered in my life. Talk about sore fingers ! And as far as i can determine , there are no speed loaders available for this gun whatsoever. These issues are simple fixes , why hasent savage fixed these problems? Although i like the little rifle, i am going to get rid of it , mostly because of the extream difaculty in reloading the clips.
    I too learned that the 64 has bad rep loading the mag. Ouch.

But I found guy selling mag loaders on ebay (listed below... sorry about the font, etc.) the worked fine after I took a flat file to this inside to smooth/polish it up.

I was still getting 10% light strikes after two returns back to S/A so my 64 is history.

Thumb Saver magazine Speed Loader for Savage and Lakefield 62, 64 and 954

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Thumb-Saver-...CQuGxODlHMYr5g