Thread: Sightron 10x50x60 MOA 2 reticle

Sightron 10x50x60 MOA 2 reticle

I was wanting to see if anyone has this scope that hunts Prairie dogs, or groundhogs at extended ranges 600 to 1000 yards. I like the reticle, but am concerned about the center dot at extended ranges covering smaller targets such as Prairie dogs, or groundhogs. Have heard good reviews on the scope, and was thinking about buying one and trying it out. I did see too that Sightron has a custom shop, so could have the MOA 2 reticle without the center dot installed.
    Any thoughts?

Thanks, Billy

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Unless you are shooting at the dog tick on the left ear of that PD the center dot will do fine.
    "And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” John 8:32 (New King James Version)

Basic Member
    This would be a situation where a second focal plane scope, (sfp) would have an advantage.
    That because the reticle size remains the same size regardless of the power setting on the scope.
    That said the dot size can still be a factor. A 1/4 minit dot is a small dot, and will cover 1/4" at 100 yds.
    Therefore at 400 yards it will cover 1" and at 1000 yds 2.5 inches even with a sfp scope.
    If the dot is a 1" dot, it will cover 1" at 100 yds and 10" at 1000 yds with a sfp scope.
    If the scope is a ffp, it would be worse, due to the reticle size increasing when the power is increased.
    So even thought the reticle size remains constant regardless of power with the sfp scope, the dot will still cover a bigger area according to the distance.
    I would personaly be buying the scope that appeals most to you. If after doing so your not happy, contact somebody like T K Lee for a custom reticle.

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    This would be a situation where a second focal plane scope, (sfp) would have an advantage.
    That because the reticle size remains the same size regardless of the power setting on the scope.
    That said the dot size can still be a factor. A 1/4 minit dot is a small dot, and will cover 1/4" at 100 yds.
    Therefore at 400 yards it will cover 1" and at 1000 yds 2.5 inches even with a sfp scope.
    If the dot is a 1" dot, it will cover 1" at 100 yds and 10" at 1000 yds with a sfp scope.
    If the scope is a ffp, it would be worse, due to the reticle size increasing when the power is increased.
    So even thought the reticle size remains constant regardless of power with the sfp scope, the dot will still cover a bigger area according to the distance.
    I would personaly be buying the scope that appeals most to you. If after doing so your not happy, contact somebody like T K Lee for a custom reticle.
    I should have looked the specs on the reticle, I could have answered my own question. The center dot is 1/4 moa at 100 yards at 24 power. And it is a spf, so at 50 power at 1000 yards would be a bit smaller than 1 1/4". So I just imagine on heavy mirage days having to turn down to 20 power or so may affect targeting smaller critters like prairie dogs, or young groundhogs. I may try to talk to their custom shop, and see what they would charge for the same reticle without the center dot.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    I have a Sightron 6x24 that has had the reticle changed out to fine crosshairs and a 1/8 MOA target dot. Don't see why they couldn't do it on any Sightron scope.

Basic Member
    1/8 minit dots would be a good choice for certain types of shooting. Especially 22 rimfire position shooting where a very small x ring is involved.
    For a gun used for hunting however it would be hard to see, especially with old eyes. I also feel a 50 power setting would have a very limited use due to air clarity.
    I have a 32 power setting on a Nightforce NXS that I have a difficult time using on many days. But that's a personal call also.
    For a l/r hunting gun, which is frankly about all I do with my guns, I would want no less than a 1/2 minit main dot for my 100 yd setting and I would prefer a 1 minit.
    Then at a 5/600 yard space, id have a second fine cross hair or another dot of 1/4 minit size. The space between dots would be determined by the bullet B C and the velocity.
    Windage spaced dots could also be installed on the lower spot, say for 5 and 10 mph wind.
    You can also then use the 5/600 yd dot as your primary dot for longer shots, and use the dial to click from there just as you would with your main 100 yd dot. Difference is you are starting at 5/600 instead of 100 with a better size dot for the distance. And of coarse you gain 600 yds worth of clicks in your scope because your starting at 5/600 instead of 100.
    The fact also is you could do all ive just said with a basic milldot reticle if you know the scope, and pay attention to what your doing.
    But with the custom reticle, there would be just the 2 dots, or as many as you desire, spaced at what ever distances you prefer.
    I have a few now very old Leupold scopes with multible dots from 100 to 1000 yds at 100 yd spacings based on the b c and velocity of the bullet.
    The dot sizes vary from a 1 minit 100 yd dot to 1/8 minit dots for the 900 and 1000 yd.
    If I were doing that today with my current eyesite id go no smaller than 1/4 minit size.