i've been working up loads for my .223 built from savage short action and while i had no problem finding a tack driver of a target load using 69gr nosler custom competitions, when i tried to come up with a varmint hunting load using 53gr vmax i wasnt able to get less than 1 moa. with the 69gr every load i tested was between .25 and .65 moa.

i used brand new winchester brass with full case prep including everything from full length sizing to primer pocket uniforming. i used bechmark with loads ranging from 24.5gr to 26.9gr. started experiencing preasure signs at 26.7 (cratering) and pierced primers at 26.9. i loaded to what i determinted to be 0.020" off the lands using hornady's comparator setup.

i've always started 0.020" off the lands and have nearly always been satisfied with the results, so im wondering if maybe this bullet just likes being closer to the lands or actually loaded the the length listed in the hornady manual (2.23" iirc)

at this point im not sure if i should continue or just stick to my heavier target loads. a varmint load for this rifle is definatly more of a want than a need since i also have a .22-250 that will see most of the varmint hunting anyway.

any tips or advice?