Thread: 6.5 creedmoor brass

Basic Member

6.5 creedmoor brass

I see hornady is the only company making creedmoor brass, are there any issues making 6.5 creedmoor brass from 308 brass

Chet

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Nosler norma?

Nosler, Norma and rumor is lapua sometime soon.
    Also heard of 22-250 converted to 6.5.

The Hornady brass I have been using has been great....so don't know why someone would want to go to all the trouble of using 308 brass. Keep seeing posts, mostly older, about how Hornady 6.5 CM brass is not good but have yet to find that true at all. My current batch is on it's 6th reload cycle and no problems whatsoever!

Lapua isn't a rumor, according to the head of Lapua USA it will launch in January at the shot show.

But to the original question, no, 308-->Creed isn't difficult typically. In the beginning I converted a lot, because I have more 308 brass than beard, and I'm not short on beard.... Interestingly, military brass was the easiest.
    1) Trim to Creed length.
    2) FL Creed die
    3) double check length, only needed trimmed on one piece.

For Remington/Peters/Nosler brass here was my game.
    1) Trim to Creed length
    2) FL size
    3) check length
    4) inside neck ream.

I just used an appropriate drill bit for this. Sounds redneck, might be, but held moa past 1700.

FWIW,
    Lapua tests brass to 130% of case pressure, Hornady does 125%. Much as I've said for a long time, if you "see" signs, you are well past SAAMI max.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    Convert .243 win brass to 6.5 Creedmoor brass in 2 easy steps

https://youtu.be/Qquvz6n444w

Team Savage
    All those conversions are great unless you are also actively running the same caliber you converted FROM as that you converted TO. I accidentally converted some lapua 260 to 6.5 cm. Simply grabbed the wrong die when resizing. They were only fired maybe twice and now they are bagged up. We shoot both calibers just about every single time so that would be a nightmare waiting to happen.

We shoot both calibers just about every single time so that would be a nightmare waiting to happen.
    Exactly. That is why I use Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. Good brass less work. "If it ain't broke...."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Exactly. That is why I use Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass. Good brass less work. "If it ain't broke...."
    I've been shooting the Creedmoor for about 5 years now. Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass has always sucked,the primer pockets are the first thing that fail with Hornady brass and it doesn't take any where near a maximum powder charge to ruin the primer pockets. They have the same problem with their 6.8 SPC brass.
    I shoot both types of brass,and have thrown away several boxes of ruined brass from enlarged primer pockets. I've been reloading for over 35 years,and Hornady is the only brand that I've ever had that trouble with.

I now buy/use Nosler 6.5 Creedmoor brass,and I'm waiting to get a bunch of the Lapua when it comes out.

Basic Member
    If you need match quality brass right now, I would go with either nosler or norma. Both are excellent brass. I've had mixed success with hornady brass. The 308 match has been decent. I usually work up loads with it. Since I have plenty of Nosler brass, I might just neck it down to 260 though.

On the other hand, the 7mm rem mag brass I had was pathetic. Maybe it's just the belted magnum, but that brass was way too soft.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

I've had mixed success with hornady brass.
    Don't know if Hornady is "bad" brass relative to Winchester. In other words if you resize 308 Winchester brass to 6.5 Creedmoor will it also be "good" or better brass?
    Last edited by wbm; 09-29-2016 at 11:29 AM.

acemisser
    only issue I have had with Hornady is tight primer pockets so I just reamed them all to size..Have shot some pretty hot loads
    and so far only one bad primer pocket..It all I ever use...