Thread: Count Down Begins!!

swamphonkey

Count Down Begins!!

20 more days for us south Alabama folks. WHOOP WHOOP!! I know it's stick n string but I'm like a kid waiting on Christmas. It's so dang hot still we might be in our skivies but it's better than just thinking about it.
    Who here is in Bama That is ready also ? I get to do a lot of depredations but it ain't the same as really hunting. Any one can shoot a deer out a field with a million power light in there face. I'm ready for snakes and skeeters..

Basic Member
    Have to wait for November for Centerfire here in Kentucky. This will be my first year Deer Hunting. Here is a Buck the trailcam has been picking up. We shall see if I can stock the freezer.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMAG0012.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	154.7 KB 
ID:	2165
    AXIS 7mm-08 , 22-250

swamphonkey
    Well good luck and don't get discouraged if you don't get him. Remember you are in a great state for deer hunting and anything can happen at anytime. Have FUN FIRST.. I see a lot of new guys and gals get discouraged because they don't kill a booner. And I've heard people say it's" just a doe" Every deer is wonderful. No matter what. I have fun and if I get a big buck that's just great but I'm happy taking a big old doe just as much. It's like this trophy hunting has taken the FUN out of it. And when did hunting become a "Team" sport. What a joke.. Hunt learn and have a good time and respect every kill and good luck.

Bow season started this past Saturday here(WV) ...entirely too hot for me. I think it was 91 Saturday! I actually haven't had my bow out yet. I've been playing ALOT with my rifles and they've got my attention right now. I'll get in the mood when it cools down some.

Good luck Rosco.....I didn't realize you hadnt deer hunted before! Taking your first deer is a feeling like no other!
    Good luck to everyone for that matter!
    Scooter

Basic Member
    Our bow season starts today. And I am taking a break from pouring a foundation for a 14x24 building. Bummer.

swamphonkey
    Well the master baiters are coming out in force. Lol empty corn sacks all over the side of the hwy. Here's a idea shove the empty sacks in each other and shove it under the tool box. They don't call it the dirty south for nothing. I picked up two black trash bags full of trash today along my property on the hwy. Every year it's like this right before hunting season starts. I'd love to follow some of these clowns home and throw trash along their yards in their little subdivision and country clubs. They get out here and forget their manners. I guess tomorrow I'll take my 4 wheeler and ride my line and see how many tree stands and trail cams I was left this weekend on my side. I love the gifts they leave me. Lol.

Basic Member
    Thanks guys much appreciated I just went by and checked the trail cam again and it looks like this buck likes to come out around 10 o'clock at night so maybe I should hunt in the evenings instead of the mornings?

And yes scooter I've never been a big hunter but I thought I'd go ahead and give it a try this year a bunch of my buddies have been getting on me for a few years.

First Shirt
    Been hoping the weather would cool off enough for some daylight hog hunting, either here or in Tennessee. We spent several hours in the blinds on Saturday and didn't see anything but tracks.

Got a Minion that has done great on hogs the last two years, but she really wants to get her deer this year. (She passed on one last year because she didn't think she could get a good shot because of the light brush. She's pretty savvy for only 12 years old!)

Personally, I don't care if she gets one in Tennessee or Alabama, I'm just hoping to get her a good shot this year.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    Well good luck and don't get discouraged if you don't get him. Remember you are in a great state for deer hunting and anything can happen at anytime. Have FUN FIRST.. I see a lot of new guys and gals get discouraged because they don't kill a booner. And I've heard people say it's" just a doe" Every deer is wonderful. No matter what. I have fun and if I get a big buck that's just great but I'm happy taking a big old doe just as much. It's like this trophy hunting has taken the FUN out of it. And when did hunting become a "Team" sport. What a joke.. Hunt learn and have a good time and respect every kill and good luck.
    Well think about it, the term (team) can actually be used quite often.
    Do well trained dogs create a team? Do groups of people doing deer drives create a team?
    And, if we were to remove all other deer hunters from any area except us, could the odds diminish?
    More hunters usually equals a better success ratio.

swamphonkey
    I see stickers on all the pretty 4x4s saying Team this Team that. I see kids now think if they don't kill a deer every hunt (and better be at least a 130" buck) they are in a poor spot. The T.V. hunters have kind of messed things up. Hunting is about so much more than killing bucks to put on face book. I seen a "TEAM" on tv. Shoot a beautiful buck on some ranch he hit it poor about 2 hours before dark so he waits all night goes in in the morning finds the buck (Ruined by coyote) and they are all bragging it up saying Team circle jerks or whatever is getting it done!. No you ain't you wasted a nice fat buck because you shot 60 yards with a bow and you got a rack to put on face book. If you are a team don't be scared of the dark go back in a few hours and recover. All that "team" wanted was film of a kill to make a "team" get points on a stupid game. That's not what hunting is. When the big buck contest started I knew it was going to go down. Then guys started running around shining folks land poaching bucks to "win" that trophy. Its like all the ethics go out when it's all about the prize or winner. Hunting is not a bass fishing tournament once you pull that trigger he's dead. You don't take a weight and release them. The deer woods is no place for tournaments.

swamphonkey
    Rosco, about your hunting only afternoon that's Not necessarily the way to go! He might be coming back through on a different trail. And just because you are getting him this week at 10 doesn't mean he won't be coming in at 8 am next month. The one thing I know about deer is they are not on a clock. They go where they want when they want. And you might have a better deer that you are not getting on film coming through there also. You have big bucks up your way and they travel during the rut. So you just never know. If you guys get to take doe I would take one and learn how to butcher and put up meat for sure and worry about bucks when it happens, and it will..

Basic Member
    Your probably right, I am just going to go.out and try and enjoy myself and see what happens.

swamphonkey
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosco View Post
    Your probably right, I am just going to go.out and try and enjoy myself and see what happens.
    That's All you can do. Go have fun. I had a screwed up first morning. Poachers went in before me at 4:22 first pic of them. Walked all over in full moon and deer were in spook mode. So I went home calmed down. Went in for evening hunt. Killed a 7 point I was after to cull him before he starts breeding. Yesterday slept in went in afternoon. Had a beauty of a 8 point come in then a big huge 6 point I'm after joined him just about 50 yards I won't take a 50 yard shot with a bow. Then they look back hard I'm getting pissed thinking it's another poacher. I was fixing to jump down I was so mad. The bucks walk off and about a 350 pound bear comes right in and starts eating acorns under me for ever! After about 45 min after dark I had enough got my flash light out shined him he looks up at me like Oh crap! I said get bear he books it. So I'm going to move my stand this afternoon to were that big 6 is coming out. And if I kill him I'll probably stop deer hunting awhile and let the clients hunt some of them pretty rack bucks. That 8 point is a fine trophy about 18" wide good mass at least 200 pounds. So I'll let him stick around to brighten someone's life. Hopefully not a out laws..