Thread: Savage model 25 .22 Hornet Shell Extraction Problems

Team Savage

Savage model 25 .22 Hornet Shell Extraction Problems

Anybody else out there with a Savage model 25 in .22 Hornet with shell extraction problems. My Savage wouldn't extract half of the empty shell casings when first got it several months ago. It wouldn't even extract loaded cartridges on several occasions. I sent it to Savage and I got it back last week. I took it to the range this morning and I still had problems extracting fired shell casings. About 1 in 4 fired casings would not extract. When I used a cleaning rod to push the cases out, I barely touched the casing and it fell right out. It appears to be an extractor problem. Very poor design. Has anybody disassembled bolt and replaced an extractor? I would sure like to know how to do it. I can't find a parts list for my Model 25.
    John

I have sent my 25 back, for a feeding issues. They said they had to polish the chamber, I have been to the range one time since getting it back, it shot fine. I did have to replace the stock twice on it do to it splitting on the rear screw stock bolt, so far so good. I have not have had any issues with extractions. The fired case looks good, no out of round or oblong at the web.

Sent from my iPhone 6s Plus using Tapatalk

Respectfully
    Mike
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Team Savage
    Thanks for the input Mike. Mine actually shot very well. Less than 1" groups @ 100yds shooting 40gr Speers with LilGun powder. Before I sent it to Savage, I would also get misfires, but when they went off they shot good. We think we found that the problem is the extractor. I would like to replace the spring with a little stronger one but I can't get it apart to do so. Also the firing pin hits the primer so hard that it flares up the outside diameter of the primer and this pushes the base of the shell away from the bolt face a few thousandths of an inch and doesn't allow the extractor to get a fully positive grip on the case rim. We even loaded some primed, empty cases and fired them to see if the problem was too heavy of load or if the firing pin simply protrudes too far. Firing an empty, primed case resulted in the same flare up of the primer. I changed from CCI to Winchester primers and that helped a little. The CCI's must be a little softer. Another trip to the range may prove out the theory and allow for 100% extractions.

Okay, if you go to the Savage web site, go to were you look up your serial number, it will give you a schematic of the model 25. You should be able to find the number or item number anyway, you can call them and they should be able to order them. They may say that you have to send it in or have a gunsmith do it, you can sign a waiver, then you should be able to order the parts.
    Look on the savage shooters on disassembly your bolt.

Respectfully
    Mike
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]U.S. Army Retired Disabled Veteran[/SIZE][/FONT]

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 35Whelenshooter View Post
    Okay, if you go to the Savage web site, go to were you look up your serial number, it will give you a schematic of the model 25. You should be able to find the number or item number anyway, you can call them and they should be able to order them. They may say that you have to send it in or have a gunsmith do it, you can sign a waiver, then you should be able to order the parts.
    Look on the savage shooters on disassembly your bolt.

Respectfully
    Mike
    Might not help your present problem but using small PISTOL primers often help accuracy.