Thread: 12LRP 6.5 Creedmoor chamber fixed yet?

toonand1

12LRP 6.5 Creedmoor chamber fixed yet?

Apologies if it's been addressed already, let me know the thread if so.
    Has this chamber cut short issue been resolved? Seems like it was more than a couple rifles that had this going on. I want to go get this rifle TODAY, but I am worried I'll buy it and it'll be like so many others, straight back to savage. I searched a lot and have not found a peep from savage about this. Was there serial numbers identified as being defective? Was it all of them? This thing is sweet and the trigger is amazing but I can't find anything about acknowledging this issue, resolving it, or if it was just 10 bad rifles.
    Thanks for the time

toonand1
    I didn't get this rifle...yet, but I did further inspect it and saw the chamber was pretty much as crusty as the people that had these problems have described. They offered to lower the price (still waiting to see how much lower) so I'm thinking it might be worth it even if I have to send it right back to Savage.
    Opinions on this? Buy it and polish it? Buy it and send it back? Give it up and move on? Anyone have good luck with these?
    They also just got the 110ba stealth in 300WM and it's amazing to say the least...until I looked in the chamber/barrel and saw it pretty much shared the same look of the 12LRP. Like a caveman decided to start making guns with a chisel and a rock. There are a lot of complaints about extraction and pressure problems with these as well! I want both, but I lack confidence in buying either.
    Does anyone here have some feedback on either of these? Is this just a simple polish issue?

Independence
    Following this thread. I'm very interested in this rifle also, didn't know there were any problems with it...

Quote Originally Posted by toonand1 View Post
    I didn't get this rifle...yet, but I did further inspect it and saw the chamber was pretty much as crusty as the people that had these problems have described. They offered to lower the price (still waiting to see how much lower) so I'm thinking it might be worth it even if I have to send it right back to Savage.
    Opinions on this? Buy it and polish it? Buy it and send it back? Give it up and move on? Anyone have good luck with these?
    They also just got the 110ba stealth in 300WM and it's amazing to say the least...until I looked in the chamber/barrel and saw it pretty much shared the same look of the 12LRP. Like a caveman decided to start making guns with a chisel and a rock. There are a lot of complaints about extraction and pressure problems with these as well! I want both, but I lack confidence in buying either.
    Does anyone here have some feedback on either of these? Is this just a simple polish issue?
    If the price is low enough buy it and rebarrel it with a quality barrel.

Basic Member
    I wouldn't sell my m12 for $5000
    And I've had rifle in that price range!

Wondering this also

toonand1
    The manager for the gun department just got back to me and decided a different approach instead of discounting it...So I'll be picking up the 12 LRP on Tuesday. He talked to Savage and they said it's one of the lowest returned rifles in their productions. So it sounds like it's the people that got the duds are just more vocal than the people who got the goods. I personally emailed savage and never received one back, but the manager of the department guaranteed if it is a dud he can get a fast turn around if it goes back to Savage.

I definitely don't mind slapping a new barrel on it if need be, due to me being in love with every other part of this rifle, especially that crazy sweet crisp trigger. Biggest concern from what I've researched is the chamber being cut short.

I will let you guys know how it works out when I get it and keep you posted as it gets broken in. I'll try some different otc ammo and after I get some dies I'll try some hand loads. Fingers crossed I'll be singing it's praises!

toonand1
    HOMEFRONTSNIPER...
    Thanks man! It really is one of the finest rifles I've ever seen in the price range and well beyond for that matter. Glad to hear positive from someone about this. Did you have any of the chambering or extraction problems? Have you put a decent amount of rounds through it?
    I'm getting it on Tuesday no matter what because they held it for me until the manager got back from his vacation and he guaranteed it will be fast if it did have to go back to Savage.
    Appreciate your input.

In June of this year I bought a Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 CM. Three months, 1000 rounds, no problems, great rifle. Go for it!

toonand1
    Thanks barkbark! I'm getting it on Tuesday and now I'm getting really excited! I'll be posting how it works out, but I'm glad to hear some positive feedback and my fears are subsiding.

I just bought this gun. I love it and it also seems to shoot well but you can see tooling marks in the barrel

toonand1
    Mine is on the way back to Savage. Barrel was molesting the stock, which probably won't matter considering how thick the barrel is, but I can't drop a grand on a messed up rifle. I think I'm cursed, to picky, etc...I just got some rl17 so I'll probably get some loads ready to try out when she gets back. BTW this one was brand new, still in the box wrapped in plastic.

Awesome news scott037! Sucks there is tooling marks, but if it's not affecting the shots, I'm at who cares now.
    Hopefully this week I'll be reporting back.
    Sorry if anyone else is waiting, but there is positive feedback so I'm not discouraged. Thanks for posting guys.

It shoots sporadic at best it will have shots touch move over a inch have those two touch then for giggles put on in the middle. Or do a 2 moa three shot group followed by a .65-.85 three shot group. It makes me wonder if I just suck at Shooting or if it's a scope issue???

toonand1
    scott037, That's not cool. Maybe it needs to be broken in? Have you tried out past 100yd? I have heard it does better out past that (which seems insane and makes no sense to me). Tried different ammo or handloads? If you did that already, and you know you can usually hit a 1 MOA group, send it back. It's not a $5000 gun but it's not cheap either. I have a good relationship with my dealer here (because I am a gun addict) and he was more pissed for me after he got my rifle in and carries more weight when contacting Savage than I do. Maybe you can do the same if you're sure it's not the ammo or yourself? I did the same thing with an AR I built and thought it was something I did wrong when it was just the ammo performance. After all that, there are tooling marks in the barrel, so it might need to be polished. Keep me posted.
    I am so far from an expert it's not even funny, but which ammo used can make a huge difference.
    Guys that own one here, any suggestions on ammo for this particular model?

Basic Member
    I have a 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmor
    It shoots sub MOA groups at 100 with factory Hornardy 140gr. ELD Match.
    I just placed 2nd in a long range match last weekend. We had targets from 500 - 1066yds. I had 1st rd hits on all but the 975 and 1066yd gongs. On those I DOPE'd the wind right and managed 2nd rnd hits.
    This rifle shoots!

TMD11111

Only my second post but I'll chime in here. My wife bought me a 12LRP in 6.5 this past August for my birthday (awesome woman). Anyways my LGS just received it a week before the purchase so it wasn't sitting on the shelf for a year. I finally got to shoot it early last month and started off with some Hornady ELD Match 140's. First 3 shots were under 1/2" @ 100 yards. Second 3 shots under 1/2" again. On the next 3 shot sting the 3rd shot sounded different and was off about 1/2" to the right from the other two. When I went to open the bolt the case stayed in the chamber, the primer was blown, and the extractor was broken. I dropped it off at my LGS for inspection and they sent it out the next morning. Took 4 weeks to get it back. The work order from Savage showed that they reamed the chamber so yes I guess its still an issue. Along with the gun in the box was two bags of Hornady brass from them test firing it. 10 were marked 120 A-max and 5 were marked 140 A-max. Hopefully next week I'll be able to shoot it again and see how it does. I am glad they didn't replace the barrel because I know this one has potential.
    The above pictures show the work repair from Savage and the second pic is of the fired case with the blown primer compared to a loaded round. Notice the difference is shoulder length.

toonand1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Coach View Post
    I have a 12LRP in 6.5 Creedmor
    It shoots sub MOA groups at 100 with factory Hornardy 140gr. ELD Match.
    I just placed 2nd in a long range match last weekend. We had targets from 500 - 1066yds. I had 1st rd hits on all but the 975 and 1066yd gongs. On those I DOPE'd the wind right and managed 2nd rnd hits.
    This rifle shoots!
    That's freaking awesome! I wish mine would come back from Savage. Still waiting. Now I'm sitting on some loads I whipped up and nothing to shoot them with.lol