Thread: primer pocket brush

Team Savage

primer pocket brush

Anyone know of a primer pocket brush? Specifically that goes into lyman trim station. If there is not such a thing, there should be.

I do a second tumble to remove lube and re shine after ultrasonic, but I get a coating of powder in the primer pocket. I dont mind punching out the media that clogs up the flash hole but the dust/crud layer in the primer pocket needs to come out. Right now I use a q tip and wipe them out. If there isnt one specifically for brass prep, I would bet there is a dremell attachment that is floating around out there that would work. I have found lots of rcbs but so far not lyman.

My ocd requires I find one lol.

RCBS actually sells the large and small primer pocket brushes that fit. Can I suggest using a carbide pocket uniformer in a drill. It will make all of your pockets the same depth and square.
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I've use a lyman ( I think ) wire brush tool that cleans out the pocket. I put it on an electric drill for those situations when I need it. Lyman Primer Pocket Brushes

Usually I wet tumble in SS pins and that gets the primer pockets very clean. Lately I've tried Ultra Sonic clean followed by wet tumble to get the inside of the necks shiny bright. Tumbling alone just doesn't seem to get them completely clean. Still trying to nail down which process gives the more consistent neck tension.

Annealing is for consistent neck tension. Tumbling is for factory clean cases. Graphite, carbon or other neck lubes compatible with GP are to inhibit the bonding between the projectile and the case..
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Team Savage
    This time around I used the dry neck lube so I wouldnt get spray lube inside. I had pulled apart some rounds a while back and found that there was media stuck inside. I imagine it had been stuck the walls on excess lube. I had skipped the ultrasonic. That step gets lube basically off all surfaces but when I re shine them in the tumbler, I get a crud layer in the primer pocket. Normally I have already run the primer pocket uniforming tool back during case prep and trim. This is why I am looking for a softer tool that will remove the dust/grime that builds up from vib. media. Ive seen the rcbs. It has metal bristles. My concern is that it would remove more brass speeding up the aging process and prematurely wearing out my cases.

A brush similar to rcbs but with nylon would work just fine. I guess worse case I can buy a sonic toothbrush and cut off all the extra bristles and just run that through as the last step before priming.

If I didnt care that the brass had a mat finish, I could stop after the ultrasonic and load. After they are dried in the oven at this step they are perfectly clean. But I like them to look brand new and that means shiney! So back in the vib. media for a couple more hours.

If the rcbs will screw into the lyman trim center then good otherwise toothbrush it is.

Basic Member
    Grind down a small screwdriver to fit the pocket, and about 1 turn will eliminate the crud.

LongRange
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas10 View Post
    I've use a lyman ( I think ) wire brush tool that cleans out the pocket. I put it on an electric drill for those situations when I need it. Lyman Primer Pocket Brushes

Usually I wet tumble in SS pins and that gets the primer pockets very clean. Lately I've tried Ultra Sonic clean followed by wet tumble to get the inside of the necks shiny bright. Tumbling alone just doesn't seem to get them completely clean. Still trying to nail down which process gives the more consistent neck tension.
    you dont want the insides of your necks shinny bright...when you stainless tumble do you notice theres a light brown/tan color residue left inside? its just like lube and makes seating and bullet release more consistent...seat a bullet in a shinny case and seat a bullet in a SS tumbled case then pull them and look at the base of the bullet...i bet the shinny case bullet is scratched up.

Quote Originally Posted by doctnj View Post
    This time around I used the dry neck lube so I wouldnt get spray lube inside. I had pulled apart some rounds a while back and found that there was media stuck inside. I imagine it had been stuck the walls on excess lube. I had skipped the ultrasonic. That step gets lube basically off all surfaces but when I re shine them in the tumbler, I get a crud layer in the primer pocket. Normally I have already run the primer pocket uniforming tool back during case prep and trim. This is why I am looking for a softer tool that will remove the dust/grime that builds up from vib. media. Ive seen the rcbs. It has metal bristles. My concern is that it would remove more brass speeding up the aging process and prematurely wearing out my cases.

A brush similar to rcbs but with nylon would work just fine. I guess worse case I can buy a sonic toothbrush and cut off all the extra bristles and just run that through as the last step before priming.

If I didnt care that the brass had a mat finish, I could stop after the ultrasonic and load. After they are dried in the oven at this step they are perfectly clean. But I like them to look brand new and that means shiney! So back in the vib. media for a couple more hours.

If the rcbs will screw into the lyman trim center then good otherwise toothbrush it is.
    yes it will screw in...most of the parts are 8-40.

try the liquid lanolin isopropyl alcohol at a 12 to 1 mix for sizing once you do youll never use another sizing lube...get a SS tumbler and throw the dry media tumbler in the trash and use the sonic as a parts cleaner...or store it next to the dry media tumbler LOL!!

125 case...
    pop primers with a universal de-capping die
    anneal....every second firing
    SS tumble...1.5hrs
    spritz with sizing lube above
    size
    wipe lube off outside case with 70% isopropyl
    trim
    clean PPs with a carbide uniformer...every second firing

from start to finish all of the above takes me 3.5hrs...a little less if im focused...if im not annealing and cleaning PPs about 30mins less.

Team Savage
    I wrote up a whole big thing and tried to transfer a picture and lost everything. errrrrrrr.

Ill get an rcbs brush and try it. Although I would rather it was nylon. I have a couple other ideas that Im going to try. Ill post back if they work worth a crap.

Basic Member
    I've been doing the screwdriver option for 10 years. Works like a charm. Filed the sides so it fits. Then I filed the double angle so it fits the bottom of the pocket. Doesn't remove any brass.

Team Savage
    Can you post a pic

LongRange
    this will fit in your prep station just make sure you order the large primer one...

http://www.brownells.com/reloading/c...585D5E22B438CF

SavageShooter
    That was a GREAT post you made Long Range. I've been using the traditional walnut hulls in a vibatory type case cleaner, but after reading your post, I'm going to get a ss pin tumbler and start using it. Many thanks to all of you boys who share your reloading methods here.

Basic Member
    I'm just going to keep using a wad of "Never Dull" ;-))

But only when I want to show off My reloads.

LongRange
    thanks SavageShooter!!

ok so i lied and left out rinsing,drying and letting the brass cool after tumbling...i did everything below except for annealing and it took me 3 hours 25 minutes so with annealing it would be 3 hours 45-50 minutes...going to have to tighten up the time a little!!

125 case...
    pop primers with a universal de-capping die
    anneal....every second firing
    SS tumble...1.5hrs
    rinse and dry brass
    spritz with sizing lube above
    size
    wipe lube off outside case with 70% isopropyl
    trim
    clean PPs with a carbide uniformer...every second firing

SidecarFlip
    Anyone know of a primer pocket brush? Specifically that goes into lyman trim station. If there is not such a thing, there should be.

I do a second tumble to remove lube and re shine after ultrasonic, but I get a coating of powder in the primer pocket. I dont mind punching out the media that clogs up the flash hole but the dust/crud layer in the primer pocket needs to come out. Right now I use a q tip and wipe them out. If there isnt one specifically for brass prep, I would bet there is a dremell attachment that is floating around out there that would work. I have found lots of rcbs but so far not lyman.

My ocd requires I find one lol.
    Your OCD should demand a switch to STS wet media tumbling. I lost the dry crap over a year ago and my pockets, flash holes and case interiors are as clean and shiny as the exterior walls are with no dust, no media to throw away and no noisy vibrating bowl. The dirt goes down the drain. I do little if any pocket prep anymore.

Team Savage
    Oh you are correct. I will own one. The cheapskate in me wants to get the money back out of what I already bought first. Its getting close!!!! Back when I was really looking at them, I had just purchased a second ultra sonic after the first one died. So I thought I would at least use up the huge container of walnut shells and see where things are at that point.

I had also read some opinions about possibly getting the cases "too" clean. Not sure I buy that. Right around that time I had seen some trading in their SS for standard tumbler again. Ill more than likely be looking at getting one the first of next year as Im trying to spread out some of the expense a little. Just finished getting the last few items to start match shooting.

SidecarFlip
    Oh you are correct. I will own one. The cheapskate in me wants to get the money back out of what I already bought first. Its getting close!!!! Back when I was really looking at them, I had just purchased a second ultra sonic after the first one died. So I thought I would at least use up the huge container of walnut shells and see where things are at that point.

I had also read some opinions about possibly getting the cases "too" clean. Not sure I buy that. Right around that time I had seen some trading in their SS for standard tumbler again. Ill more than likely be looking at getting one the first of next year as Im trying to spread out some of the expense a little. Just finished getting the last few items to start match shooting.
    Too clean? Clean as new is all the cleaner they will get. I like the fact that there is no leftover powder residue inside. Pockets come out clean as well as flash holes. Back in the day all you could get was a Thumlers and a bag of STS rods. Now Frankfort had one and Lyman just came put with theirs and prices have went down. I have the Frankfort and I really like it. I enhanced mine with stainless balls (tiny) available on Flea-Bay. The balls really go after the pockets and clean them squeaky clean.

I quit using neck lube too. The powder residue and the resultant roughness that causes erratic seating insertion is gone, another reloading step eliminated. I load for accuracy too. I like to see sub moa groups at 300 yards consistently and IMO, STS helps that to happen.

The only drawback to STS that I've found is on 308 cases. The pins sometimes lodge sideways in the necks. Seems as though the pin length and the neck diameter of a fired case is close so the pins infrequently hang in the neck and have to be removed with a small pick or screwdriver,

Team Savage
    Yes "too clean". Not my words. I am not sure what that means either. I know I spend a lot of time doing brass prep. Half of that time is cleaning off the agents I use for brass prep!

Thats what the pocket brush is for. Just one more thing, for the time being. I know that I could probably get by with half of the things I do just for target practice but I want them to be as good or in the same condition as if I were competing. That way I know what to expect. That is certainly good news about the introduction of more machines. Competition in the market place brings down costs. This is a spendy sport. If I was the only shooter in the family, I would have one already. But the boss wants to go on vacation and stuff like that!! lol