Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 110 trigger

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    eldog

110 trigger

I have a 110 in .243 probably 15-20 years old. Havent shot it a lot. Is it worth getting a new trigger for deer hunting, likely 75-150 yard range?

bigger
    What don't you like about the factory trigger?

eldog
    Just think could hold gun on target a little easier with a little lighter trigger.

That almost has to be a 3-screw, I'd simply adjust it if it were mine.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by darkker View Post
    That almost has to be a 3-screw, I'd simply adjust it if it were mine.
    +1.......

Basic Member
    My 110 in 30-06 was made in the early 80's. It's trigger pull maxed out a 6 lb trigger pull gauge. It shot fine from the bench or when braced, however where a quick or offhand shot was required it hurt accuracy. I finally changed to a Timney trigger - much better.

Banned
    I never did any fancy hunting that required a better than average trigger. I would think it would be fine (I had an early 80s Ruger and that trigger was for sure not a target trigger to put it mildly)

Frankly from the positions I have been in I would be lucky to get a 3 inch group at 100 yds.

Good enough for minute of deer.

Basic Member
    You can replace it with an aftermarket trigger and I am sure you would be happy with it. If you have a 3 screw trigger and you do not want to spend $80.00 to $100.00 on a new trigger, you could just adjust the existing trigger. You can replace the wire trigger spring and adjust the sear engaugement (if needed) and you would have a nice 3lb trigger (perhaps a little less). I replaced the spring on one of mine along with a couple of other tweeks and ended up with a 2.5lb trigger. It saved me some money and I got to learn something in the process. And best of all I didnt kill me or anyone else.

eldog
    Good advice. Thank you.

SavageShooter
    Up until last week, there was an EXCELLENT article on the 110 trigger and how to adjust it in the articles printed in the "HOME" section of this web site. It had photo's and it explained things better than ANYTHING I ever saw anywhere. But POOF!! It's gone now. No reason why, it's just not there anymore. There are reviews of scopes and all kinds of things that are not Savage and have absolutely NOTHING to do with Savage, but that trigger atricle has been deleted. Too bad. It was a big help to a lot of people with the same question the OP asks here.

Check out the Sticky. Savage FAQ,s & Gunsmithing Article Links at the top of the 110 section.

Quote Originally Posted by short round View Post
    Check out the Sticky. Savage FAQ,s & Gunsmithing Article Links at the top of the 110 section.
    I need help like that sometimes.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

SavageShooter
    Yep. You nailed it and that is where it has been moved to. Many THANKS Short Round. I looked through all of those articles at least four times and thought that I had just over looked it before I decided that it had been moved and by golly, it had been. And if you had not told us where to find it, I never would have found it. OKAY Mr. OP. Look there where short round says and check out that really neat article about the Savage triggers and how to adjust them before you go spending money on a replacement trigger. Those Savage triggers are darn good if you get them adjusted correctly.

Montana_Jon
    It's still there on page 8 http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ger-Adjustment

Now for a simple adjustment for the pre accutrigger 10/110 models https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHuejolf6E

Quote Originally Posted by Montana_Jon View Post
    It's still there on page 8 http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...ger-Adjustment

Now for a simple adjustment for the pre accutrigger 10/110 models https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeHuejolf6E
    That video is useless. It's supposed to show you how to "tune" your pre-Accutrigger but all the guy shows you is how to increase your trigger pull weight an he doesn't even know the correct terminology! He leaves out any mention of the sear engagement screw adjustment or the over travel adjustment; let alone adjustments to the safety!

I'm trying to figure out how to adjust mine but the online research I've done has already shown how inadequate and potentially dangerous this video can be.

Here's an authoritative article on adjusting the pre-Acutrigger trigger: http://www.varminthunters.com/tech/s...10trigger.html

I'm still looking for a quality video instruction because I have an easier time learning from watching a video.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Check the FAQ's ;-))

My old 116 has the original 3-screw trigger, and by using a lighter spring wire and some careful adjusting, I was able to get a crisp, consistent, and safe 2 lb. pull.

I'm a fan of the pre-accutriggers. I've tuned a couple down to 1.75 - 2 lbs and they're much nicer to shoot than the Timney's.

File, stone and polish the trigger and sear and change tension spring. I also drilled a hole for a over travel set-screw.

Basic Member
    I have also been successful working with the standard Savage triggers, with the information that is readily available.

SavageShooter
    I have read that some people have installed a lighter spring wire and improved the three screw trigger that does not have a sear adjustment. Does anyone know WHERE that lighter spring wire came from? Who sells spring wire for pre acru- trigger Savage triggers?

Hardware store "orange or blue big box probably wont have it" should have some "piano wire" something around .045 diameter is what I bought many years ago. A dollar or two will get enough to make a boatload of trigger springs.
    I have also heard of guys cutting up a spinner bait to get a piece.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    ^ Yes ^ wire from a spinner bait is .040". Works perfect.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FW Conch View Post
    ^ Yes ^ wire from a spinner bait is .040". Works perfect.
    Buzz bait has a thicker wire. Spinner baits that I have seen are lighter than .040. I got my wire from a bait shop that had pre-shaped wire, but the $1 buzz baits at Walmart can give two useable trigger wires if cut properly.

Basic Member
    If you want, send me a PM with your address and I will send you some piano wire. It's rusted, but will work fine. I've used it for several of these.

SavageShooter
    Many THANKS foxx, but let me check my local Ace hardware to see if they have some first and maybe save you from having to mess with mailing it. And I'll check my tackle box and measure the wire diameter on the spinner baits. But I don't recall those wires being spring steel. Unless my remember is broken like my wife says it is, I don't remember spinner wire being spring steel. If you bend them, they stay bent and that ain't gonna work for a spring. But I'll try it cause I can't get a little creep out of my trigger and I hate to have to buy a new trigger to fix a little creep.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast