Thread: Axis scope recommendations

Axis scope recommendations

I have replaced the crappy Axis stock with a Boyd's laminate one. (much nicer)
    I have done the cut coil trigger job. (big improvement)
    I have had a bolt handle made for me by mscott71. (bigger than stock, but not overly so) Thanks so much.

I am now looking to upgrade the cheap Tasco 3x9 that came on my .308 Axis.

Recommendations?

I'm wanting a variable power scope with at least a 9 or 10 power top end. I'll never shoot 1,000 yards with it, but I like more magnification since I started getting older. I would love a 16 power top end, but I don't want one so big it makes the rifle look too "tacticool". I am wanting to keep the somewhat traditional look for the most part, but with better optics so I can see the target better. I'll be shortening the barrel and adding a brake, (possible future suppressor) and I'll be adding the CDI Precision bottom metal for the DBM, so it will deviate from the traditional look a bit, but I don't want a huge bulky scope on it. I don't mind turrets as long as they are not too big. A lighted scope would be nice, but it's not a deal breaker. Not looking to spend over $500 or $600 unless I fall in love with something.

How she sits now.

You know what I like best about people? Their dogs.

Hemi45
    Leupold is the only scope for me and in your price range there are some fine offerings. I recently bought, and suggest you look at, the Mark AR 4-12x40 - it's a lot of scope for the money. With 10% off at Optics Planet, the mil/mil model was delivered for $450. Sniper Central recently reviewed the next size up (6-18 IIRC) and it did well.

One thing you'll find is that you can get by with less magnification when you have higher quality glass, meaning that a higher quality 10x will make it easier to see your impacts down range than they would be with than a cheap 16x. I also don't generally recommend anything over 14x for a hunting rifle (varmint rifles are another subject).

I've gotten away from recommending specific scopes for the simple reason that everyone has a brand or model they tend to prefer (usually whatever they bought themselves), so such recommendations tend to be biased and a little one-sided. Best recommendation I can make is look through as many as you can outside in side-by-side comparison to see what looks best to you. I know, easier said than done.

I know looking in person is best, but I live in a small town at least a half hr drive to go look. Was thinking about buying online. I have bought many parts online, but maybe something like a scope is best bought in person.

I put a Leupold 3x9x40 Rifleman model on a RAR 223 and like it at 100 yds when punching paper. Target is clear for me at 61 yrs old. At 200, it's adequate, I can see targets, just not as well. I recently got 2 Model 12 FV's in 223 & 204, and got Leupold 4x12's in the rifleman model as well for these rifles. I'm hoping these will make things clearer at 200 and beyond.

I can see individual leaves and such at the 200 yd range with the 3x9 on the surrounding trees so I know I will be able to see groundhogs & yotes well enough once I spot them. I compared the 3x9 to a 10x Vortex mononocular (?) at the range the other day, and I liked the Leupold glass better, but that's my preference.

MrFurious is probably right in that what he likes/prefers, I or someone else may or may not like. Go try and look thru as many as you can so you can get what you prefer. It's your gun, no one else's. LOL

Ffndn
    Was wondering what stock from boyds that is? Im looking to do my 111 7mm. How much did that run you?
    Thanks

Basic Member
    Look at the leatherwood scopes.

Loopy 3-9 VX-2 is a great medium price choice. Just about all the scope you will ever need for a hunting rig like this.
    Ed Bell, PA Deer Hunter & NRA Life Member ~ “The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.”~

Basic Member
    4-12×40 redfield revolution

Primary Arms 4-14 Mil-Mil, FFP.
    Better glass/coatings than the SWFA 3-15, and will only cost you $229
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Quote Originally Posted by Ffndn View Post
    Was wondering what stock from boyds that is? Im looking to do my 111 7mm. How much did that run you?
    Thanks
    I can't remember for sure, but I'm thinking I got the Heritage. I spent around $240 on it, but I added a lot of extras. I got the better finish, the checkering, the white line spacers, the black tip and grip cap. I wish I had opted for the better buttpad, but I can live with this one.

swamphonkey
    You are going to get a ton of different answers on this. And there All right! For The person looking The scope May be The best. After 30 years of welding I can't really tell much difference between a high end $$ scope and a Nikon. The only thing I can tell is the edges on high power are not as crisp. But I'm a Hunter not A 1,000+yard bench shooter so I can live with that. Its up to what you can live with. Myself I'm more about it not changing POI and not fogging up. As long as I can count points and see a deer clear at 300 I'm cool. So I can get by with the Nikons and Redfields and other 200-300$ just fine. For the money your going to put out I have seen Zeiss?so and other very high end scopes on clearance So you should really look because you can get a really nice scope for that sweet Axis for 500$. Or you can do Like I do go get a Nikon or Vortex for 300$ and put the rest in feed for my deer. But I can live with that..

swamphonkey
    That's easy man. The Zeiss! And it cost less. I love Zeiss scopes. And that's a great price. As a matter of fact I'm going to order one myself on the 5th. And put it on my moms new rifle.

I got the Nikon M-308 4-16x42mm w/ BDC 800. Turrets are kinda fat, but they work well, and the image is very clear for the price. The mag ring is a bit stiff, but not so much as to make me pass up what I felt was a fair deal. I like the 16x top end too. I was concerned the ocular piece would not clear the bolt, but it fits perfect with the rings that came on the gun. (El-cheapo 3x9 going on my daughter's 10/22.) I mounted it as far back as I could due to the long action, (haven't got a one piece rail yet) and the eye relief was "spot on". Didn't expect that, but very happy. I got it used, (the guy said very little) but in absolutely perfect shape, with the box, all the factory papers, scope caps (the rear cover is thick, and touches the bolt, but does not keep it from operating) and ARD for $325.

It will be interesting to see how it shoots with the "spot on" software Nikon has for your smart phone.

OK, maybe not... Got to looking through it more, and ended up ordering a one piece base to move it back a tad.

Just put the new Nikon on the .308 Axis. It's also in a Boyds stock, and has a custom bolt knob put on the factory handle. It was a good shooter before with the el-cheapo Tasco 3x9 that came with it and PMC Bronze. Now I'll get to try it with better glass and 168gr Federal GMM.

Got the Weaver one piece base in and on today. Much better. No more turkey necking it.

That is a great looking stock, I did most of the same upgrades to my axis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    That's a beautiful stock. Looking like a fine rifle. Enjoy!!!

Better with the new one piece Weaver base. The eye relief changes with the magnification. Needed to set it back a bit.