Thread: Axis wood stock

Axis wood stock

I was wondering if anyone has looked at them. The ones I have looked at are bare wood on the inside. Where the channel is and where the magazine is are unfinished. As anyone finished theirs. I would think this left unattended would facilitate to stock swelling in anything but dry weather. Ant thoughts on this?

apply true oil - as needed to seal wood stocks
    wood is a bit heavier than the plastic , but feels and looks much better imho
    If your lucky enough to live in the BIG woods your lucky enough

Good Morning. I had to order my new Axis II in 30-06 with the hardwood stock and I just shot it for the first time yesterday. I really like the way it looks and feels, and I ran six rounds through it before I ran out of time (and shoulder). Today is cleaning day and I'll remove the barrel and action from the stock to ensure there is some sort of finish in there. My son has an Axis II in 270 and that's why I bought a Savage. He's brought home three deer with it and has yet to spend a box of ammo. My experience with sighting-in did not go as well as his....my rifle started off barely on the paper at 50 yards and I spent way too much time doubting my technique because of all I had read concerning "out of the box" accuracy. That's my fault, not the gun. I walked it slowly to the left and got to the mark. Session two tomorrow will be a lot more calm. My point is that I am very pleased with the hardwood stock. I know the importance of a proper finish on the wood and I'm glad you brought this in front of me.

Basic Member
    The axis II hardwood edition stock is made by boyds and is stained/sealed on the inside of the mag well and barrel channel. I don't know about there laminated stock or other brands.

Birchwoods casey sells a small bottle of stock sealer you can get at midway or academy.

Glad to hear that there is a finish there. The exterior of the stock is a nice mahogany stain with a matte finish. I'm proud to own it. I've been on a dead run since Thursday and have not gotten into cleaning that new Savage yet. I did clean the Glock and the Marlin last night; today is probably Savage day.

Basic Member
    Slightly off topic, but it will help you in the future:

I walked it slowly to the left and got to the mark.

May I make a suggestion....
    1) fire one round from bench and bags
    2) hold rifle back on target ....don't move it....and adjust scope to where the first round hit.

You're done in two shots :)
    [COLOR=#ff0000]Hello to all you nice folks at NSA :)[/COLOR]

Yesterday was the definition of a perfect fall day......

I spent time with three rifles and the result, with me out of equation, the rifles all did very well.

This retirement thing doesn't appear to have a downside;
    I take responsibility for my actions.....not yours.

Basic Member
    Picked up my Asis hardwood .223 the other day. Savage need to adjust their website cause this puppy does not weigh 7 lbs, closer to 7.5. It is indeed a Boyds made stock, stamped right on the inside. I have already drilled/routed 1/2 lb out of the butt and just did a JB Weld bedding job on the barrel. I plan on painting the hand grip areas with textured paint, and then the whole stock with FDE. Also modified the magazine by grafting part of a Magpul onto the bottom...holds 14 rounds. These bolt action rifles are just so addicting...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Picked up my Asis hardwood .223 the other day. Savage need to adjust their website cause this puppy does not weigh 7 lbs, closer to 7.5. It is indeed a Boyds made stock, stamped right on the inside. I have already drilled/routed 1/2 lb out of the butt and just did a JB Weld bedding job on the barrel. I plan on painting the hand grip areas with textured paint, and then the whole stock with FDE. Also modified the magazine by grafting part of a Magpul onto the bottom...holds 14 rounds. These bolt action rifles are just so addicting...
    would love to see pictures

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    For some reason I can't post attachments, so hope this works: https://goo.gl/photos/zQTqhVCWh7bz3GKT9

I just painted the frankenmag and it was not available when I took this pic. I am also waiting on a new scope...but you can get the idea.