Thread: How to test tracking

Cmonsta

How to test tracking

What is the easiest way to effectively check tracking on a scope? I am new to this and curious how everyone does this.

Box test has been used once or three times.

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6joBXXyoAUA
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Cmonsta
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Box test has been used once or three times.

or this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6joBXXyoAUA
    I actually just watched that also. Helpful for sure. I'll have to look up the box test. Thank you!

Basic Member
    Google litz tall target test. It gives you a much easier way to calculate a corrective factor in case your scope isnt exactly tracking 100%. With that information you can adjust your dope cards or ballistic apps.

Cmonsta
    Awesome I will look that up tonight! Thank you. Dang I have a lot to learn lol.

Yes, I have seen that and it made instant sense....at least to me, being a new guy and learning LR scope stuff....this is a good easy way to exactly get to know your scopes "dope" !!

Basic Member
    If you're going to go through the box test, make sure you dial in at least 5 mils/20 MOA per side. That will be the surest way to determine if your scope is tracking via the turret input. The tall target test reveals two facets of the scope. It will show you if you're scope is tracking straight when you run the elevation up, and if your rifle is accurate enough, and you're capable enough, it will show the actual change in Point Of Impact (POI). The Tall Target Test also reveals flat spots in your adjustment range, where adjusting the turret does not move the reticle, or moves it less than your input called for.

If you have a Mil/Mil scope, each mil at 100 yards is 3.6". If you have a true MOA/MOA scope, one MOA is 1.047". There are also scopes on the market that are labeled "IPHY", or Inches Per one Hundred Yards. If you have IPHY 1/4" clicks, then 4 clicks (at a 100 yard target) should show a (POI) change of 1" rather than the MOA which is 1.047" at 100 yards. In the real world the difference between MOA and IPHY is negligible. Where it becomes important is when you are shooting long ranges (1000 yards and beyond).

I've done this before

https://youtu.be/q886sc-2grk

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Well it goes without saying, good equiptment that functions properly is a priority, and especially when shooting at longer distances.
    I must admit that in the many years ive been shooting and hunting long range, ive never done a ladder or box test with any of my scopes.
    And i'll further admit to having no intention of starting now.
    Ive never had the speedometers on my vehicles checked either, and I usually wait for things to break before I have them fixed.
    Chances are most others do likewise.
    The differences here with scopes and shooting long range is the unknown, or in plain words lack of experience.
    The real rules are, that there are no rules you can totally rely on from day to day or maybe even minit to minit.
    Where the bullet hits, is where the bullet hits. You can choose to take the time to find why, or you can just compensate by whatever means you choose.
    But whatever your choice, it first requires seeing the bullet hit, and failure to do that, makes all other things moot.
    Remember also that tomorrow with the same gun and the same target and dope, it will likely land someplace else.
    Most shooters have far more ability to hit things at long distances than they realize. The attitude should be, if he can, I can,and the fact is you can.
    My suggestion would be to get a buddy to watch thru a spotting scope as you shoot and call shots for you.
    But the most important thing is to just go do it, and don't worry about what Brian or anybody else says.
    Shoot first, then decide if the books and scope tests are even necessary.
    Just put the dammed shrimp on the hook and get it in the water. lol

I use a magnetic grid boresighter. Just takes a couple seconds to tell me almost all I need to know about the integrity of the optic I'm using

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Well it goes without saying, good equiptment that functions properly is a priority, and especially when shooting at longer distances.
    I must admit that in the many years ive been shooting and hunting long range, ive never done a ladder or box test with any of my scopes.
    And i'll further admit to having no intention of starting now.
    Ive never had the speedometers on my vehicles checked either, and I usually wait for things to break before I have them fixed.
    Chances are most others do likewise.
    The differences here with scopes and shooting long range is the unknown, or in plain words lack of experience.
    The real rules are, that there are no rules you can totally rely on from day to day or maybe even minit to minit.
    Where the bullet hits, is where the bullet hits. You can choose to take the time to find why, or you can just compensate by whatever means you choose.
    But whatever your choice, it first requires seeing the bullet hit, and failure to do that, makes all other things moot.
    Remember also that tomorrow with the same gun and the same target and dope, it will likely land someplace else.
    Most shooters have far more ability to hit things at long distances than they realize. The attitude should be, if he can, I can,and the fact is you can.
    My suggestion would be to get a buddy to watch thru a spotting scope as you shoot and call shots for you.
    But the most important thing is to just go do it, and don't worry about what Brian or anybody else says.
    Shoot first, then decide if the books and scope tests are even necessary.
    Just put the dammed shrimp on the hook and get it in the water. lol
    One way to fish is to put shrimp on the hook and toss it in the water. But if the fish are only biting on fast moving artificial lures that day, you'll be eating at Long John Silvers that evening.

Likewise, you can shoot things at long distance without really understanding what's going on around you and without any kind of scientific testing. But most people will get more out of the sport if they do a bit of self education. The OP sounds like someone who would like to learn more about his equipment and how it works. Reading about the several ways to test/calibrate a scope and then going to the range to duplicate the appropriate experiments is not only educational, but it can be fun too.

People involved in long range "sniper" style shooting, either at long range targets or God's furry animals where achieving success on the very first shot is the key to success are usually more interested in precision ballistics than the average shooter. I shoot medium/long range F-Class and BR matches. All I really need is sufficiently accurate dope to get me on paper after which a little tweaking with my sighter rounds puts me where I need to be. But even if ultra-precise ballistics dope isn't required, I find it challenging and interesting to be familiar enough with my scope and the ballistics of my ammo so that my first sighter is a 10, at least once in a while. I find that a satisfying part of match shooting even though it's not really necessary.

I would encourage the OP to take advantage of the vast array of information on forums like this to enhance his shooting experience. Saying "I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then" might make sense when it comes to politics, but I would say that knowledge and understanding is a good thing when it comes to shooting.............. fishing too. But that's just me. YMMV

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
    I use a magnetic grid boresighter. Just takes a couple seconds to tell me almost all I need to know about the integrity of the optic I'm using
    Would that be you Steve?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    Would that be you Steve?
    Si si, senor Ernie.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sscoyote View Post
    Si si, senor Ernie.
    Good seeing you here Steve, experienced people like you are much needed lol.
    Anyway, are you still whacking those dogs in the next state with those big pistols?
    And are you still finding them with the Highlanders?

Yessir!--and the Highlanders are often used sir. Love 'em!