Thread: Help with AXIS decision

Basic Member

Help with AXIS decision

I have a heavy Douglas barrel for a 30-06 AI build. I haven't had any luck finding an old school 110 for this build. Lots of newer stuff - with higher prices! The local pawn shop has an Axis for $260 in 30-06.
    Tell me about the Axis.
    Other than - "they are ugly" - how do they shoot at distance?? I don't shoot in any competition but would like to go to 1000yds with this.
    Are there 20 MOA bases for the Axis?
    Aftermarket triggers?
    I am assuming the thread pitch on the barrel is the same as a small shank 110.

What are the down sides (cosmetics and resale value excluded) of building on an Axis vs. a 110?

Basic Member
    I have both an Axis and several 10/110s. I'm no expert but here are some things I do know.

1. 20 MOA bases available? Yes, I have an EGW on mine.
    2. Aftermarket triggers? Yes, Rifle Basix Sav-1 and Timney both fit the Axis. I have a RB on mine and like it, but not as much as the SSS Competition that I have on a 110.
    3. Barrel threads? Standard Savage small shank, so any small shank barrel will fit.
    4. Downsides? Not as many aftermarket options as the 110, stock, triggers etc.

Swissfan summed it up nicely!

I haven't shot a factory Axis out to 1000 yards, but I have three project rifles that have made the trip.

"Taxis", .243 Winchester: 1000 yard steel and F-Class rig.

"Maxis", .300 Win Mag : 1000 yard steel and 1 mile steel

The other one, 6.5 Creed: 1000 yard steel

Basic Member
    OK
    Thanks for the info and eye candy!! I think I'll make a trip to the pawn shop and bring that one home. Doc, what brand of stocks are the non laminated ones??

They're all laminate. They're Boyds Pro-Varmints. Same one I run. Hard to beat for the money.

Yep, the two painted stocks are the standard "plywood painted with truck bed coating" Boyds sells as the standard Pro Varmint. The normal plywood is probably fine. I haven't run into any trouble with it, though all of mine are pillared and bedded. The colored laminates just seem sturdier. I actually would prefer Boyds didn't charge extra for NOT spraying the stocks with truck bed coating, as I have some other textured sprays I would like to use. But that's just Boyds for you!

Basic Member
    Are them factory barrels on them Drthunder? I have two axis have t shot them over 200 yards yet but they shoot half moa out to 200 yards. Pretty much the done side is not as much aftermarket support. There is two stocks I know of Boyd's, the. MDT does make a chassis system for them and that's all I know of. It's up to you depends on what you want out of it. I'm sure you could make it shoot to 1000 pretty easily just pick and aftermarket trigger, Boyd's stock of your choice pillar bedded and action bedded. Good scope and mounts I do t see why it wouldn't shoot good. If you want to spend the extra money could have the action trued and timed also.

None of those have factory barrels they are Shilen prefit, Apache Gun Works custom, and The Barrel Outlet (McGowen) custom.

I do have an Axis HB .243 Win that looks forlornly at me since I never take it out to shoot it, and I just got an Axis in 6.5 Creed that I'm going to have to work into the rotation. Once I get the triggers shimmed and cheek rests installed, I will be interested to see how they do at long range. At that point, they won't be "factory", but at least the barrels will be.

And the other option for an Axis stock is Sharp Shooter Supply. My next stock will most likely be a SSS, though the prospect of ordering from SSS is at least as daunting as ordering from Boyds. Here's hoping Boyds gets their shi..."plastic hardware" together or MDT finally starts producing an Axis version of the HS3.
    Last edited by DrThunder88; 08-20-2016 at 05:38 PM.

Help with AXIS decision

I
    This is my Boyd stock. Pro varmint if I remember correctly. Nobody likes the color but I wanted something different from the black stocks that everyone has. I didn't notice a difference in my groups, I'm shooting .223 and I don't think the stock flexes that much. But I really like the feel of the wood stock and it was only like $160 investment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nobody likes the color
    Actually someone does. I like it.