Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 6.5 Creedmoor aftermarket barrel selection. Advice please

6.5 Creedmoor aftermarket barrel selection. Advice please

I am looking to upgrade the barrel on my model 10 to a 6.5 Creedmoor, match grade, stainless steel. Heavy or bull profile for target shooting. Accuracy is priority #1.

I will defiantly have the barrel threaded, possibly with a brake installed and melted if the option is available. Or I would consider having the barrel ported. Probably will get flutes as well.

I will need advice regarding contours. Their are so many options I get overwhelmed, so will require customer service.

What barrels do folks recommend? I have been checking out: (forgive my spelling)
    - Bartline
    - Shillen
    - Kreiger
    - Black Hole Weaponry
    - Criterion
    - McGowen
    - Rock
    - proof (SS not carbon fiber)
    - Lilja

Any suggestions on which of these or maybe a brand I have missed?

Do you recommend:

A) buying a blank and having it finished by another service provider? If so where should I have it finished?

B) buying a finished barrel direct from the manufacturer?

C) buying from a retailer? Which retailer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dave your going to get a lot of opinions here so if I may ask, to get things moving in the right direction; What are your plans for the rifle. Hunting? What kind of hunting, stand? Spot and stalk? Varmint? Or will it be for accurate pinking? Maybe you want to get in some F/class where you will shoot 22 rounds in 20 minutes etc..? PRS?

Next, what are your expectations as far as accuracy? What is your budget? Do you have a stock or trigger to help you reach your goals? I am not suggesting that what you have is not sufficient to shoot accurately, just curious about how serious the level of shooting you are after.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

LongRange
    having shot 4 of the barrels on your list i will tell you this...bartlein has been the most accurate(and more importantly)consistent barrel ive ever shot and is the only barrels i will use.
    as far as contours...i wouldnt go smaller than .875 at the muzzle which would be a heavy target contour...ive been shooting the heavy varmint contour but am going to switch to the heavy palma because its 1lb lighter...here are the bartlein contours....

http://bartleinbarrels.com/contours/

if you dont have a smith and a reamer to chamber and thread your barrel contact these guys they will do prefit bartleins...

http://bugholes.com/index.php?route=common/home

id have the barrel thread for a brake and install one i could time myself...id also skip the fluting because IMHO its a waste of money.

Basic Member
    I don't have much experience when it comes to comparing barrel quality. I've never burned a barrel out. The three barrels I've tried is Douglas, CBI, and Brux. I can also tell you, the most important thing when choosing a barrel is who finishes the chamber on it. Fred at SSS handled my Douglas and Brux builds. All three are great shooters and I imagine that the barrels you've listed on your list would also be great barrels.

The Brux seems to edge out in precision and consistency as compared to the button rifled barrels. Cut rifled barrels will cost more.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    X-Caliber and Bartlein would be my two choices. Bartlein probably being the better of the two, maybe, X-caliber being the best value for the money.

Banned
    I have a X-Caliber and like it, but I don't think its in the same class as Bartlein, which is
    More costly and a much much longer wait.

Bartelin is a cut rifled barrel and that's a hands on process and requires no stress relieving afterwards. They
    do have to deal with the finish but again its a hands on process by craftsmen that know their stuff and its routine for them.

the top competitor use cut rifled barrels and most are Bartlein I believe, question always is can you shoot well enough to take advantage of that?

I gather Bartlein does not do pre fit , too bad, good to have it all done in one place..

Kreiger does do cut rifle and I think pre fit but could be wrong .

Thanks for all the input guys.

To answer your questions, I won't be hunting with this. Primarily shooting groups and steel at long range 1k +. Maybe take it varmint hunting once every few years but that's not the primary purpose. My rifle is in a XLR chassis, currently using the stock accu-trigger. Would love a two stage upgrade but seems that they don't exist. Interns of my accuracy expectations, I would like something capable of 1/4 MOA or less. As good as I am capable of shooting. I have not really thought out competing but PRS looks interesting. Budget wise, would probably not want to spend more than $600

acemisser
    Quote Originally Posted by DenverDave View Post
    I am looking to upgrade the barrel on my model 10 to a 6.5 Creedmoor, match grade, stainless steel. Heavy or bull profile for target shooting. Accuracy is priority #1.

I will defiantly have the barrel threaded, possibly with a brake installed and melted if the option is available. Or I would consider having the barrel ported. Probably will get flutes as well.

I will need advice regarding contours. Their are so many options I get overwhelmed, so will require customer service.

What barrels do folks recommend? I have been checking out: (forgive my spelling)
    - Bartline
    - Shillen
    - Kreiger
    - Black Hole Weaponry
    - Criterion
    - McGowen
    - Rock
    - proof (SS not carbon fiber)
    - Lilja

Any suggestions on which of these or maybe a brand I have missed?

Do you recommend:

A) buying a blank and having it finished by another service provider? If so where should I have it finished?

B) buying a finished barrel direct from the manufacturer?

C) buying from a retailer? Which retailer?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Kreiger is number one...All top shooters use them.....I have had experience with
    Mcgowin and CBI...All pretty good..And then some not so good..Good luck

Black Hole makes very accurate barrels, and at the moment the cool kids don't know them. This means you can actually get them, and they will fool around with requests without charging you up the kazoo.

Beyond that, honestly I think you are putting this deal on a pedestal it shouldn't be on. This isn't an all or nothing deal. There isn't perfect or horrible in here.

As for the accuracy goal, that isn't NEARLY as much about any piece of equipment as anyone wants you to believe; it's 90% Shooter.
    Perfect example:
    https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles...alley-sun.html
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    Black Hole makes very accurate barrels, and at the moment the cool kids don't know them. This means you can actually get them, and they will fool around with requests without charging you up the kazoo.

Beyond that, honestly I think you are putting this deal on a pedestal it shouldn't be on. This isn't an all or nothing deal. There isn't perfect or horrible in here.

As for the accuracy goal, that isn't NEARLY as much about any piece of equipment as anyone wants you to believe; it's 90% Shooter.
    Perfect example:
    https://www.shootersforum.com/rifles...alley-sun.html
    Thanks for your reply. I actually have a 20" BHW on my 6.5 Grendel. That rifle is so far my accuracy benchmark as I can consistently shoot five shot groups between around 1/4 MOA, often putting the first three in the same hole before my nerves kick in. All with factory A-Max 123gr.

Granted I am much more familiar with the AR platform and have grown accustomed to my 2 stage Geissele triggers. The bolt gun and single stage AccuTrigger is still pretty new to me, had the rifle a few months, 140-160 rounds down the pipe. I guess I was expecting a Creedmoor bolt gun to shoot as well or better than my Grendel AR. Still a learning curve but am thinking a barrel upgrade could speed things along. Currently I am consistently getting 1 moa groups with some, what I consider to be lucky smaller groups. Best results with ELD-M and Winchester factory ammo.
    My PSA chrome lined .223 AR upper prints 1 moa groups with PMC Bronze. Thus I am having doubts about the stock barrel on my savage.

Quote Originally Posted by acemisser View Post
    Kreiger is number one...All top shooters use them.....I have had experience with
    Mcgowin and CBI...All pretty good..And then some not so good..Good luck
    Which would you consider to be in the "not so good" category?

Basic Member
    Been shooting Bartlein barrels for years now and really like them. Very accurate and easy to clean. They are the top barrel used in the PRS. Have used Kreiger, LW, Rock and others as well and the Kreiger would be my number 2 choice.

I am considering a few of the more "budget friendly" options as I would like to have a bit more to spend on reloading equipment. And still have skills to develop with the platform. It looks like I can get out the door for around $400 with:

- Shilen (northland shooters supply)

- X-Caliber

- Black Hole

- criterion

-ER Shaw

Can anyone compare these? Have comments on one brand or another?

How do Pac-Nor barrels fare in the accuracy discussions?

Thanks for your reply. I actually have a 20" BHW on my 6.5 Grendel. That rifle is so far my accuracy benchmark as I can consistently shoot five shot groups between around 1/4 MOA, often putting the first three in the same hole before my nerves kick in. All with factory A-Max 123gr.

Granted I am much more familiar with the AR platform and have grown accustomed to my 2 stage Geissele triggers. The bolt gun and single stage AccuTrigger is still pretty new to me, had the rifle a few months, 140-160 rounds down the pipe. I guess I was expecting a Creedmoor bolt gun to shoot as well or better than my Grendel AR. Still a learning curve but am thinking a barrel upgrade could speed things along. Currently I am consistently getting 1 moa groups with some, what I consider to be lucky smaller groups. Best results with ELD-M and Winchester factory ammo.
    My PSA chrome lined .223 AR upper prints 1 moa groups with PMC Bronze. Thus I am having doubts about the stock barrel on my savage.

Yep

Honestly I would expect a mediocre bolt gun to outshoot all but the exceptional AR's. If you have.an AR that shoots consistent 1/4" groups that is exceptional. If you have a savage creedmoor that won't hold consistent 1/2" groups that is bad.

A barrel upgrade could help. Some stock savage barrels are exceptional and some are dogs. Luck of the draw. Any of the top of the.line match hand lapped barrels will shoot better than most of us can.

I know nothing about chassis but with a traditional stock I would be looking at the bedding and make.sure the barrel is free floated. Then you can play with the.torque on the action screws.

You will never find out what a barrel is capable of till you feed it what it wants. Bullet, powder charge and seating depth. That magic combination is out there. Just easier to find with some.barrels

Basic Member

This is a group from my 243Win XCaliber shooting the new 115 DTACs RBTs. I have Jim at Apache Gun Works doing all my barrel work these days!

Don't mind the flyer. It was the 5th shot and I got excited watching the center get shot out lol.

"The strength of the wolf is the pack, but the strength pack is the wolf"

Proudly sponsored by Apache Gun Works

Quote Originally Posted by JASmith View Post
    How do Pac-Nor barrels fare in the accuracy discussions?
    Read some not so hot reviews here: http://www.longrangehunting.com/foru...36/index2.html

EABCO does savage Pre fit ER Shaw kits for $233, and will install for $30 - I live in an apartment=no shop. Local gunsmith quoted me $100 to install a savage barrel!

Basic Member
    All you need is a vice, action wrench, barrel nut wrench, a breaker bar, I prefer a torque wrench. Don't really need much space to be honest.

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post

This is a group from my 243Win XCaliber shooting the new 115 DTACs RBTs. I have Jim at Apache Gun Works doing all my barrel work these days!

Don't mind the flyer. It was the 5th shot and I got excited watching the center get shot out lol.

That looks like some great shooting. I checked out Apaches website. They are no longer taking orders...
    http://apachegunworks.com/index.html

Basic Member
    He goes on a break when they stack up too high. He had a business venture fall through and took on some extra orders from that too... His work is worth the wait, but to get going you could also order directly from XCaliber unless you want specific throat specs to shoot a specific bullet or anything like that.

Basic Member
    ER Shaw isn't going to offer much more than factory barrel can. IMHO. I've seen some shoot as good as a factory barrel and have seen factory barrels shoot better. I've had good luck with criterion. If you have the money then bartlein/kreiger is a better bet. Also just my opinion. I'd definantly spend the money on a quality barrel and the tools to do it myself. If it doesn't shoot at least you can replace
    At no further charge to you. For $100 you can buy/rent gauges and aquire the tools to do the change yourself. And have that knowledge and capability for the future

It is hard to improve on the standard Creedmoor reamer. It's what BugHoles(AKA Southeren Precision Rifles) uses on their custom stuff.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

EABCO does savage Pre fit ER Shaw kits for $233, and will install for $30 - I live in an apartment=no shop. Local gunsmith quoted me $100 to install a savage barrel!

I live in a.camper and.build AR's and savage rifles regularly. No shop needed. Very simple.and.lots.of.fun.

Thanks! I suspected there was a reason for not much talk about Pac-Nor. I am very happy with the 20 Caliber barrel they sent me a few years back.

The fuzzy negatives in the quoted link don't have much in them beyond arm waving. The complaints might be nothing more than snob factor because of their theIr relatively inexpensive prices. It would be nice to see some definitive accuracy information.

For example, some folks are ecstatic with the sub 0.5 moa I get with some loads in my light barrel but get turned off because the wrong load turns on 2.0 moa. The large group was caused by the the load but I have turned in some that were almost certainly caused by the shooter. On the other hand, some demand a barrel that can do 0.2 moa when they and their equipment might get 1 moa on a good day.

Blessed are those who have the skills and equipment to actually use a 0.20 moa barrel at its potential!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast