Thread: .223 vs. 5.56/5.56 vs. .223 Re-chamber

NoseWarmer

.223 vs. 5.56/5.56 vs. .223 Re-chamber

I know that it has been hashed out about the differences between 5.56 and .223...

My question is this, what would one gain/loose by re-chambering a .223 to 5.56?

Gain; Larger availability to ammo...

Loss; Loss of accuracy shooting .223 in the 5.56 chamber?

Thoughts?

Looking for a compromise get the wilde chamber.

Basic Member
    If you are talking about a factory barrel, it already has a chamber that will handle 5.56.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Quote Originally Posted by NoseWarmer View Post
    I know that it has been hashed out about the differences between 5.56 and .223...

My question is this, what would one gain/loose by re-chambering a .223 to 5.56?

Gain; Larger availability to ammo...

Loss; Loss of accuracy shooting .223 in the 5.56 chamber?

Thoughts?
    The difference is in the throat, or freebore if you prefer.

The problem with a "what's the difference" thread, is that no one sticks to the prints. There are about 6 different reamers all slightly different, that each company calls their "NATO" chamber. Likewise, I've only ever had over rifle that actually matched Remington's retarded original throat print to SAAMI.... That was a Remington. All of my other rifles have had something in between, and that was BEFORE some marketing jerkoff decided to whip up a frenzy about a "Wylde" chamber.

Personally, I've never found any accuracy loss with a 5.56 chamber. But great Scott you bleed off gas, and thus velocity!!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

I have one 5.56 ar I use as a truck gun and that ever popular shtf gun.

I am not enamored with the .223/5.56. There are a whole lot of cartridges out there better. Sure wouldn't chamber a bolt gun with it.

NoseWarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    If you are talking about a factory barrel, it already has a chamber that will handle 5.56.
    So what you're saying is, most factory .223 rifles are already 5.56 capable...

NoseWarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    The difference is in the throat, or freebore if you prefer.

The problem with a "what's the difference" thread, is that no one sticks to the prints. There are about 6 different reamers all slightly different, that each company calls their "NATO" chamber. Likewise, I've only ever had over rifle that actually matched Remington's retarded original throat print to SAAMI.... That was a Remington. All of my other rifles have had something in between, and that was BEFORE some marketing jerkoff decided to whip up a frenzy about a "Wylde" chamber.

Personally, I've never found any accuracy loss with a 5.56 chamber. But great Scott you bleed off gas, and thus velocity!!
    Thanks for the insight...

Quote Originally Posted by NoseWarmer View Post
    So what you're saying is, most factory .223 rifles are already 5.56 capable...
    Well I certainly would not say that.

Now is a .223 chambered rifle likely to blow up if a 5.56 is shot in it? Not likely.

Is it advisable? No!

There has been miles of print out there about this issue. Here is the best I have found

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/

NoseWarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Well I certainly would not say that.

Now is a .223 chambered rifle likely to blow up if a 5.56 is shot in it? Not likely.

Is it advisable? No!

There has been miles of print out there about this issue. Here is the best I have found

http://www.luckygunner.com/labs/5-56-vs-223/
    SO... Nothing lost, nothing gained if a factory barrel was re-chambered in 5.56 other than the loss is some velocity and access to surplus ammo...

As for the article, I also have read it and understand it that's why this question was posed...

Thanks for all the reply's...

Basic Member
    All Savage barrels chambered in .223 have a minimum of .100 freebore, exceeding 5.56 specs. If you put a 5.56 reamer in the barrel and give it a twist, it will cut nothing....
    Pay no attention to that luckygunner BS, as it is incomplete information and most does not apply. There is a difference between pages and pages of data, and the REAL world scenarios.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

NoseWarmer
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    All Savage barrels chambered in .223 have a minimum of .100 freebore, exceeding 5.56 specs. If you put a 5.56 reamer in the barrel and give it a twist, it will cut nothing...
    Thanks Sharpshooter...