Thread: Tune-up for my hand-me-down Stevens model 87D?

Basic Member

Tune-up for my hand-me-down Stevens model 87D?

I have owned this Stevens model 87D .22 for 25 years and my Dad owned it many, many years before that. I bet he fired the heck out of it and I know I put brick after brick of cheap .22LR in my teenage and early 20&#39;s years. I haven&#39;t fired it 12+ years but recall it was always a tackdriver. Back then I was probably only plinking < 40 yards and not too concerned with groups, just hitting bottles and whatever. It still has this ridiculously skinny Weaver 4x scope on that it always had.

I&#39;m gonna put a new Simmons 4x32 &#39;22 MAG&#39; scope on it and see what it will do soon. Sadly the trigger is a total piece of crap, sloppy loose. Is there anything that can be done to improve the trigger on this model? I think I want to get another 25 years out of the gun! ;D

Re: Tune-up for my hand-me-down Stevens model 87D?

You could remove the stock and examine where the slop is in the trigger area, if your talking about the trigger moving side to side you should be able to tell if you could pinch together area that is allowing slop with a pair of pliers using cloth to protect the finish. I&#39;m not familiar with that model, nor am I a gunsmith but I hope this will help.
    There really is an excuse for everything!

Basic Member

Re: Tune-up for my hand-me-down Stevens model 87D?

I imagine it was not a high end gun when made so basically has a low end trigger that has been shot many thousands of times. It has several pins in the trigger action that seems, in part, to add to the slop. They seem to fit, don&#39;t seem to be improperly loose, just maybe not tight tolerances when it was made?