Thread: building a precision 30-06

sven556

building a precision 30-06

Ok, I want to build a precision 30-06 rifle on a savage action. Here's what I'm thinking: used savage 110 action, 24" medium-heavy taper barrel, black and grey laminate stock (pillar and glass bedded), either accutrigger or aftermarket (depending on what action I end up with). How would you go about piecing this together? I can buy whatever used savage rifle for a donor action as long as it's a long action based on the 30-06 case (30-06, 25-06, .270, etc) right. For the barrel, I'm thinking a tapered barrel (similar to those on the savage precision carbines). Would a straight heavy barrel have any advantages? What about barrel length is there any reason to go longer than 24"? Where's a good place to order a barrel from and should I look for a specific type of 30-06 chamber (is there such a thing as a Match 30-06 chamber?)

This rifle will mainly be a range gun. I won't be trying to lug it around hunting, but I may try to get started in some of the less formal competitions. Most shooting will be at less than 800yds but I would like to try long range shooting upto 1500 yds if I can ever find a place to do so. I'm trying to stick with 30-06 because I like the round and already reload for my m1 and 03a3.

Thanks in advance
    sven

sven556

Re: building a precision 30-06

also, since this is my first savage rifle. What tools will I need to do this build? Can I get by with just a barrel nut wrench?

Eric in NC

Don't know much about the 30-06 but -

I would want a 26 or 28" tube if you are looking to get out to 1500 yards. I would also want a heavier barrel to soak up 1) recoil (not that the 06 is "that" bad - but a day at the bench shooting heavy VLD type bullets does get tiresome) and 2) soak up more heat. That is all if you are not going to have this as hunting rig.

Any of the sponsors on this site can set you up with a great 06 barrel (sinman, SSS, northlander, etc.) and the chambers they would provide would be "match" (tight) - the only other variable on chambering would be the throat (if you want to get it throated for a specific bullet).

You would need to come up with a good way to segregate your handloads - dollars to donuts that the best 800-1500 yard loads for your precision bolt gun would NOT be kind to your M1s (heavy bullets and stiff loads of slow powders are great for long range bolt guns but they don't make op rods and M1 bedding jobs happy).

You will need a nut wrench and a barrel vise or action wrench.

KRP

Go to 6mmBR.com and look for articles and posts by German Salazar. That should give you a ton of info on building and shooting a precision 30-06.

Basic Member

Northland has a 3006 shillen select match barel in stock...Look in the sponsors section
    Get one of his lugs, and you'll be in pretty good shape.
    You'll need an action wrench and barrel nut wrench, and a headspace "go gauge"

I built a package 111 with the same parts and with limited time to shoot so far I'm getting 2 inch groups at 300 yards. thats off shooting sticks. Bench would be better.
    Life is short, make every shot count.

Team Savage

You want a long barrel. I would say 28" or so and 10 twist.
    I would go for a varmint contour personally.

With that you should be able to launch 208 gr amaxes over RL17 at 2850-2900 fps.

That will get you out to 1500 yards and still be supersonic.

I would do a SS long action, maybe have it timed and trued, machined recoil lug, good stock and bed it like a medalist or other with a good recoil pad.
    Farrel base, extreme rings. Very high end scope. SSS trigger.

That should do it.

Basic Member

I forgot to add the standard pay for the memebership cause the info you can find here can save you huge$
    Of couse the member classifieds can also cost you huge$.....
    Life is short, make every shot count.