Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Review my technique

Team Savage

Review my technique

Got away for a bit to shoot.
    Here are a couple strings from 2 views for critique. I already see a couple things I don't like. Although I was hitting stupid easy at 450. Target was simple 12" steel mostly obscured by tall grass between.

Team Savage

Team Savage
    Ill start off my own critique by saying I wasnt aware that my trigger finger was jumping off the trigger so badly after the shot. I dont know if it had anything to do with it, but I was previously shooting an ar10 in a semi rapid fire so my finger had to re set pretty fast. Either way, very bad.... no follow through.

Also from the side, I didnt know just how many times I broke my cheek weld. I kept hitting the brim of my cap with the bolt hand.

And a question. I did some weak side shooting and had to come off the rifle every time to run the bolt because I was in the way. Is that normal?

LongRange
    first thing i see is you pulling your shoulder up and rolling it forward into the rifle...next would be your grip with your trigger hand but if your comfortable..next its real hard to tell but it looks like your jerking and or slapping the trigger because in the second vid it looks like the barrel moves before the shot is fired(like i said its hard to see)...also your adjusting the rifle to get back on target which could be caused by a few things jerking the trigger,the shoulder thing,flinching ect...also if you shoot off that bench a lot your going to have a tough time shooting a tactical match...id suggest you start shooting off the ground and more importantly start shooting from supported standing and kneeling positions.

im no expert but i struggled with a lot of the same issues and when under stress still catch myself jerking the trigger.

Basic Member
    Appears to me as though the guy has had some practice. lol
    The bipod bounce really magnifys itself in the video.
    Ive often wondered it a pc of say 3/4" wood just clamped on the bench top
    for the legs to be shoved/loaded against would help?
    The heavier the recoil, and lighter the gun, the worse it becomes.
    Which is the primary reason we mainly use a controled sliding front rest for hunting.

Team Savage
    Tell me about the shoulder thing. I hear you talk about it and Im not sure what exactly that is. Am I rolling forward too much?

What It looked like through the scope.... After the shot broke the rifle would move left just off target and I would have to quickly pull back right to get on to watch impact. Ill admit it is a rare occasion that through the entire process I dont have to correct to get back on target.

With my trigger hand I have been experimenting with wrap or no wrap of the thumb. Not sure where I will land on that yet. It almost doesnt seem to matter much.

I was quite surprised about my trigger finger however. One thing I wanted to do was just record it and however it looked, put it up for review. I didnt want to review it then make corrections before publishing. I didnt know it was so ugly.

Before leaving yesterday, I did weak side shooting. Also the milk crates Im sitting on, they went on top of the table and cushion on top of that and shot standing using sling. Holy crap. I was afraid I was going to kill someone in the next county. I hit 2 out of 3 on a couple strings. That said I also hit the chain, ricochet and hit my paint can..... ugly. The one shot I made against a tree with sling, well, I think that bullet is still going. The grass is so tall right now we are limited on positions. They are supposed to cut it any time now.

With a 12" steel, what range should we practice positions and be realistic for average distance.

Team Savage
    https://youtu.be/e40tuyKKoXA

This video shows what you can see standing and sitting.

LongRange
    watch the video...you get behind the rifle and your shoulder goes up and rolls forward...there should be none of that.

as far as coming off target and you saying it happens all the time im going to say its you either muscling the rifle left,raising and rolling your shoulder,closing your eyes right before pulling the trigger, flinching or a combo of....getting rid of the bad habits is tough and takes a lot of practice and a lot of concentration when shooting...like with your trigger pull...you didnt even realizing your doing it until you see it on video.

to be competitive you should be hitting that 12" steel at 600 pretty consistently from all positions...most matches the targets are 1 to 2moa on average...maybe LW and Rob1 can give more insight on target size...but id start practicing at 100yds kneeling and standing with that 12" target...a 6' step ladder works pretty good as a barricade.

LongRange
    here is a great indoor training aid that you can use to practice holding and dry fire...

http://www.65guys.com/dry-fire-pract...ning-aid-iota/

Team Savage
    with the indoor trainer, your scope has to be able to focus at the distance you hang the picture? I have a pretty big game room that I use to set up scopes in and I cant focus on the far wall. I have the 6 to 24 pst. Ill have to move outside. Ill take a step ladder next time. It took a while to get the bugs out with the load. I feel good about them now its practice time.

Ill look at the video and watch my shoulder.

I will say this about dry fire practice. My back yard is surrounded by woods so lately we have been trying to get focused in on a leaf and break the shot on the leaf. Need a lot more of this. Its humbling experience.
    Last edited by doctnj; 08-22-2016 at 10:39 AM.

LongRange
    the IOTA is used at 11 feet or so and you can use different sized dots as targets...a wall plug looks like a freeway tunnel at 11ft with the IOTA on your scope..pretty cool training aid...you will be able to see your reticle moving when you dry fire....also dry firing off the step ladder looking out a window or off the back porch and holding on phone poles tree branches ECT is good practice.

also remember a 1/4 minute load is comp ready for a tactical match no since chasing a one hole load...you cant hold steady enough to shoot a 1 hole group off a barricade anyway.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    with the indoor trainer, your scope has to be able to focus at the distance you hang the picture?
    you turn the power and the parallax to the highest settings with the IOTA.

Team Savage
    Great, Ill order one today.

In the side view I could really see the shoulder thing. In the gym I have a real hard time keeping my shoulders out of the lift as well. That is why I use a trainer.

If I tried to train my self I would be wasting time. Thats why good bad or indifferent I have no problems with getting feed back. I want to improve.

So I should really be bringing a neutral shoulder and but stock together? I "feel" like I am trying too hard to form a cup to put the but stock in.

LongRange
    Add 1" to your LOP so the rifle comes to you not you to the rifle.

Looking again at the vids it looks like your laying on the rifle too?

Meaning a hard cheek weld?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Team Savage
    Ok Ive come up empty on where to get the iota. I tried looking up 264shooter on the hide and it says that is incorrect.

LongRange
    PM me a contact number and ill pass it along to Chuck...i shoot with him and know him personally.

LongRange
    double post...

Team Savage
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x5xQsabeFqk

Here is a view of the Mirage. I was jumping around quite a bit in the video so you may not be able to tell me much. I was seeing what I would consider a "boiling" mirage.

There is a flag on the frame of the target that looked like it was blowing straight out most of the time and left and right a bit. I had L .2 dialed in but the wind in the field I was in was left to right at about 10 oclock 5 mph.

The target is about 100 yrds back into another extremely protected field that typically has prevailing left to right wind. I almost was thinking I was seeing the mirage going up and to the right at 45 degree no?

LongRange
    Bouncing around way to much but yeah it kinda looks right to left.

When the mirage and light are high you need to turn your scope down

Team Savage
    That was me holding my phone on the spotting scope. I was trying to record the Mirage and get a second d opinion.

Team Savage
    So I was just doing a little dry fire off a step ladder. There is no ninja way to decrease the wobble factor? Seemed the more I tried to control it the worse it got.

Do you use a front bag? if so which one? barricade stop? Sling? skid wrap? etc. etc.

I have determined that my tab gear "brick" bag is no good in front. It could be used as tall bag in back but I like my little light flat bag.

Here is something that will show you what you are doing at the trigger pull. It won't correct it but it sure will identify it.

You need a buddy. Turn your back and let him load the gun. Fire. Now have him put a round in the chamber or not. You fire like it is loaded either way. Do this for about ten rounds with a few empty chambers thrown in.

Personally unless I have a really light gun or heavy recoiler I like to shoot free recoil. Keep the shoulder thing out of it.

LongRange
    No secrets just practice and IMO it will make you a better shooter if you can shoot off a wobble barricade...I've been practicing off a ladder and have gotten better...my first short range tactical match I shot a 19 outta 40...this last Saturday I shot a 23 in the same match so I'm showing improvement with my positional shooting.

I have bags and two different slings...slings help me the most but they are a PITA to get set up and tight in and use up a lotta time so then I find myself rushing so I've stopped practicing with all of my gear.

One thing I do use almost always is my creed moor sport shooting glove...it eliminates the need for a rear bag for me.

I can tell you this....if you haven't shot a match on a clock don't expect to do well your first match or two because that clock is going to kick your a$$ lol.

Basic Member
    On the Long Range Hunting site there is a topic being discussed entitled (straight back, behind the rifle).
    Whats the opinion of it as to how it applies to tactical type prone shooting?

Team Savage
    Ok so we went back out today to practice off a ladder. We only had time to run 3 strings each. Rain etc. got in the way. Going back tomorrow. Anyhow, Here is a video of each of us standing using sling and front bag. . I have the video's loaded on youtube so Ill put the links up. We werent necessarily shooting on a timer, but each time I got up I ended up having to kind of hurry. The guy was out bailing hay and every time I got up he was passing by so I had to get my shots in.

The first target was 10" shoot n c. The second two were 6". We were only at 120 yrds. Couldnt shoot at steel today, combine took out my target frame! Oh well.

Here is T standing. I thought she did extremely well. This was her first live fire off any type of barricade. She had dry fired a time or two.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVmGg-atT8

Then me. Ill admit I picked the best video of three. Not so much that the other two were technically worse as much as I said some things I couldnt edit out. lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BaVmGg-atT8

T's first attempt. The 10" target. I didnt save mine. Lets just say it wasnt as good. We fired 5 rounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast