Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor aftermarket barrel selection. Advice please

Banned

Just an add in, I too am fond of the two stage trigger and am sorry there is no after market out there other than for the AR.

I had an RRA two stage chrome my brother considered so good he got one to replace a Timny on his.

Still feeling out the Shilen for loads, I had one node that shot 1/2 groups (two) right after another, one that was a tighter 3/8 x 4 though I had a flyer as well.

Still think Bartlein is number 1 accuracy wise but have to get someone to ream it and do the threads.

One of the guys had a wood setup instead of a vice for the action wrench and you could see it worked. Did not take up much room.

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Just an add in, I too am fond of the two stage trigger and am sorry there is no after market out there other than for the AR.

I had an RRA two stage chrome my brother considered so good he got one to replace a Timny on his.

Still feeling out the Shilen for loads, I had one node that shot 1/2 groups (two) right after another, one that was a tighter 3/8 x 4 though I had a flyer as well.

Still think Bartlein is number 1 accuracy wise but have to get someone to ream it and do the threads.

One of the guys had a wood setup instead of a vice for the action wrench and you could see it worked. Did not take up much room.
    Rem 700 has 2 stage trigger aftermarket options. I think the Weatherby Vanguard line comes with a 2stage. Shame no buddy has developed one for savage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I am considering a few of the more "budget friendly" options as I would like to have a bit more to spend on reloading equipment. And still have skills to develop with the platform. It looks like I can get out the door for around $400 with:

- Shilen (northland shooters supply)

- X-Caliber

- Black Hole

- criterion

-ER Shaw

Can anyone compare these? Have comments on one brand or another?

in my opinion shaw are more for hunting than target shooting...shilen are good,criterion are goos as well..I like the Mcgowin myself...Also try the Daisy Red Rider..lol
    what action you have and shank size..I have a couple here collecting dust..

SidecarFlip
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I am looking to upgrade the barrel on my model 10 to a 6.5 Creedmoor, match grade, stainless steel. Heavy or bull profile for target shooting. Accuracy is priority #1.

I will defiantly have the barrel threaded, possibly with a brake installed and melted if the option is available. Or I would consider having the barrel ported. Probably will get flutes as well.

I will need advice regarding contours. Their are so many options I get overwhelmed, so will require customer service.

What barrels do folks recommend? I have been checking out: (forgive my spelling)
    - Bartline
    - Shillen
    - Kreiger
    - Black Hole Weaponry
    - Criterion
    - McGowen
    - Rock
    - proof (SS not carbon fiber)
    - Lilja

Any suggestions on which of these or maybe a brand I have missed?

Do you recommend:

A) buying a blank and having it finished by another service provider? If so where should I have it finished?

B) buying a finished barrel direct from the manufacturer?

C) buying from a retailer? Which retailer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Your top 3 are my top three. It's Bartlien btw.

SidecarFlip
    Quote Originally Posted by m12lrs View Post
    I live in a.camper and.build AR's and savage rifles regularly. No shop needed. Very simple.and.lots.of.fun.

The only time I live in a camper is when I go hunting but now that you mentioned it. it might not be a bad idea.

Quote Originally Posted by SidecarFlip View Post
    The only time I live in a camper is when I go hunting but now that you mentioned it. it might not be a bad idea.
    I own 2 houses. One in ga and.one at.the beach. Don't get to stay in either. I am a construction superintendent. Always out.of town. My camper is.my home away from home. Don't have the women complaining about reloading in the living room either.

acemisser
    Don't over look the Mcgowin barrels...In my opinion they are good...Take my advice.If your looking for
    a top notch shooter,get the best you can get to avoid being discusted...

PointOfImpact
    I would look into McGowen, you can get it ready to mount up from them and the accuracy is superb.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12