Thread: Custom barrel, problem?

kjflan22

Custom barrel, problem?

So I had a new barrel spun up and chambered in 22-250. The rifle shoots decent though I haven't really done a load workup as its only got about 80 rounds through it. Factory and generic reloads are around 5/8" and velocity ES is <25 fps. My "problem" if it is one, is that when cleaning with a jag and patch I feel a slight bump near the muzzle end of the barrel. This doesn't feel or look like a bulge from the inside or outside of the barrel but it is a noticeable loose or smooth spot within the barrel about 1/4" in length. I double check all my reloads to make sure they are charged, and my last step when cleaning is a dry patch and look down the bore to make sure its all clear.

Has anyone experienced such a "flaw" in a new barrel from a custom manufacturer? I'm stumped...FYI, the barrel is button rifled and hand lapped from the maker.

Thanks,

kflan

Team Savage
    Is the muzzle threaded?

Banned
    I have not, two new barrels and lots of old used ones.

kjflan22
    Thanks,

No, the barrel is not threaded. Its a #4 contour 24" length. If this was even the slightest bulge, being its back from the muzzle, wouldn't my velocities be all over the place?

Might just try forget about it and see how it groups with some tuned loads. It is a real pain in the butt though.

Basic Member
    Call up the barrel maker and see what they say about it ?

Was this an air gauged premium barrel

kjflan22
    Yes, it is air gauged. The manufacturer has been great and wants me to send it back so they can check it out. My original question was if anyone has experienced this before. I was thinking for a second that I may be crazy, but I definitely feel something when running a cleaning rod down the bore. Like I said, it is a very slight spot, like nothing I have experienced. Thank you all for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by kjflan22 View Post
    Yes, it is air gauged. The manufacturer has been great and wants me to send it back so they can check it out. My original question was if anyone has experienced this before. I was thinking for a second that I may be crazy, but I definitely feel something when running a cleaning rod down the bore. Like I said, it is a very slight spot, like nothing I have experienced. Thank you all for your input.
    send it back. If you don't it will drive you crazy for the entire time you use that barrel. a new barrel is supposed to make you feel good.