Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Machining a Model 10 Aluminum Stock from Scratch

Basic Member

I weighed it before the fore end bars were in place but I don't have the final weight yet, it should be right at 15 pounds as shown give or take a few ounces.

My only suggestion would be to remove all of the photos showing the rifle in a pistol configuration for obvious reasons. You don't want to go down that rabbit hole.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Basic Member
    It occurred to me that you were referring to earlier photos so I went back and looked at what was posted. Part of working up a design on the fly requires setting the action in place to see if the trigger feels right with the grip location and get a visual for aesthetics. There was no illegal intent, it's just part of the process of building.
    Last edited by holescreek; 09-10-2016 at 05:59 AM. Reason: follow up

Basic Member
    I took it to the 100 yard range Sunday evening to see how it'd shoot before I tear it down for finishing. I need to tweak the mag catch a little but everything else worked perfectly. I shot a few 168gr SMK's, 168 TMK's and 168gr Hornaday BTHP's to see if it had a preference. The best two groups were SMK's. The left group was kind of odd, funny how random shots grouped together. I've been shooting fine crosshair scopes all week and this mil-dot had exponentially thicker lines.

Very Well done sir!!!
    I'm a firm believer in the theory that if it bleeds, I can kill it.

Basic Member
    "Random shots grouping together"...yep, that pretty much describes my shooting!.......LOL

I'm blaming parallax issues with the scope.....can't possibly be my technique

WeldNFool
    Awesome work holescreek!! Makes me wish I had a mill to just play around with and screw stuff up over many years so I could someday do something like this! Top notch work thanks for sharing.

Basic Member
    I parkerized and black oxided the steel parts a couple weeks ago and finally found time to shoot some paint on the aluminum parts. Final specs: 15.5 pounds empty, 37" folded and 46" full length. I'm going to work up a load for it in the spring and see what she'll do.

I like this better then any of the chassis I've seen. Im really not a fan of chassis rifles but this one is nice. You should be proud.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Banned
    holescreek: I've followed you making this as many others have, and it's absolutely beautiful my friend! You are very talented. I'm a DIY'er, but nothing compared to this! I've wanted to get & start learning a mill for some time now. I make custom knives, and really want to to learn to use a mill to start making folders. But it would just be another project I don't have time for. Be proud!

Basic Member
    Thanks fellas! I'm still getting this rifle figured out. I bought a new Sightron 8-32x56 scope for it and put together some SMK reloads for it just before the cold weather hit and haven't had it out to the range since. In the meantime I have several of gun projects in the Que to get me through the winter.

Since everyone likes pics, here are a couple previous(non Savage) builds. The stocks are aluminum of course, the red one was machined manually and the green one spent some time on the CNC. Both have barrels made from McGowen blanks and shoot exactly the same .6" average 5 shot groups 100 yards with the same SMK reloaded ammo.

Mauser 98 chambered in 7.62x54r:

Mosin Nagant (sort of) still in 54r:

I absolutely love the Nagant, **** I need a better Mill, but a decent gunsmithing lathe is next on the list.

Banned
    Holy cow man! Imagine Vasili Zaytsev coulda had YOU build his Nagant! Beautiful work brother!

Basic Member
    How did this thread end up in "Aftermarket Stocks"? It isn't sold and can't be bought. Is the "build" forum gone for good?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12