Thread: Warranty Test

Warranty Test

Looks like I get to test out the turn around time on Minox's warranty service. Bought a couple ZA 5 HD 2-10x40mm scopes that Cameraland had on clearance back in February and the elevation turret on one of them is useless. I can turn it 2-3 complete revolutions in either direction before the crosshair will start moving.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Should have got a Vortex

Don't feel bad my new Weaver XR 46 is back for warranty work. I got it in late June or early July sited it in and all was well, half way through first BR match elevation went south. Each click produced something other than what was expected. Any where from no movement to over an inch or more, from a 1/8th" @100 adjustment.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Vortex ain't immune either....had an expensive Viper that was seriously screwed up and went back.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wbm View Post
    Vortex ain't immune either....had an expensive Viper that was seriously screwed up and went back.
    It was a joke because of all the "craptex" comments around here. They all have flaws, but the non specialized mass produced variants always have more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think Lone Wolf was being facetious
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

It was a joke because of all the "craptex" comments around here. They all have flaws, but the non specialized mass produced variants always have more!
    Kinda figured that out on my own....got to rattle a few cages once in a while. Watching outdoor channel ads you would think Vortex is immune to Armageddon.

So does that mean I was not? Good word though. Had to look it up.
    Last edited by wbm; 08-11-2016 at 08:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    You stepped in a pile of Lone Wolf's what?

Oh wait, nevermind .... I read that wrong.
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

As for the Minox scopes, they normally sell for around $550 and Doug had them marked down to $250/ea so I snagged their last two. Figured one would make a nice scope for my Axis in .284 Winchester and the other would be my dedicated scope for review rifles. Glass on them is nice and clear (German made Wetzlar lenses), the 5x zoom is nice for a wider range, and they're pretty light so I was more than happy with the first one I put on the 284 and it's held up great so far (knock on wood).

A couple weeks ago I decided to mount the other one on my Axis .223 and when I went to sight it in I found that the elevation was FUBAR. It was weird because I could turn the dial 2-3 full rotations in either direction and it would move smoothly, but the crosshair wouldn't move. I get to where I start to feel some resistance like I'm getting to the end of the adjustment, and it would start moving. So essentially it had about 30 minutes of slop in the turret.

So essentially it had about 30 minutes of slop in the turret.
    Ouch! Went a few rounds with Leupold last year over that kind of issue....well sort of the opposite of yours....move windage 1" and it liked 2-4" better!

Basic Member
    If you need a scope in the mean time, I know where there is a "field tested" Barska you could have for the taking.......
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Lol...did you find it in the field and then test it?

I don't think I'm qualified to use a super high end Barska that's been customized (or is that perforated?) for benchrest competition.

Heard back from Minox today. They said they've looked at my scope and that there's nothing wrong with it and the turret adjustments are within allowable specifications. They offered to upgrade me to the newer model that has a 30mm tube and better turrets, but I'd have to pay the difference in price. I passed and told them to send it back and we'll see what happens.

Just in case, when's the next centerfire benchrest match Fred? I might have another scope for Hal to give flying lessons to.

I bought 3 of those, haven't mounted any to a rifle yet.
    How much of a price difference were they seeking for the exchange to the 30mm tube?
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

They said they've looked at my scope and that there's nothing wrong with it and the turret adjustments are within allowable specifications.
    That is almost verbatim what Leupold told me about the scope I sent back. Frustrating when you KNOW a scope is not right and you get that response.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    I bought 3 of those, haven't mounted any to a rifle yet.
    How much of a price difference were they seeking for the exchange to the 30mm tube?
    I didn't ask as I'm using a DNZ Hunt Master mounts and didn't want to have to spend another $50-60 for a new 30mm set on top of the cost of the scope upgrade.

That is almost verbatim what Leupold told me about the scope I sent back. Frustrating when you KNOW a scope is not right and you get that response.
    Yeah, kind of ticked me off but by the same token if it acts fine for them at the time they can't fix it. I like to think USPS banged it around enough on the trip there that it magically fixed itself. lol

Update:

Got my scope back yesterday, so if nothing else I can say Minox is on the ball in terms of turn-around time. Prompt communication and shipping is a rarity these days no mater what industry you're talking about, and Minox definitely impressed me in that regard.

First thing I did was grabbed a mirror to check the tracking and reset the scope to it's mechanical zero and verify reticle movement as the turrets are manipulated. The scope appears to be tracking as it should now so who knows what the issue was before.

Have it mounted back up on the Axis so sometime in the next few days I'll hit the range for sight-in and see how it does.

At least the service is good.
    I sent the Weaver in a week and a half before you and I haven't heard Jack**** from them, but they cashed the check, and to my surprise it was endorsed by Bushnell Warranty service. So is Weaver now actually Bushnell or is Bushnell just servicing a lot of different brand optics as a side business. Either way lousey communication with customers.
    FROGGY

Weaver was owned by ATK, which split all their outdoor companies off into Vista Outdoor, which bought Bushnell. Millet, Simmons and Tasco are also owned by Bushnell.

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    Weaver was owned by ATK, which split all their outdoor companies off into Vista Outdoor, which bought Bushnell. Millet, Simmons and Tasco are also owned by Bushnell.
    Was not aware of Simmons and Tasco - they are not reflected in the 2016 Bushnell military & LE program.

Bushnell, Millett, Primos, Bolle, & Serengeti eyewear are available under the program.
    Rick_W
    CPO-USN(Ret)
    You don't know what you don't know.

I got my scope back yesterday, all the paper work says is, cleaned, greased, adjusted back to zero. They never mentioned why it would not track with the elevation turret and that is why it went back.
    Oh yeah also got a bill for $20 extra, why I don't know yet. I sent the $15 they request for s & h so the extra isn't happening, this was a scope that was used 3 times so I would assume it was new and under LIFE TIME WARRANTY. Typical Bushnell BS.
    FROGGY

Basic Member
    You ain't lying..had to return my Viper HS 2.
    5-10x this weekend. Had taken it out to the range so I could zero my .243 Axis. Turned the magnification ring to 10x and the reticle decided it wanted to turn as well!! So I had a big ole "x" when I looked down the tube. Cabela's was great and exchanged it without issue.