Thread: New Model 93F and a few questions

mgbbob

New Model 93F and a few questions

Hi folks, I have wanted to try a Savage for a long time. I have several Marlin rimfires but have read good things about Savage. I found a deal at Walmart and took the plunge. A 93F 22 mag on close out for $99. I think there may be a $25 Rebate available. After I got the gun home I noticed that it didn't have an Acutrigger. I don't know if that is a Walmart spec to cut the price. I haven't tried out the trigger for fear of dry fire issues so anyone out there have a comment on the non acutrigger? I also noticed that the barrel was stamped imported if I am reading it right. I thought Savage was made in the USA. Any idea if the rifle is imported? If the base trigger is not good is upgrading to a acutrigger an option? No complaints.....we all lived without acutriggers for a long time. Thanks, Bob

Basic Member

Hi Bob. The Walmart ones tended to be the regular trigger. The newer 93 models are the E receiver.

I have newer 22LR accu trigger and 17HM2 from Walmart standard trigger. I measured them and all was the same except the trigger. The accu trigger swapped to the Walmart model and functions the same. I left it on the 17HM2 model. - Shane
    Last edited by shagerott; 08-28-2016 at 10:16 AM.

mgbbob
    Thanks, I will try out the standard trigger and see what happens.

Basic Member
    There are some posts here or rimfire central that mention some adjustments. I like the regular trigger for plinking. I just thought I might shoot some small varmints some day and the 17 might work better for that using the accu trigger. Both are stock with no tweaks to springs.

mgbbob
    I slapped in a wall anchor and tried it out a couple of times. A bit stiff but it breaks clean. I will get it out on the range and see what I think.

Tpsfoto
    When buying at Walmart....it is a guessing game as to the trigger.....they keep a trigger lock and won't remove it till they take it out of the store for you.

mgbbob
    Hi folks, I called Savage this morning and they confirmed that Walmart does order rifles without the Acutrigger. They also confirmed that this rifle is built in Canada. Seems a bit strange since Canada has crazy gun laws. I really think that it is bad practice to produce a separate cheaper rifle for Walmart and not tell anyone until after the purchase but that is just my opinion. I won't complain because I did confirm my rifle is rebate eligible so a $99 close out gun with a $25 rebate is still a great deal. I think I paid $179 for my Marlin XT 22 mag and I thought that was a good deal.

Basic Member

Yes, they have been in Canada for a while. The original ones were Lakefield before Savage bought the line. Can't remember now, Lakefield models were also in Canada? I guess they have the import issues worked out.

I actually ordered my 17HM2 through Walmart because I couldn't find one anywhere. It took 60 days or so and I guessed it was a std trigger due to the other 22/17 models I saw. When it arrived it was a std trigger.

I had a problem child 17hmr I was selling so I had that accu trigger on a 22LR. That is the same trigger that is now on the 17HM2. So, closer to the first response on the earlier post, that accu trigger fit all three 'E' receivers. Maybe I lucked out.

Keep shooting it and see if the trigger breaks in. It may work out that it works for you.

mgbbob
    Thanks for the information. I worked it a few times today and I it feels a bit gritty. I think I will pull it apart and see what it looks like inside. Laid up with a bum knee so I have some extra time.