Thread: Powder coated wheel weights

Basic Member

Powder coated wheel weights

If one were to make bullets from powder coated wheel weights, for a 30-06, how fast would you REASONABLY expect to push them before leading issues? I guess it applies to ANY caliber, but I know with the '06 they could be pushed beyond reason a lot easier. Not looking for jacketed speeds really, but it would be nice if they could give reasonable performance.

Banned
    First I would look into the poisoning factor. Cooking the powder off is going to emit fumes and those will be toxic.

Research the process to find out what the lead under it is. Not a clue myself, really soft stuff non coated. We used to mix in linotype to get harder.

Basic Member
    Somewhere between 1200-1400 fps. without a gas check. Powder coating won't work better than good lube at those speeds.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    I have read quite a bit about it on various other forums, and they push them pretty hard, but most of those guys are big bore fans, like my 45-70. It seems to work better than lube for most cases, with zero residue in the barrel. None of them have shot in 30 cal though and was wondering how fast. The coating seems to negate the use of a gas check as well, but am not 100% positive on that.

As for the curing of it, they seem to use a toaster oven, one dedicated for bullet cooking. Many guys do 50+ at one time, and use various colors for different loads. Just for kicks. I have my shop that can be opened up easily, for that and casting bullets. I already cast for several other calibers, so that stuff is the easy part. They also size the bullets after coating with zero cracking.

I was hoping someone here had pushed some hard to see if they leaded the bore. Maybe I'll get a 30 cal mold and give it a try.

Basic Member
    I coat every lead bullet I cast. My 300 black out was moving around 1900 fps, no leading issues. Hope points in the 357 mag open up amazing, but I coat them upside down on rivets that haven't been snapped off. Mushroom perfectly without losing the closing. It really adheres to the lead.

So you are talking about using WW for your lead, then powder coating correct? Not using powder coated WW.

What exactly are you looking to do?

SHM

Basic Member
    Sorry for the delay and yes bullets made from WW lead.

I am considering a medium loaded heavy bullet in my 30-06. Also wondering about light to medium loads in 223. Those would be around 2000 fps or less. Still working on those loads but thought it would be nice to have those loads that wouldn't lead up the barrel with cast bullets.

Banned
    You still did not answer the question.

Is it the WW Lead you want to use Powder Coated?

RC20 I don't think he did answer the question. It was the question.
    If one were to make bullets from powder coated wheel weights, for a 30-06, how fast would you REASONABLY expect to push them before leading issues?
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member
    I see the confusion. Poorly worded question. It should have read, "If I made bullets, cast from wheel weights, then powder coated, yada yada. Sorry didn't know there even was powder coated wheel weights.

"So you are talking about using WW for your lead, then powder coating correct?" YES!!!!!! Casting bullets from WW then powder coating them.

Now back to what SHOULD have been my question, how fast are folks pushing these bullets. I KNOW they are not needing gas checks, and most are exceeding normal cast speeds. Just wondering if anyone on this forum (besides Thatguyshm, thanks for the reply) that has used them in something like 308, '06 etc?

With cast bullets, size (ie..fit) is king. A poorly sized bullet is going to leave some of itself behind at a slower speed. Size your bullet .001 over groove diameter, start slow @ 10gr of pistol powder, Unique for example. And slowly work up to your most accurate load without signs of leading. My model 70 featherweight likes 12 grs. of Unique, very accurate inside 50 yds. No leading. I use 130grbullets from Badman Bullets. You can reach jacketed velocities with harder bullets but prob won't get much above 14-1600fps with straight wheel weights.
    JD

Banned
    RC20 I don't think he did answer the question. It was the question.
    Ahh weed hopper, wisdom says, if the question asker seems confused then perhaps he did not mean it the way he put it!

Quote Originally Posted by RC20 View Post
    Ahh weed hopper, wisdom says, if the question asker seems confused then perhaps he did not mean it the way he put it!
    Exacree
    The Dunning-Kruger effect is alive and well.

Basic Member

Banned
    Agreed but it gave me a good laugh and hopefully others as well

Basic Member
    Powder coated rifle bullets are not as accurate as traditional lubed bullets. Your twist on the barrel is what is going to limit you as to how fast you can push it. Typical 10 twist 3006 is going to limit you to about 1900 fps. Shooting cast can drive you crazy with all of the variables that are involved. But if you are bored shooting jacketed, take on the challenge.

I shoot about 95% lead bullets anymore. If you shoot pistols alot, then powder coating seems to really help out them.

Basic Member
    Thanks tommee boy

SavageShooter
    Powder coating is all the rage in some circles and has been for awhile now. It is a solution to a non-existant problem. There are NO PROBLEMS shooting cast bullets the way they have been shot since they were invented and the only thing powder coating does is make them in colors. Some people have gone dinky dow over that and color code their bullets as to caliber. I know a 30 caliber from a 45 without having one be blue and the other one red and I'll bet you boys do too. It'sa free country and you can powder coat if you choose, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO TRUTH to the notion it is somehow superior to the traditional way of shooting cast bullets and there is NO BALLISTIC PROOF that it is. There is a lot of BALLISTIC BALONEY about powder coating, but it is nothing more than the latest fad dreamed up by bored shooters with nothing better to do. Their claims are completly unsubstantiated because if those powder coated bullets were as good as they claim, every commercial bullet maker would be making them. How many can you name who are?

Basic Member
    ^ what he said.....
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SavageShooter View Post
    Powder coating is all the rage in some circles and has been for awhile now. It is a solution to a non-existant problem. There are NO PROBLEMS shooting cast bullets the way they have been shot since they were invented and the only thing powder coating does is make them in colors. Some people have gone dinky dow over that and color code their bullets as to caliber. I know a 30 caliber from a 45 without having one be blue and the other one red and I'll bet you boys do too. It'sa free country and you can powder coat if you choose, but there is ABSOLUTELY NO TRUTH to the notion it is somehow superior to the traditional way of shooting cast bullets and there is NO BALLISTIC PROOF that it is. There is a lot of BALLISTIC BALONEY about powder coating, but it is nothing more than the latest fad dreamed up by bored shooters with nothing better to do. Their claims are completly unsubstantiated because if those powder coated bullets were as good as they claim, every commercial bullet maker would be making them. How many can you name who are?
    WOW, no actually never thought they were superior to anything, and the ONLY advantage I have heard is basically powder coating replaces the lube.

I have no desire to get into a pissing contest about the validity of PC or not, I asked a question about them. I have shot cast bullets off and on for a few years, and it seems like a viable solution to avoid bullet lube, which I do not like. You or someone else can like it or not, I really don't care, and this thread wasn't started to "prove" anything. It was started to answer a question I had about them.

SavageShooter
    I have no desire to get into a pissing contest about the validity of PC or not
    Nor do I, nor have I attempted to do that. If you read that into my remarks, you read it wrong. Most people understand a synonym for the word "superior" is "better." Powder coated bullets are NOT superior to or "better" than bullets lubed in the traditional method and THAT is what I said. It is my opinion, and it is an opinion shared by a lot of other experienced shooters. If you don't want to know what those opinions are, then don't ask.

For a guy who says he doesn't like bullet lube, you sure picked a strange hobby.

Basic Member
    Actually Federal and one other manufacturer is producing the powder coated pistol bullets as a cheaper alternative. Winchester makes there premium silvertips that are powder coated. I shoot some out of my pistol sometimes. The main advantage is they are cleaner shooting