Thread: Glass makers

Basic Member

Glass makers

Does anyone make glass in the US anymore? I know most get their glass from Japan, China, and I think some get their glass from Germany. Does anyone besides Vortex, and specifically the Razor AMG, make their glass here in the US?
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    I can't remember all of the details, but I spent an evening some time ago reading on scopes, optics, etc. Yes, most glass is made in the Pacific rim(includes China), and some come from Germany, but even some of the "German" optics glass comes from some eastern European countries. It is difficult to follow, and it changes constantly. Even some of the better "USA" scopes sources their glass from the Pacific rim.

Basic Member
    Manufacturing.......in the US......paying a livable wage...........? Shirley, you jest!

Basic Member
    The next rifle I build, I would like to purchase all the components to be manufactured purely in the US including the glass. Vortex AMG does make their own glass, but I was wondering if anyone else also makes their own glass here in the US.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Quote Originally Posted by psharon97 View Post
    Does anyone make glass in the US anymore? I know most get their glass from Japan, China, and I think some get their glass from Germany. Does anyone besides Vortex, and specifically the Razor AMG, make their glass here in the US?
    AFAIK the AMG is the only american glass. I know during a discussion a while back, the US Optics folks were claiming to be made in the USA, with a slightly under their breath(with foreign substitutions occasionally) statement.
    So, definitely maybe U.S.O.
    Can't speak to Chinese glass, but the major factories are: Schott and L.O.W. in Japan.
    The kicker for Light Optical Works, is that they have a few subsidiaries, so some of "their" glass is actually from the Philippines, or other pacific rim factory that falls under their control.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    I was hoping that at least one other scope maker in the US actually made their own glass. Some of us ARE willing to pay for American made products.

Unfortunately to start-up that sort of business takes quite a lot of doing. Which means the product falls to the "premium" price category.

But I do understand what you mean. Boots to beanie, all my clothes, gun powder, guns, & motorcycle are all made here.
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    Manufacturing.......in the US......paying a livable wage...........? Shirley, you jest!
    When you consider that, at least in my case I pay close to 50% of my income in some form of taxes, the government is responsible for wages being so high. At least the worker contributes something to the cause. The wall street investor ads nothing but a way to siphon money away from the company. Point: Publicly traded companies and the government stifle industry.

Other industrialized nations protect their industry and subsidize it. We, in the good old U.S. of A. pass laws to encourage them to move offshore.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    Until just a few years ago, the State Dept. was providing low cost loans to businessmen willing to open manufacturing facilities in Mexico to produce parts under contract with major aircraft builders in the US.

Obama shut that down after US job loss became an election year issue. I was made aware of this arrangement by the President of the aerospace co. I worked for. He was seriously considering moving the aerospace part of his business offshore in order to get some of those contracts, a pre-requisite for bidding.

About that same time, a (major aircraft builder) representative I had some dealings with told be about how his company was forced to "approve" a manufacturing facility in China that would produce major airframe parts for current airliner production. This was made necessary if the company wanted to sell its airliners in China, and they weren't the only aircraft builder doing this. There were others he spoke of.

When these major airframe parts arrived at the US assembly plant, they were immediately taken out to the yard, crushed and scrapped.

AFAIK, no Chinese parts were ever installed on any product destined for US markets, but prices probably had to be inflated to offset the losses.

That same kind of deal, but in reverse, is what led to manufacturing of foreign brands of autos here in the US. Toyota, Honda, Nissan, VW, just to name a few, brought tens of thousands of manufacturing jobs here, that were previously offshore.

Its true what they say....what comes around, goes around.

Ps; Robinhood, right with you, guy.....60% of my retirement income goes straight to property taxes here in Texas. It amounts to $700 a month. Add sales and other taxes and it's more like 70%.
    Last edited by Texas10; 10-08-2016 at 06:59 PM.