Thread: Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50mm

Athlon Optics Argos BTR 6-24x50mm

Yeah, my scope costs more than my gun...before embellishments, I mean.

If one imagines the world of scopes as depicted by Internet comments, there would be a small but steep mountain range inhabited by species of the "Buy Once, Cry Once" variety surrounded by a vast and seemingly undifferentiated plain populated by lowly "Cheap Scopes". But no mountain range is without foothills, and it is in these highlands where a third genera of scopes has evolved.

Plenty of room beneath that two inch objective even in medium rings.

The best known of these "Great (for the Money)" scopes is probably the Primary Arms 4-14x44mm FFP scope, which likely rolls off the same assembly line in China as the BSA scope of the same specifications. Athlon is a comparatively new entry in this category, though its products seem to share many of PA and BSA's features as well as its price point. They produce a 4-14x44mm FFP model called "Talos", but this review will focus on its larger (though not largest) sibling, the 6-24x50mm Argos. Unlike PA's offerings, Athlon scopes all have illuminated reticles.

It was stupid hard to get this shot. It was the best I could do.

The Argos runs about $370 most everywhere it can be found. It sports a one piece 30mm tube with a familiar oval-faced turret base. Athlon's crenelations on the turrets and power ring are smaller and a bit more understated than Primary Arms'. Neither style strikes me as better than the other, and the aesthetics are arguable. The fit and finish is as good or better than the basic PA scopes I've handled. A nice bonus is the inclusion of front and rear flip caps for the lenses, though I'm still probably going to be replacing the rear cap with a Butler Creek push button model. The box is an interesting affair with a hinged lid, magnetic closure, and form-fitting foam: a classy touch but it's not the kind of thing I'd plan on keeping. The turrets suffer the same mismatch as PA's. The hashmarks on the turrets don't correspond with the stator on the scope itself. The clicks are also a bit soft but remain positive.

Like many cheap scopes with soft clicks, this one suffers from turrets syndrome.

The scope works really well. I had this one on my 6.5 Creedmoor Axis with an EGW 20 MOA rail and Vortex medium rings. This setup joined me at my recent trip to MTC where it proved itself competent on steel, delivering accurate fire out to 1000 yards. The glass is clear and bright at maximum magnification. This is my first scope with a 50mm objective, so some of that may be due to the wider glass. The weather also helped with mostly clear skies both times I had the scope out. I will say the lenses did fog up going from my air conditioned home to one of the hottest, muggiest days of the summer. There is some expected optical rather than humidity related fuzziness at the highest power, but not enough to impede its use.

Not as good as the one turned in by my PA and .243 Winchester Axis, but it was still pretty good.

The tracking on the scope is very good. As I mentioned, hitting steel at 1000 yards was no problem after dialing the solution provided to me by the Shooter app. A box drill performed at home delivered some great results as well. I could only shoot the box at 100 yards, dialing only up to the first mil. The composite group shows the scope and rifle were putting Hornady ELDs one on top another.

Eight shots that would have been under an inch if they'd all been shot at the same target.

I didn't think to try the holdovers built into the APMR-mil reticle when I was at the long range, but the reticle is pretty straightforward. I would have thought the numerals on the reticle would have cluttered up the view, but it turns out they're not obtrusive. I would like to see the 0.2 mil graduations closer to the center of the reticle, because they are nearly invisible at maximum power. The reticle has a solid center crosshair. A better choice for an FFP scope with higher magnification like this would be a hollow center. It isn't bad, but it would help to elevate this scope.

From OpticsPlanet.com.

The bottom line: the Athlon Argos 6-24x50mm is a promising new entry in the realm of Great for the Money scopes. It's a feature-rich scope with repeatable adjustments and clear glass. There will probably be at least one more of these in my cabinet.

I'd be interested in side-by-siding this scope with Primary Arms' forthcoming 6-24x50mm FFP scope, though PA's reticle choice is a bit disheartening. Similarly, I'd like to try the Talos 4-14x44mm against the much loved PA 4-14x44mm.

Basic Member
    Nice review. I just purchased a vortex 6-24x50 HS-T for $650 and it's not a FFP scope. Hopefully these lower priced FFP scopes will get the other higher price FFP scopes to come down some if the lower priced ones are durable. What kind of warrenty does anthlon offer? Never heard of them.
    Savage 10 FCP-SR 308, 300BO PCS

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by bearcatrp View Post
    Nice review. I just purchased a vortex 6-24x50 HS-T for $650 and it's not a FFP scope. Hopefully these lower priced FFP scopes will get the other higher price FFP scopes to come down some if the lower priced ones are durable. What kind of warrenty does anthlon offer? Never heard of them.

Lifetime warranted, no paperwork needed fully transferable, just doesn't cover obvious physical damage like Vortex. Quite a few have tested it and have been very well taken care of, this a company that is exploding in popularity, there's a 28 page thread about them on the hide, and a fan page on Facebook. Everything seems extremely positive so far.

I do hope they maintain their current level of quality. With cheap, overseas manufacturing the only place to really cut back would be QA.

Thanks for the review of this Athlos 6-24X50 BTR scope....I just ordered one yesterday and still a bit nervous about my purchase. BUT, that's all I can afford right now and it seems like lots of people give it a thumps up?! So I guess I will find out. The Savage LRP 243 arrived Saturday, the EGW base yesterday and I have had ordered a set of Weaver tactical 6-hole rings a week ago. As soon as I get it "glued down" , zero'ed in and make some real nice holes in a paper target I will be reporting back!
    Bought 2 Mueller 8-32X44 tactical lately and absolutely love them, but trying to learn a mix of Mildot and MOA is hard....so I went for Mil/Mil. Almost went MOA/MOA....but chickened out.....we'll see how the Argos compares to them too...

I have this scope and taken it to the range several times now, its mounted on a 6.5CM. For what I paid I have absolutely no complaints, yes there are some minor things mentioned in the OP, but at the price point its hard to beat. Funds were (are) tight right now so this allows me to shoot and get trigger time which is more important right now. Eventually it will work its way to the "backup" but for now it does the job just fine.

As a side note, I also have one of the other models on a 6.8 AR that I am taking deer hunting this year. If it holds up to the weather and clanging around it might be my go to for hunting optics

Justin.D
    Figured I would let you guys know that I've put about 200 rds down range with my Argos and in all I'm very happy with it. The glass is very clear and bright, the reticle is very nice, and the parrallax is dead on accurate from what I can tell. The scope has no problem holding zero and tracking accurately, so its doing what it needs to do. The construction on the scope overall is good, my only gripe is like the OP my turrets leave more to be desired in the feel and noise department, but they work. Something else to note, I was talking with some people and Athlons warrantee is actually from what I can understand the same as Vortex, they do cover accidents like dropping them or running it over with a truck, which I guess is nice to know. Return time on warrantee work for those who have needed it seems to be about a week or less from the day you send it off. Also something to note for November and December these scopes are on sale for 315 bucks. I dont know how you can beat it, and I would buy it again even at the 370 normal price.

Basic Member
    That's a hard price to beat... Think I'll bypass Vortex and opt for this. Worst comes to worst I'll throw it on the next build / beater and get something nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin.D View Post
    Figured I would let you guys know that I've put about 200 rds down range with my Argos and in all I'm very happy with it. The glass is very clear and bright, the reticle is very nice, and the parrallax is dead on accurate from what I can tell. The scope has no problem holding zero and tracking accurately, so its doing what it needs to do. The construction on the scope overall is good, my only gripe is like the OP my turrets leave more to be desired in the feel and noise department, but they work. Something else to note, I was talking with some people and Athlons warrantee is actually from what I can understand the same as Vortex, they do cover accidents like dropping them or running it over with a truck, which I guess is nice to know. Return time on warrantee work for those who have needed it seems to be about a week or less from the day you send it off. Also something to note for November and December these scopes are on sale for 315 bucks. I dont know how you can beat it, and I would buy it again even at the 370 normal price.
    Where did you find that discount? Google turned up nothing.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Thanks

Basic Member
    Check midway again. They are listed as in Stock right now. I grabbed a blemished one for 293 just now. Free shipping

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by infantrydude View Post
    Where did you find that discount? Google turned up nothing.

I bought mine from Arron at A&J Sporting Goods on facebook. He is very knowledgeable, has great customer service, price matches, uses 2 day insured shipping and throws things in like zero stop washers and MK machining magnification throw rings. I was very happy with my purchase through him.

Justin.D
    Quote Originally Posted by BigBabyMoses06 View Post
    Thats a non BTR model, which uses a different, non-illuminated reticle and has capped turrets. For that reason I like the BTR model, and I think they have better resale value, considering they are way way more widely used. The non BTR isnt really too popular, more of a hunting scope.

Basic Member
    I took my 6-24 btr out yesterday and i'm very pleased. i'm running the same setup from the looks of it. egw 20moa base and burris xtr rings. yours look like low's which I should have bought (I went mids)

Prior to this i've ran the SS scopes for the bang for the buck (10x mil dot, and 12x mrad) this is my new favorite and I plan to buy a 4-14 talos btr to try out as well. maybe one day I can afford a cronus.

Basic Member
    My rings showed up today. Burris 30mm Signature Zee Rings, Medium height. Cheapest I could find was on Amazon/Prime. I think BH had them same price.
    Plenty of room and at a comfortable height.

http://imgur.com/a/0y03t