Thread: winchester vs hornady brass for 6.5 creedmoor

Team Savage

winchester vs hornady brass for 6.5 creedmoor

I have been loading win brass, because its what I had at the time. So far for a cheep brass its been just fine as far as I can tell. I discovered 100 rounds that I had dallas custom reloads put together for me back before I started reloading. The good is that it is 140 hybrids and hornady brass. The downside is they are very short and unknown powder. My thoughts are back and forth between just pulling the bullets and rebuilding them to the load that works.

The problem may be the brass. I dont know if the two are so different that the load would change. i.e. internal capacity. Im thinking that I probably wouldnt notice the difference. Using 42.1 gr of h4350 currently so Its not real hot by any means.

Originally had planned to change over to all hornady brass at one point but have been satisfied with the win to this day.

Now if they arent that different, could I just mix them in and give it little thought?

And second question, just for fun here. Its 100 rounds. Would you pull them or shoot them to start over?

Basic Member
    I've had better luck with Winchester. The Hornady brass from what I recal was a bit thicker. I definitely had more stretching and had to full length size more with the Hornady, I generally just neck size.

I wouldn't trust your current load in another brand of brass. Doubt you be pushing pressure limits but your accuracy may suffer with a change of pressure. Could always pull some and try your current load for 3 rounds etc before loading the rest. That's if your planning to pull the DC rounds and load your own

As far as just trying the DC loads as is, that be your call. My rule of thumb is I want to know all components and distance from lands etc before I discharge an explosion against my face. I'm sure they're fine but it's just playing it safe

Winchester hasn't owned brass making ability for about a decade now, they just buy on a least-cost bidding system.

I wouldn't worry much about a capacity difference with that size case. I've been using mixed and reformed stamps past a Mike for several years. I have no clue what capacities are, just group sizes.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Team Savage
    Well I shot 40 of them today in my backup creedmoor just to get it on paper and zeroed after putting on the new scope. The remaining 60 Ill just pull and reload. Initially I think Ill keep them separate as in being their own box and see if there is any noticeable difference. Hey even if there is, its the wife's rifle.... Maybe Ill win that day.

Team Savage
    recap: I pulled two bullets and poured out the powder. I compared it to h4350 and it had the same nice greenish gray. Then i weighed it out, it weighed out at 42.1, same weight we use for T's rifle. I was expecting maybe imr4350 because that guy used both of those powders. I just dont think it was gray enough to be imr 4350. The pre made rounds are oal 2.746. My load oal it about 2.844

So down side is the oal. So they are 30 thou shorter than mine. So I think its the same components, same bullet, good brass. I dont know what the primer is but every primer Ive ever purchased from him has either been cci200 or what ever that similar federal one is. All I know is Dallas guy said it could be this or that one etc. But after pulling some and seeing that they were exactly what we load in her precision rifle with the only difference being 30 though deeper seat so we will keep them as is for practice.
    Last edited by doctnj; 09-06-2016 at 10:36 AM. Reason: auto correct not correct at all. + no proof read

SidecarFlip
    Jump is everything, just ask Walt Berger or Brian Litz.

Team Savage
    I certainly wouldn't use them as is in a competition. But practice might be fine. Pulling all of them and re seating for just a slight difference seems a pia. Especially considering the brass is not even fire formed.

The 40 that was shot sure did stretch! They all had to be trimed a lot.

Norma makes quality creedmoor brass. Don't see the logic in inferior brass. When you take into account how many times you can reload it the cost.of quality brass winds up less than powder.

Lapua will be making creedmoor brass soon. I will certainly have my order in.

Team Savage
    They better make a ton of it because everyone will have their hand out.

Basic Member
    Have had good luck with Hornady brass in my 308. Working good so far in my creedmoor. Have noticed the primer pockets seem to go out faster in Hornady brass than others in my 308. Waiting on Lapua to start selling them next year for the creedmoor. A little expensive but great for doing load development.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

SidecarFlip
    Way beck when, when, when Hornady came out with 338 Lapua brass I bought a box. It was less than ideal. Same issue, soft case heads tossing primers. I just stick with Lapua or Norma brass. I've heard good and bad about PPI (Privi-Partizan) brass but never used any.

Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    Norma makes quality creedmoor brass. Don't see the logic in inferior brass. When you take into account how many times you can reload it the cost.of quality brass winds up less than powder.
    Curious how you figure this? Assuming we ignore any normal production snafu, Hornady builds to 120% of SAAMI max, and Lapua builds to 130%. Unless you are over-pressuring, either is perfectly fine.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Curious how you figure this? Assuming we ignore any normal production snafu, Hornady builds to 120% of SAAMI max, and Lapua builds to 130%. Unless you are over-pressuring, either is perfectly fine.
    Depends on what you are trying to do.