Thread: model 11 bolt different than 10 or 12?

model 11 bolt different than 10 or 12?

i thought they were all the same but i got my m11 action back from cdi today and started taking the bolt apart to change handles and bolt heads and noticed it is completely different than all my other savages....

when i looked it up on savage parts finder a few of the things that i noticed pn's being different for were (schematics show same picture but link to different parts)

bolt assy screw BOLT ASSY SCREW, LWH, MATTE - P/N: 108717

firing pin
    FIRING PIN, SHORT, STD - P/N: 108691

this one has a hollow bolt assy screw that you cant get a allen key into untill the pin is dropped because the pin comes almost to the surface of the screw head. the pin and springs are all different than im used to also. the springs are between the bolt scrfew and the pin rather than wrapped around the pin.

does this require a different bolt head also? i was planning to put a .308 bolt head on it to use for .22-250 but the bolt head i have is from a bolt with the other style of pin.

is this a newer or older style setup than the others? better or worse? compatible with the same bolt heads?

wanted to add that no this is not the bolt from the rifle i've been asking about in my other threads. i sold all my remingtons a few months ago and bought 4 savages within a month so im still learning the ins and outs of each of them.

Basic Member
    I do not believe that the model 11 is different from a 10 or 12. What you are seeing is a newer bolt design that is shared by all 10, 11, 12 and 16 models. If I'm wrong I'm sure some on will be along shortly to straighten I all out.

Basic Member
    Yes and no. What olddafv said is also sort of true, many times.

These are newer designs, but not necessarily better or worse. If you intend to leave them "as is" or maybe just change bolt heads, they are as good, maybe better than old style. Yes, they take the same bolt heads and baffles as the others. Not all models have been changed to these, and they are not necessarily distinctive by model number. For example, Model 12FV uses old style, as does Hog Hunter, which is a Model 11. Model 10T uses newer style... You just said your new model 11 has the new style. Don't waste your time trying to figure out all of Savage model numbers and reasoning for every change. There is a possibility that all future bottom bolt release actions will have these newer bolts, while top bolt release models retain the older style, but I don't know. Besides, they are notorious for mixing and matching parts to build a new version of an old model with whatever concoction of parts they might have laying around or have in excess.

One advantage, if you like it, is you have a "cocking indicator" on the new ones. When cocked, the back of the firing pin is seen protruding thru the bolt assembly screw, as noted. Is that good or bad? Depends. If you wanted to install a simple homemade "lift kit", it's bad, Won't work. If you never intended to do so, it doesn't matter.

Perhaps it is an easier or cheaper manufacturing or assembly process, I don't know. It is one of many changes Savage has made the last several years I don't particularly like, but I still buy them.
    Last edited by foxx; 08-26-2016 at 10:23 PM.

Basic Member
    Nothing like an iffy post to generate interest.
    Thanks for clarifyingM

Team Savage
    Bolt heads are the same

Basic Member
    The only thing different is the firing pin assembly. To cut costs, Savage went with a 1 piece firing pin and a different spring arrangement. These first appeared on the Edge/Axis rifles, then eventually on the model 10's and 11's, beginning with the Trophy Hunter series.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Is it just the pin, springs, nut that's different? As in could I simply order those few parts to switch it to be the same as all my others? Purely for the sake of less unique parts to try to keep spares of.

Basic Member
    Bolt assembly screw is also different.

Seems kinda goofy to me. Changing "what is" on one so they all match in case you gotta replace parts again in the future. That's kinda taking the whole concept of being prepared to a whole new level!

You aren't by chance a "prepper", are you?

Oh, geez. I'm a prepper, and now I gotta rethink my entire strategy here! :)

Pepper, hoarder, weirdo, I guess it depends on who you ask....

Wanting spares for the savages are nothing, I've got enough spare parts for my 1911's that I could build 2 more. Being able to build/fix/modify is what got me to get rid of my Remingtons and go savage. Spares are nice because of not having down time. I hate working a 70hr week only to be miserable on my day off because I'm waiting for parts for something.

Is a tool available for the newest bolt assembly crew?

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Bolt assembly screw is also different.

Seems kinda goofy to me. Changing "what is" on one so they all match in case you gotta replace parts again in the future. That's kinda taking the whole concept of being prepared to a whole new level!

You aren't by chance a "prepper", are you?

Oh, geez. I'm a prepper, and now I gotta rethink my entire strategy here! :)

Apologies for a question a long time after the original post. Hopefully one will pick this up.

I notice that the bolt assembly screw shown in the current (8/2019) online Savage catalog for the 110 classic rifle has a new design for the bolt assembly screw. It is not a slot or hex. Does anyone now where one can get a tool to fit this new design?

I would like to replace the original bolt with the Tacticool version from Sharp Shooter supply.

Thanks.

-dangermouse

It is still the same hex key for the BAS. You can only insert the key when the bolt is in the fired position. The bolt bodies are the same. Everything else is different.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    There is a bolt lift kit available for the cock indicator type firing pin assy. A member by the handle Grimstod on the Accurateshooter site makes them for several models of the Savage line. You can buy the kit, or send in your bolt and he'll install it AND tune up your bolt. He has an ad under the Marketplace tab, you may have to be a paying member to PM the seller, though I'm not certain about that.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.