Thread: FHSS Model 16 in 325 mods

gearandflapsup

FHSS Model 16 in 325 mods

I have finished (for now) modifying my Weather Warrior. It includes a Stocky's Tundra Thumb-hole Stock, a Shooters Ridge Bi-pod, and an Osprey International 6-24x Scope.

I am extremely happy with the Stocky's Stock. It really did reduce the felt recoil. When I shot it with the composite stock, I could only take about 7 rounds before I wanted to quit. After the new stock I shot a whole box of ammo and only quit because of the cost of each round ($2.86) and the barrel was getting hot.

I had my local gunsmith glass bed the stock and he did a stellar job. (Dave from Adventure Outdoors in Marietta GA). He also told me that he could machine a muzzle brake into the barrel for around $200. Comments from readers on the pros and cons of this would be appreciated.

The Bi-pod is not a swivel type. I wish I had spent the extra Jackson and gotten the swivel type. The gun lists to the left with this one cinched down. I will probably take it back if I can't figure out a way to level it without bending metal.

I will try to add pics after posting

The Osprey International Scope is still under evaluation. It seemed to track correctly but I hit a lateral limit and had to take the rings off the mount and add shims. After shimming it centered dead on at 50 yards. By the time I got to the 100 I had just about run a whole box of 180 gr Winchester Supreme Ballistic Silvertips through. So I took a few shots and decided to finish another day ( So I can save up for another box of ammo, ha ha). But seriously, the rounds are expensive so I wanted a cold barrel before I finished at the 100 yd line.

hailstone

Re: FHSS Model 16 in 325 mods

That is one round where huge savings are possible for those that reload. Lucked onto a Classic Model 14 in 325 last year for a very reasonable price. After saying I'll take it on a forum, started pricing ammo. Was very glad I've reloaded for nearly fifty years. Brass alone was $30 per fifty. Costs about 50 cents per round dependant on bullet used.

I've had Harris bipods do the same. Used to take the fiberboard from box Marlboro's when I smoked and place between stock/bipod on whichever side to level.

Frankly wonder why individuals buy magnum calibers only to install muzzle breaks. Defeats the purpose of a magnum. You won't like shooting it from the bench with muzzle brake because of back blast. Some individuals even use ear plugs while hunting although I wonder how they hear anything (game noise). Little concerned how he would machine a muzzle brake into the barrel. Any type of machining operation going from outside into the bore will leave burrs on inside of barrel. Will really help the accuracy with those burrs. Now if he's going to have it Mag-Na-Ported then no problem. EDM (electrical discharge machining) will leave no burrs on inside of a barrel. That's what is used when a barrel is Mag-Na-Ported.

gearandflapsup

I don't really think I need to do the muzzle brake now. The new stock took care of the recoil. The only reason I was considering it was increased accuracy. The noise of a brake is the main reason not to do it IMO.

I am looking into reloading. My dad did it when I was young. When I was 8 or 9 I helped him and even reloaded some of my own, with supervision. I have 100 rounds of factory ammo that I bought. As I shoot it up I will re-use the brass, but haven't decided which reloading kit to buy or if I should just piece a set together from craigslist, swap meets and gun shows. My other calibers are 223, 243, 7mm-08, 30-30, 30-06 and of course 325 WSM.

gearandflapsup

I shot this rifle at 275 yards today. I ended up with a 3 inch group that was slightly Right of center. Keep in mind that I was only using a bi-pod and my shoulder, not a shooting sled. Made a couple click adjustment and was very happy with the result.

I guess the Osprey International held up as good as I could expect. For budget glass it got the job done. The eye relief is extremely critical when at 24x. I don't have any experience with other scopes of that power (24x) so maybe they all are critical. ;D