Thread: Stock?

lucky hunter

Stock?

I am about to buy a Savage 11 Trophy PREDATOR hunter in 223. But I want to put a boyd thumbhole stock on it. I do not see that as an option on their website. Does anyone know of any other options for this gun? I believe the only difference is the predator model has a heavier barrel compared to the standard model. Thanks!

I believe the TPH is bottom bolt release. Therefore the bottom release heavy barrel unit is what you order. It also has the dbm. You can delete the dbm and install it as a blind mag if you want to by using the easy to find L clip to hold the magazine in the stock.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

lucky hunter
    That's the problem. Boyds website only lists the trophy hunter model and says "factory barrel" which I'm assuming is set up for the sporter barrel. I want to keep the detachable mag.

Team Savage
    just a phone call away, call them!

Basic Member
    Only option is to get the factory barrel model and open up the barrel channel yourself with a wood dowel and sand paper or similar arrangement. It's done all the time.

ALso,you may have to call Savage, tell them what you want to do and ask for the plastic "surround" or "frame" or "bottom metal" for wood stocks with
    Axis Style" detachable mags. THey will know what you're talking about (even if you don't) and ship you the necessary parts for about $15.

lucky hunter
    I have never had to alter a stock before. How would I go about sanding the channel out without ruining the stock? Also, how hard is it to put the new parts in you mentioned in the new stock?

Basic Member
    Openning the barrel channel will take some elbow grease a little sweat and maybe an hour of your time, but as long as you pay attention to what you are doing, it should go alright. It's not something requiring technical or craftsman-like skills. Putting the new parts mentioned into your stock? A two year old caveman could do it. Trust me, it's no big deal.

lucky hunter
    Gotcha. I'm going to call boyds sometime next week to see if they have something that will work that I'm missing. I'm not stuck on this gun either. Seems to fit the bill I want tho. 223 with medium barrel 22"-24" long. Accutrigger. Only thing it doesn't have that I prefer is the stainless bolt but instead it has a blued bolt. Looking for something that I can punch paper with great accuracy but also something that I can hunt with hence the medium barrel (light enough to carry but heavy enough to slow down the barrel walking as it heats up)

Basic Member
    Try an Axis Heavy Barel .223 with a Boyd's THumbhole laminate stock. Pillar and bed it yourself, should be a shooter. Light enough to carry. Probably .5-.75 MOA with good hand loads.

lucky hunter
    Thought about that but the heavy barrel model doesn't have an accutrigger in it. And I also don't know how to bed and pilar a stock lol

Basic Member
    I bet you could find someone in your area that could help you get all that done for not a whole lot of money.

Basic Member
    Dick's has a proprietary Model 11 VT, in a short action on sale right now for $419 after rebate. Heavy Barrel, accutrigger, and a slightly better stock than the Axis. I think the barrel is longer and heavier. Savage has a $30 rebate on any Axis now. Gun broker has the best deals I've seen on Savage Axis right now.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/sh...oryId=12270519

Banned
    Barrel Channel Work:

Get a wooden dowel the size of a broom stick (I actually use a handle for a sheetrock sanding block)

Warp the heaviest grit sand paper you can get around it, tape in place.

Work down, make sure lots of room.

I took a Pencil barrel Boyds and opened to a Bull barrel contour.

As noted, elbow work, heavier grit is the way to start as you take maximum material out. finer to finish up the channel.

Seal it with Formby's or some such.

EASB has a stock that you can get that is open to Heavy Varmint or Bull (a wait and extra).

It is Pilar posted, I had to work on mine to remove material to free float the receiver so there is no free lunch.

I don't know they have the mag setup you want.

Members who have read this thread in the last 1 days: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.