Thread: Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42

Burris MTAC 4.5-14x42

Anyone have any experience with this scope? Burris Mtac 4.5-14x42 Cabela's is having a sale soon and this one is going to be on sale for $299, price seems good, but how about the scope?

Intended use will be range only on steel and paper, distances will be known. No competition shooting or hunting. Ranges will be between 200 and 600 yards. Rifle is going to be a .308 Model 10

I have an Mtac 4.5-14x42 and it's a very good scope for tactical/hunting use. I have had mine for some time and paid a good bit more than that for it :) It's really bright at dawn and dusk with plenty of magnification. I have used it on my 24" LR308 for a while and it currently sits in Badger Ordinance rings and bases on my Remington 700VSSF in .308

I would say it's a better candidate for fast target acquisition type use, and for when you don't want to lose the crosshairs in low light such as in hunting situations, than for use on paper targets or precision bullet hole in bullet hole type applications, because the reticle is pretty beefy and thick and will completely cover bullet holes and other "aim small" precision aiming points at 100, It's fine for rapidly banging steel.
    In order to use it for precision type work I was covering the bullseye with most of the reticle and using the point formed by the top left intersection cross hairs as my aiming/zero point. I could put that point on the center of the bull (which I could only see a 25% pie slice of because the rest was covered by the reticle) and drop my shot dead center. or I could use that point on the previous bullet hole if shooting for groups.
    It aint a target scope, but has excellent light gathering and resolution as i could see bullet holes well ansd see before and after legal hunting hours.
    It also tracks very well.
    I did break it in after purchase, by operating all the adjustments throughout their full range repeatedly before ever installing it on a rifle.
    If you want something for target use you may want something with a different reticle such as a dedicated "target" scope with a fine crosshair just for ease of use.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

the reticle is pretty beefy and thick and will completely cover bullet holes and other "aim small" precision aiming points at 100
    I agree completely with BHG. I have 2. On both of mine the objective parallax adjustment is tight.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Thank you for the responses. I will definitely the reticle size in to account. I am going to see if I can look through one before deciding.

I have been looking at the SWFA SS 10x or 12x but then saw this one and when it goes on sale will be roughly the same price.

Does it have Mil-Rad turrets and MOA reticle?
    Mike

No, it has a Ballistic Milling Reticle and Mil-rad turrets so essentially a mil/mil system.