After much searching of the inter-webs for information, I have decided to create a post of my own to help make a new barrel decision. I found a lot of information that was “close” but few that seemed to relate to my application (budget long-range on a Savage action).

I have a Savage 110 FCP HS Precision in 308 WIN with a Vortex PST 6-24x50. I handload and have worked up loads that the gun seems to like and produce SD’s generally in the single digits. I’m looking to upgrade my barrel in hopes of getting a little more consistency out of my groupings which are currently running right around 1 MOA or slightly over with occasional "fliers" (I shoot only 5-shot groups and record every shot no matter what. I'm not going to deny that some of the inconsistency may be me but I do think I am a reasonably good shot. I shoot mostly at 100 yards and enjoy shooting tight groups, but the primary purpose for this gun is to shoot at 1,000 yards which I do when I can get to a range that lets me get out that far with a reasonable amount of success (I know a 308 WIN is not the best 1,000 yard gun).

Eventually I will be buying a custom rig in 6mm or 6.5mm from a top name like GA Precision, etc. so am just looking for a drop in 308 WIN barrel at this time to buy more time to save up.

First question is if people think that a new barrel will serve me well?

If so, I was hoping to get some input from the folks here. Few considerations:

• Brand: I have been looking at Criterion, Shilen, X-Calibur, Benchmark, Krieger, and Bartlein. I don’t mind spending money on a good setup but am not sure I will see the benefit of the Krieger or Bartlein off of a factory action (not 100% sure I can even get a drop in from either of these manufacturers). No doubt all make great barrels but I’m gun-shy of Criterion from some reviews I have read and haven’t found much on X-Calibur or Shilen for the long range game.
  • Length: I current have a 24” barrel and I can push 175 SMKs up to just under 2,750 fps which just gets me to 1,000 yards super-sonic where I shoot. I also use a suppressor which adds another 9” to the overall length. I like the 24” size but am unsure if I am likely to be able to get the same velocities out of a match barrel. If I’m at risk of falling to trans-sonic at the 24” length then I would likely move up to 26”.
  • Twist: I currently have a 1:10. After reading Applied Ballistics Modern Advancements in Long-Range shooting I considered moving to something a little slower since I use “average” quality bullets (175gr SMK / 178gr A-Max) to keep my groupings tight; however, I don’t think it will properly stabilize a 185gr Berger Hybrid Match to the required 1.5 factor if I ever decided to use premium bullets. A 1:11 would just get me to 1.5 provided I could push them at least 2,700 fps (might need a 26" barrel?)
  • Contour: The gun is shot almost exclusively off a bench or bipod so weight isn’t a big issue (gun 9lbs, suppressor 24oz, scope 24 oz). Was thinking about stepping up to a slightly heavier contour to add rigidity. Currently the muzzle diameter is 0.840” at 24”. It does not appear that Shilen or Criterion offer anything between my contour and a bull barrel in a drop-in so going heavier might not be an option if I went with those manufacturers.
  • Material: If there is no difference in performance then I would choose to stay with blued chrome-molly. Many things I read say the level of precision is consistent but break-in and cleaning may be a bit more difficult for a chrome molly versus a stainless steel barrel

Would love to hear any input or criticisms on anything I have written above (specifically on brand). I am not married to any particular idea so all input is welcomed.