Thread: How low does the Rifle Basix SAV-1 go safely ?

Pastprime

How low does the Rifle Basix SAV-1 go safely ?

I've been doing a lot of reading here about the pull weight of these triggers. Am I correct that most people adjust them to approximately 1.5 lbs. to insure they are safe? I only do bench shooting now and want my trigger as light as possible. I did the DrThunder88's trigger shim and spring change and have a nice 1.5 pull but I"d buy the SAV-1 if I could get it to 14-16 oz. and safe for bench shooting from a rest. The rifle is an AXIS in .223. I shot my best 5 shot group at 100 yds. today - .360", but I can see the scope dot moving when I start the trigger pull. Sure be nice to eliminate that with a lighter trigger.

Worth buying one or not??

Hank

Basic Member
    I can't answer your question directly but if you want a 14oz trigger then you need a SAV-2 or a SSS trigger.
    Sorry for the lack of info.

Edit: I have a SAV-2 set at 14oz and it is quite reliable.

edited 9-23-16: FW Conch pointed out an error on my part, I have a SAV-2 installed on a 110 not an Axis.
    Sorry for the confusion and misinformation.

Basic Member
    I have not installed one on an Axis, but I just went through this on a Savage 10 action. The best I could do was 24 to 28ozs, to feel "safe" about it. Anything less "could" go bang when you close the bolt. In my case, I returned the Sav 1 and up graded to the Rifle Basics Savage 2. As far as I know, there is no Sav 2 or SSS trigger for the Axis?

I do not feel I am "nocking" the product when I say the Sav1 trigger cannot be safely set at 14ozs, which they advertise. Anything less than 24ozs, and it will bump fire or especially fire on a vigorous bolt close. Anyone who can avoid this is a better man than I.

It is My limited experience that when shooting a rifle of 16lbs or less from the bench, a 1 1/2lb trigger is a heavy trigger. With such a trigger I use what I call a "controlled jerk". If I try to "squeeeze" such a trigger, the cross hairs will be off the POI when the shot breaks. So when I am lined up I make it go bang, and train Myself to move the rifle as little as possible.

But with the Sav2 I have installed on My Sav10, I just "think it" and the shot breaks :-).

This is hard to explain, but I hope it is helpful :-)

Pastprime
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    I have not installed one on an Axis, but I just went through this on a Savage 10 action. The best I could do was 24 to 28ozs, to feel "safe" about it. Anything less "could" go bang when you close the bolt. In my case, I returned the Sav 1 and up graded to the Rifle Basics Savage 2. As far as I know, there is no Sav 2 or SSS trigger for the Axis?

I do not feel I am "nocking" the product when I say the Sav1 trigger cannot be safely set at 14ozs, which they advertise. Anything less than 24ozs, and it will bump fire or especially fire on a vigorous bolt close. Anyone who can avoid this is a better man than I.

It is My limited experience that when shooting a rifle of 16lbs or less from the bench, a 1 1/2lb trigger is a heavy trigger. With such a trigger I use what I call a "controlled jerk". If I try to "squeeeze" such a trigger, the cross hairs will be off the POI when the shot breaks. So when I am lined up I make it go bang, and train Myself to move the rifle as little as possible.

But with the Sav2 I have installed on My Sav10, I just "think it" and the shot breaks :-).

This is hard to explain, but I hope it is helpful :-)
    I appreciate the trigger pull explanation. I believe I understand everything you said. My problem is that I'm accustomed to "squeezing" or barely touching a trigger. I'll try the "controlled jerk" method. It makes more sense than a slow squeeze.

Hank

Basic Member
    Hold Your rifle up free hand, or take a simple rest, take aim on a small target and dry fire. Where were the cross hairs when the pin fell? This can tell You a lot about how much affect trigger pull is having on Your shot.