Ok, I want to build a precision 30-06 rifle on a savage action. Here's what I'm thinking: used savage 110 action, 24" medium-heavy taper barrel, black and grey laminate stock (pillar and glass bedded), either accutrigger or aftermarket (depending on what action I end up with). How would you go about piecing this together? I can buy whatever used savage rifle for a donor action as long as it's a long action based on the 30-06 case (30-06, 25-06, .270, etc) right. For the barrel, I'm thinking a tapered barrel (similar to those on the savage precision carbines). Would a straight heavy barrel have any advantages? What about barrel length is there any reason to go longer than 24"? Where's a good place to order a barrel from and should I look for a specific type of 30-06 chamber (is there such a thing as a Match 30-06 chamber?)

This rifle will mainly be a range gun. I won't be trying to lug it around hunting, but I may try to get started in some of the less formal competitions. Most shooting will be at less than 800yds but I would like to try long range shooting upto 1500 yds if I can ever find a place to do so. I'm trying to stick with 30-06 because I like the round and already reload for my m1 and 03a3.

Thanks in advance
sven