Thread: 93 f 22wmr

93 f 22wmr

I've been a long time Savage fan and never questioned their standards for excellence but, what's up with the magazine on the 93 F series rifles? I've had mine a year and everytime i shoot it the mag either hangs up or spits all the rounds out through the receiver. I finally began adjusting it with pliers and can get it to work for a little while but inevitable it does it again. I'm to the point that i don't trust it for more than one shot and it was not my intention to have a single shot rifle

Has anyone else had this problem? If so how did you correct it?

Sent from my Nexus 10 using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Yup,, on a 93 17 HMR. Bought more magazines. Two worked, tossed the bad ones. Cost almost as much as the rifle testing magazines to get it to work.

It's definitely a black eye for Savage Arms design folks. I wish i had gotten the Marlin now 😞

Basic Member

93 f 22wmr

Agree... Kinda hit and miss for Savage on the 93. I had problems with mine feeding that would push the little 17 bullet into the case even when the magazines were working. Pressure problems and with children using it, too much safety concern, I sold it. I thought about a Marlin too.

A friend has a 93R17 and his has been flawless. He really likes it. I have a 17 Mach 2 and it works well too. Different magazine though.

Basic Member
    Call Savage Tech Support, explain the problem you're having with the magazines and they'll likely send you out replacements. There are some YouTube videos out there pertaining to Sav. 93/17 mag issues you can watch that could be of some benefit to you as well.

I take apart nearly every magazine I own, polish the feed lips and the follower with 1500 then put them back together and nearly 100% of the time, they run smooth as silk for thousands of rounds.

Thanks I'll call them

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Ok so i called Savage and spoke to Mike, he is sending me a new mag at no cost to see if that resolves the problem.

Update: received my new replacement magazine today. Fits nice and tight and cycles perfect. Feels like a new rifle should. Kudos to Savage for a prompt response.

Basic Member
    Great news! Glad it works and Savage responded quickly.

Basic Member
    I have a 93 GL in WMR and I have 3 magazines. Never had an issue with any of them, regardless of ammo. Must have had a bad run.

On the Marlin issue, I once (8-10 years back) bought a Marlin semi auto in 22 WMR. Sweet rifle, but would ONLY cycle and feed the round nose FMJ bullets. Tried several brands and the same issue. The dealer gave me my money back and I bought the 93 I have now. I have never been disappointed with this rifle. Semi auto was nice though. Never did get around to accuracy checking it, because I got too frustrated with feeding issues.