Thread: 260 AI re-barrel

260 AI re-barrel

I have an older 111, pre-accutrigger, flat back receiver, stagger feed blind mag. I am going to be doing a build on this action and am really considering going with 260 Ackley Improved.

Only one thing that hangs me up on it - will it feed from the blind magazine? I have heard it said that it will, and then those who say it doesn't. I am not sure who is telling the truth.

I am wondering if its just that you have to do some modification to the follower in the magazine?

Thanks for the help.

I used to have similar gun, .260 Rem but minus the AI, and it fed just fine from the magazine in a 110 flat-back. I did not have to alter the blind magazine at all.

Quote Originally Posted by scootergisme View Post
    I used to have similar gun, .260 Rem but minus the AI, and it fed just fine from the magazine in a 110 flat-back. I did not have to alter the blind magazine at all.
    Good to know. I started with wanting a regular 260, then went to thinking I would do 308(to compete in F-T/R), then ended back up at the 260 but am really liking the idea of the Ackley Improved. I have read that it is mainly the sharper shoulder that potentially gives problems.

I have read that they can feed fine from a center feed mag, but I cannot find an absolute on the stagger feed one. Fingers crossed it will be doable.

I built a 260 on a long action a few years ago and the rounds fed fine from the magazine. You bring up a good point, the sharper shoulder of the Ackley may cause feeding issues. What types of shooting do you have planned for the rifle? If the Ackley does cause feed issues, you may want to consider a single shot follower.
    Vietnam Vet, Jun 66 - Dec 67

Basic Member
    I have 260 AI with blind mag. No feeding issues at all.

Basic Member
    What barrel are looking to use?

I am considering doing the same thing with my axis.

Basic Member
    I have an older flat back 110 that started life as a 7 Mag. I just recently put a 243 Win barrel on. It feeds fine. I at one point wanted to challenge the system. I put 5 rounds in the mag. They all feed very easliy. Keep us poated on how your project works out.