Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: factory loads sticking in chamber and sometimes blowing primers factory loads

jamesvtr

factory loads sticking in chamber and sometimes blowing primers factory loads

im having an issue with a new to me 270wsm tried 3 different factory loads and after 2-5 round brass sticks hard to eject and primers blow out. i tried cleaning the gun didnt help. im thinking possible headspacing issue any help appreciated. its a model 11

Basic Member
    With the rifle being new, I would contact Savage
    Sounds like an issue that needs their attention
    A few years back I had a 7-08 doing basically the same thing
    Sent the rifle back and Savage corrected the problem

Jack

Basic Member
    I just read your post again and noticed you said new to me rifle--not new
    Sorry,
    Head space would be the first thing I would check
    Jack

Same here, I think checking the headspace would be the first and probably easiest thing to do.
    Scooter.

Basic Member
    When We touch off a round in a chamber, to a certain extent, We have a chamber cast. I would measure those fired cases and compare them to unfired, and see what they can tell Me.

Also, check the distance to the lands. Your chamber may be short throated, jamming the bullet, causing a pressure spike.

Always check the simple stuff first :-)

jamesvtr
    thanks for the replies ill see if i can locate the tools if not ill call the local gun smith

Banned
    It sounds like someone did not head space it right (Savage barrel or an independent?)

Do the fired case primers stick out of the pocket?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

jamesvtr
    i took it to a local gun smith who said the head space was good he claimed the barrel was fowled and did a heavy clean he said. i assume a chemical clean. took it out shot it and first shot same issue. the fired case primers either blow right out or have black staining around them.

jamesvtr
    sorry it took so long to update waited for the gun from the gun smith and had to travel for a family issue

I would think that short/tight throat is the problem. I had a 7mm-08 that had a similar issue. throat was just a bit short and causing pressure spikes when the chamber was carbon fouled. I also noticed on the neck of my brass I had no carbon residue (burns) after firing a round. If the rifle is new Savage should make things good, and even if its an older rifle they should still take care of things. Probably worth a call. Also take a look at the bolt face around the firing pin. Look for burn marks/cuts. Also possible the the bolt face is dished.

* I would highly recommend that you discontinue shooting this rifle until the problem is identified and resolved. Not only are you very possibly damaging the bolt face, you might also have a catastrophic failure.

playing devils advocate.
    if the case is against the bolt face how can the primer back out?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesvtr View Post
    i took it to a local gun smith who said the head space was good he claimed the barrel was fowled and did a heavy clean he said. i assume a chemical clean. took it out shot it and first shot same issue. the fired case primers either blow right out or have black staining around them.
    I'm just a newbie here, but the OP has said nothing about the origins of this gun, is it a factory original, a re-barrel, a bubba-smith problem child? If it's not a headspace issue, it's definitely a pressure issue, IMOP.

Having seen some really dumb mistakes in my years, and made a few myself, here is what comes to mind: Is it possible that someone took a 260 Rem barrel and re-chambered it to a 270WSM?

Is it possible that such a mistake could have occurred at the factory?

Basic Member
    Another thing to go with Texas10. I don't deal with short mags so is there a 264WSM? If so could it be chambered in that causing the problem? Which would be a 260 rechambered to WSM.

Just went and checked and there is a 264WSM. Might want to recheck the barrel to see if it is a .264/6.5mm bore.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

jamesvtr
    the barrel is oem never been off previous owner claims to never of had an issue and had very low round count. gun smith says he believes him on low round count. primers fall out when brass is removed from gun. ill mention the short/tight throat and that mabe the barrel is marked wrong thanks for the help

Basic Member
    Any update on the problem James?
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

swamphonkey
    Well I just had this same problem with a box of ammo. I shot a few of them and closed the box back. Get some different ammo. I Know there is nothing wrong with my rifle. I don't trust a whole lot of factory ammo. If your going to shoot a WSM you should reload. I only shot the factory stuff because I was given 2 boxes and wanted the brass. But it's loaded so dang hot it's scaring the case and blowing the primers. Try some different ammo and see try something no so "performance" .

It's easy and costs nothing to check the headspace.

Masking tape on the head of the case. 1 layer = 0.002", 2 layers = 0.004"

If the bolt doesn't close on 2 layers of making tape on the head, then your headspace is good. If the bolt doesn't close on 1 layer of tape, then your headspace is excellent and tight.

If it closes on 2 layers of tape but doesn't on close on 3 layers, then your headspace is long but still safe. If the bolt closes on 3 layers of tape, then I would redo the headspace.

Best would be to use a headspace go-gauge with the tape method but factory ammo will give you a good idea if it's good or bad.

Pictures

jamesvtr
    the local gun smith and savage have been talking and i now have to send my rifle to savage for warranty didnt realize there would be warranty. sounds like savage is either replacing the barrel or the whole gun time will tell its going into the mail on monday.

jamesvtr
    Quote Originally Posted by swamphonkey View Post
    Well I just had this same problem with a box of ammo. I shot a few of them and closed the box back. Get some different ammo. I Know there is nothing wrong with my rifle. I don't trust a whole lot of factory ammo. If your going to shoot a WSM you should reload. I only shot the factory stuff because I was given 2 boxes and wanted the brass. But it's loaded so dang hot it's scaring the case and blowing the primers. Try some different ammo and see try something no so "performance" .
    i tried multiple brands of ammo same result

jamesvtr
    Quote Originally Posted by Zero333 View Post
    It's easy and costs nothing to check the headspace.

Masking tape on the head of the case. 1 layer = 0.002", 2 layers = 0.004"

If the bolt doesn't close on 2 layers of making tape on the head, then your headspace is good. If the bolt doesn't close on 1 layer of tape, then your headspace is excellent and tight.

If it closes on 2 layers of tape but doesn't on close on 3 layers, then your headspace is long but still safe. If the bolt closes on 3 layers of tape, then I would redo the headspace.

Best would be to use a headspace go-gauge with the tape method but factory ammo will give you a good idea if it's good or bad.
    head spacing was checked by gunsmith and said to be good

acemisser
    SO,,what was the out come on this rifle...You got to have another story to tell..

Quote Originally Posted by jamesvtr View Post
    the local gun smith and savage have been talking and i now have to send my rifle to savage for warranty didnt realize there would be warranty. sounds like savage is either replacing the barrel or the whole gun time will tell its going into the mail on monday.
    He posted this yesterday, looks like we will have to wait and see what savage finds or decides to do.
    Scooter
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

jamesvtr
    its in the mail on its way to savage arms canada in Ontario

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast