Thread: Boyds Stock - Axis - Front Clip and Pillar Bedding, getting rid of the plastic

Boyds Stock - Axis - Front Clip and Pillar Bedding, getting rid of the plastic

I recently bedded and pillar mounted a Boyds Stock to an Axis Heavy Barrel in .308. The Boyds Stock is the Varmint Thumbhole and it comes with a plastic trigger guard and a plastic front mounting clip or pillar. GET RID OF THE PLASTIC! When I mounted the stock and torqued the mounting screws down, the plastic pieces were cracking and splitting. I did not find out until I went to the range and the groupings were all over the place. When I got back to the shop and dismounted the stock, the plastic pieces had definitely split into pieces. I decided to get rid of the plastic and bed the stock. The metal trigger guard is available from Boyds but there was no metal replacement for the front clip. I ended up CNC machining a piece out of 6061 aluminum. Here are the steps I took:

The pillars I used are 3/8"OD x 1/4"ID x 1" for the rear and 1/2" for the front. I started by drilling the stock to fit the 3/8" pillars and bedded the stock.

Front Pillar
    The front bedding and pillar turned out great.

Rear Pillar

For the rear pillar, be very careful when drilling out the hole. The rear wall of the laminate wood will be paper thin and will chip off very easy. If it does chip off, you can go ahead and size the pillar down and seal it with epoxy to fill the void.

I went ahead and purchased the metal trigger guard but I did something different with the front mounting clip.

Front Mounting Clip

I redesigned then CNC milled a mounting clip out of 6061 aluminum. The Boyds plastic clip had a hole extension or pillar extension on the clip which I did not include in my design. This optimized the pillar mount in the front.

Front Clip

Now, I can place the aluminum mounting clip on the stock and have metal on metal contact.

Rear pillar

In the rear, you can see where I bedded the rear trigger guard cavity.

I did this to get a flush fit with the trigger guard and to make sure I have a good flat surface when torqing down the rear screws.

I now have a good metal-on-metal mount on the front and rear and can torque down the mounting screws without worrying about any cracked plastic.

It is a good solid fit and the magazine clip pops right into place.

I would highly recommend getting rid of the plastic hardware, pillar mounting and bedding the stock. The mounting of the Boyds Stock is now much more solid and secure. I also have a video online if anyone is interested.

You should market those inserts......
    You may even get Boyd's to offer them as an upgrade if you can talk them into allowing you to be the supplier.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    You should market those inserts......
    You may even get Boyd's to offer them as an upgrade if you can talk them into allowing you to be the supplier.
    Great idea! I would buy two tomorrow.

I actually have them on the market already. You can get the front clip by itself or get the front clip & pillars in a kit.
    Last edited by J.Baker; 08-19-2016 at 12:40 AM. Reason: Removed URL per forum solicitation rules

Basic Member
    I just ordered 3 of these. You should talk to Mr. Furious about advertising. He has a couple different options for marketing these types of products here.

I remember this from your YouTube video! I came across it when I posted my own video diatribe about Boyds and the decreasing quality of their non-wood parts. I still prefer something that would positively lock in place so I didn't need to worry about losing a small, $30 piece, but this idea is solid. Sharp Shooter Supply Axis stocks have a similar feature, but I believe theirs acts as a front pillar as well.

All in all, I don't mind plastic locking points for the magazine. It's the plastic bearing structures for the action screws that bugs me.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I just ordered 3 of these. You should talk to Mr. Furious about advertising. He has a couple different options for marketing these types of products here.
    Thanks for your order! How do I find Mr. Furious?

Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    I remember this from your YouTube video! I came across it when I posted my own video diatribe about Boyds and the decreasing quality of their non-wood parts. I still prefer something that would positively lock in place so I didn't need to worry about losing a small, $30 piece, but this idea is solid. Sharp Shooter Supply Axis stocks have a similar feature, but I believe theirs acts as a front pillar as well.

All in all, I don't mind plastic locking points for the magazine. It's the plastic bearing structures for the action screws that bugs me.
    I just watched your video! Very informative. This was my first Boyds stock, so I have only seen the latest version (Varmint Thumbhole) with the plastic front mount and plastic trigger guard. The stock itself feels very solid, but I sure was disappointed with the plastic and how easily they cracked when applying torque to the action screws. I will keep my eye on the rear plastic magazine catch. I looked at it pretty close, but didn't think it would be under too much of a load with the .308, but a magnum cartridge might be a different story.

I'm probably going to do some more modifications to the stock, not structurally, but to better fit my hand and trigger reach. Maybe design an over-sized trigger guard for a better fit when wearing gloves.

Basic Member
    Top of page, click on "Advertising " tab.

Or just PM me.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

BTW, I'm amazed it took someone 4 years to come up with the exact same thing that Fred at SSS has been using on his Axis stocks since he launched them in the fall of 2012.

"Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by MrFurious View Post
    BTW, I'm amazed it took someone 4 years to come up with the exact same thing that Fred at SSS has been using on his Axis stocks since he launched them in the fall of 2012.

It is pretty similar, not exact but the same design intent. First time I have seen that stock...very similar to Boyds.

SSS's also acts as a pillar, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember, does the Axis Pro Hunter have a rear pillar?

Also, is the Axis Pro Tac ever going to be a thing? I remember hearing "coming soon" in 2013 and then nothing.

Thought about rear pillar for my Boyd's Axis laminate stocks but I use the metal trigger guard and really never saw the need for one. Skim bedded laminate stocks just don't tend to compress.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DrThunder88 View Post
    SSS's also acts as a pillar, if I'm not mistaken. I can't remember, does the Axis Pro Hunter have a rear pillar?

Also, is the Axis Pro Tac ever going to be a thing? I remember hearing "coming soon" in 2013 and then nothing.
    The front is a one piece pillar magazine latch.
    The rear also has a pillar and a metal magazine latch point for the short magazines.
    They are also supplied with a metal trigger guard.
    The Pro Tac has been out since 2013, just not much call for them. Any of our stocks can be inletted for an Axis.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    ordered a kit :) putting it in my 6.5 creedmoor coyote thumbhole stock

Basic Member
    Just rec'd mine. They seem good, just as presented here. No idea if they are necessary, but for the money, it's worth having. Why not? What can it hurt, all things considered?

Basic Member
    I would prefer they came with a roughed-up or textured finish around the pillar portion. Something for the epoxy to grab hold of when installing. Nothing I can't do myself, but would be nice if I didn't have to.

Would that front mounting clip work in a 16 Trophy Hunter as well? Getting a Boyd's Thumbhole FT and want to pillar bed it.

Basic Member
    I will know sometime Thursday. I have a few Boyds stocks for the TH models and those metal parts at my shop, but won't be able to get there again to confirm until Thursday.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    I will know sometime Thursday. I have a few Boyds stocks for the TH models and those metal parts at my shop, but won't be able to get there again to confirm until Thursday.
    Great, let me know how it goes!

Basic Member
    Yes. The Boyds stocks inletted for the TH models WILL accept these Axis metal pieces. I don/t think the pillars will work, though. Don't worry about that, though. You can make your own pillar out of threaded lamp rod or something similar.